• Tweets

• Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
    • Sorry, I got confused  Yes, it states all three   Thanks, 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Here we go !! **WON**

tristar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

RE sending them again to N/W, is their a template letter to accompany the schedule which refers to the actual claim that has been lodged. i.e I refer to claim No **** please find enclosed etc...... ????

Anyone ?? Please advise.:-?

tristar;-) More than just an account number :mad: !!

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

MCOL Acknowledged 22 May 2007

:lol: Full settlement £5343.20 received 15 June 2007:lol:

:lol:CapQuest; CCA requested 21st May 07, Not Supplied

19th July 2007, Account closed by Capquest no fuirther action.:lol:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tristar, I filed with MCOL on the 2nd, was advised to use the following template:

Dear Sir/Madam

Claim Number: ??????????

v

Please find the enclosed 'schedule of claim for charges' for this case.

Yours faithfully

Hope this is of help

If you have found this post helpful, don't forget to tip my scales

:wink:

thanks hol40017302 for a copy of that letter. I too was unsure on what to write.

Tristar, My mcol was deemed served on 19 May and it says they have untill the 2 June so we seem to be at about the same stage. Its just the waiting now!

thanks hol40017302 for a copy of that letter. I too was unsure on what to write.

Tristar, My mcol was deemed served on 19 May and it says they have untill the 2 June so we seem to be at about the same stage. Its just the waiting now!

Hi tiatia,

We seem to be at the same stage then! scary eh? well stay in touch and we'll sweat it out together, good luck:)

hol40017302 thanks alot, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was following the thread !! Lori1 where are you??

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi tristar, sorry i haven't been around much (lots of exams coming up!!), but i'm back and if you need anything give me a shout and if i can help i will although i have to say you seem to be doing just fine, best of luck xx

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07

Hi tristar, sorry i haven't been around much (lots of exams coming up!!), but i'm back and if you need anything give me a shout and if i can help i will although i have to say you seem to be doing just fine, best of luck xx

Hooray, your back !!! that makes me feel better. Good luck with the exams,(long..... long.... time ago when I did mine) perhaps I should have studied "money management" :p

Speak Soon.

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi Guys, well here's an update. I have received "notice of acknowledgement" from Northampton dated 22 May. stating that they are to defend all of the claim. Now what do I do ??

I also have received a letter dated 22 May from a DCA called "K.P.R Debt Collection" regarding the collection of my overdraft with N/W. It contains the usual stuff about court proceedings and getting a CCJ. Are they allowed to pass this onto a DCA if the account is "in dispute"??

Please advise on best course of action re KPI, should I phone or write to them explaining the "Disputed account" or just hang on and repay it when / if I get the settlement??

The timing is all important here, am I right in thinking they have to 19th June (28 days from 22 may) ?? I'm getting stressed now !! and not feeling to confident about the whole thing.:(

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi Tristar,

With regards the 28 days this from the date that the order is deemed served by the court.

I sent my MCOL on 15th May, they acknowledged 17th May but was not deemed served till 20th May therefore I have to wait till 17th June.

With regards the DCA write back to NW and let them know it is in dispute. DO NOT under any circumstances write to the DCA as this will be classed as acknowledging the debt and you will be liable for it. I've made that mistake in the past and am now fighting to claim monies back.

Nationwide - S.A.R sent 3/1/07

Statements receieved 01/02/07

Pre Lim sent 10/02/07

LBA sent 25/02/07

MCOL Submitted 14/05/2007

Case Closed - Won from NW 14/06/2007

Lloyds TSB -

Prelim sent 30/04/07

LBA Sent 15/05/07

OHs Lloyds TSB

Pre Lim Sent 30/04/07

LBA Sent 15/05/07

T-Mobile - Prelim sent 8/1/07 **WON** 18/1/07

Capital One - Prelim sent 10/01/07

Offer letter receieved 29/01/07

I have received yet another letter from KPR, this time offering me a discount on repayment of the disputed overdraft. This despite my letter to N/W explaining (yet again) the account is in dispute. I received a call at home today requesting I phone KPR to discuss it (again despite my insistance that everything be in writing).

I have also received the standard " we don't refund or repay charges" (that's x3) letter from N/W, which does not address one single question posed in my last letter.

Do I call KPR ?? Do I sent yet another letter to N/W re the dispute??

The MCOL was acknowledged on 22/05, could someone confirm when the 28 days is up please. (Working days or not??)

Any and all advise welcome.

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi there,

The 28 days is up at midnight on the 19/06/07 - some are getting paid back before this date, others like me, have got a defence lodged by Nationwide so awaiting court date - however, if you read my thread you will see that it appears to be the norm as the solicitors have informed me that although a defence has been filed I will be getting my money back!!

Good luck.:)

Hi tristar.

I am a couple of days in front of you & it's like the postman has forgot where I live!!!!!

I have had nothing from the nationwide, nothing in the way of an explanation of defence, though it was filed last Wednesday, & checked the account Monday & no money either.

The only thing I am pleased about is the fact that I have got this far & completed all the steps correctly so there's no way out.

Hanging on in here but it is nerve wracking & I never was a poker player.

Andrew

Thanks all,

I know what you mean about nerve racking:eek: I just keep thinking I'll be the one they have a go at to make a stand !! and I keep wondering and checking that I have followed all the right procedures. They have taken the account off line so I don't know how I will be able to check to see if they are paying up, save going into the branch evey 5 minutes !! They have put KPR (their own in house DCA) to collect the outstanding O/D and they keep insisting I call them (KPR) I have said the account is in dispute and eveything should be in wroting only, but they are piling the pressure on and it just makes wating worse.

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi tristar!

Nationwide's DCA will have 'flagged' your account.

This is to make U contact them so that they can put unsympathetic duress on U to pay your "DEBT" to them.

If blocking your access to your online Flexaccount doesn't work, they will eventually 'FREEZE' your Flexaccount!!!

btw...How's Lori et al getting on?...;)...:D

Hi MTM, Thanks. Lori et al seem ok. Have posted but have say at this stage I'm happy here. Whilst I have your attention, what is required (list) in a court bundle??

Regards

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Hi there,

The 28 days is up at midnight on the 19/06/07 - some are getting paid back before this date, others like me, have got a defence lodged by Nationwide so awaiting court date - however, if you read my thread you will see that it appears to be the norm as the solicitors have informed me that although a defence has been filed I will be getting my money back!!

Good luck.:)

Hi Tristar,

Your 28 days begin on from the date the papers are deemed served. This is usually 5 days after you enter through MCOL and will be stated on your papers sent from the court.

The date girlybiker has quoted above is 28 days from acknowledgement. Check your original papers from the court. It will be on their.

28 days is calender days but obviously if the 28th day falls on a weekend (as mine does 17th June) then you follow on to the next working day.

Keep focused. You will get your money back. NW seem to be randomly paying out either just before MCOL deadline or just before court. There is no pattern to who and how they are paying up.

If this post was useful please click on my scales and leave a rep comment.

• Haha 1

Nationwide - S.A.R sent 3/1/07

Statements receieved 01/02/07

Pre Lim sent 10/02/07

LBA sent 25/02/07

MCOL Submitted 14/05/2007

Case Closed - Won from NW 14/06/2007

Lloyds TSB -

Prelim sent 30/04/07

LBA Sent 15/05/07

OHs Lloyds TSB

Pre Lim Sent 30/04/07

LBA Sent 15/05/07

T-Mobile - Prelim sent 8/1/07 **WON** 18/1/07

Capital One - Prelim sent 10/01/07

Offer letter receieved 29/01/07

K P R DEBT COLLECTION :-x

Well, I don't know where to start !! I received a letter from them yesterday, even though I have written to them twice now explaining the account is in dispute. This letter was headed in large bold letters as "FINAL NOTICE" they went on to say that as I had failed to comply with their request to make any arrangement to repay the disputed amount, that if I did not respond in 7 days they would be passing to their solicitors who would:

" Get a charging order on your property" and that "You will be forced to sell your home".

I could not resist calling these ars*****holes !!

I was calm and polite and explained the situation to the idiot on the other end. He then said it would be passed to Nationwide. I asked why then did the letter state it would be passed onto "Their" (KPR) solicitors, he tried to explain that KPR were Nationwide, So why does the letterhead state KPR? and you state "our solicitors" he could not answer the question !!. He would not accept that no further action be taken and said I would be hearing from the solicitors within 21 days.

I am so f***ing angry if he had been in front of me I would have decked him!!!:-x

Are they allowed to do this ?? The letter was threatening, intimidating and they have obviously not read any of my letters, what can do (legally) to force these people to back off? If the law is on my side, why can they just ignore it??

advice please, ta.

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

So glad I found this thread. I am also in the same boat.

My thread is 'Longley v Nationwide' but I am sorry I dont know how to link to it!

We also are dealing with KPR due to a £300 unauthorised overdraft created by our dear friends Nationwide...We filed in court via N1 and NW entered a defence to defend all of the claim on 30th May so they have till 27th June.

We have toyed with paying off the U/O as I am worried it will affect our claim in court, however as the debt is made up PURELY of charges applied all except 54p I am feeling like I wont! Tristar what are your thoughts on this?

Husband rang KPR and told them the amount was in dispute and so they cant collect on it and they have halted till July and a very snooty lady told him 'the courts are ruling in favour of the banks now dont you know'

We dont use the account so it isnt a problem other than loosing the internet banking, so it isnt as easy to look at the balance. Also if we went into the branch they may take the cash card away (although there wouldnt be alot of point!!)

Will they still pay into that account do you think WHEN we win??

It is a real headache but thank god we havent had letters like you have Tristar, how can they get a charge on your property if the debt isnt linked to it eg. a secured loan??? I didnt think that was possible. I was also shocked to know that KPR are the Nationwide.

Hang in there :)

Jane

Tristar I went 'a searching' within the forum in the Debt section and found this link

Resisting harassment from creditors with the Wonga Wallah

It states

The laws that protect people in debt from unreasonable behaviour from creditors or their agents are: Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and specifically, The Protection from Harassment Act 1997. These state that it is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE if a creditor or their agent makes demands for payment in such a way that it causes alarm, distress or humiliation to a debtor or their family.

Have a read of it , hope it helps.

Jane

Hi Willow,

I've calmed down now and thought about this. I will check out the thread, thanks. I will also fire off a letter to KPR with all the relevent legal details and see if they back off a bit. I would still like to report them but need to check I'm on firm ground before I go down that path. As for Checking the balance? Can't help I'm afraid. It seems you have to go into the branch. They may send either a cheque or pay the returned charges into the account once they removed the "indicator" on the account. I filed MCOL on 17/05 and so next week is "D" day:eek: , no defence filed yet, just an aknowledgement. If you look at the very very small print at the bottom of your KPR letter you will see they a"business name of Nationwide Building Society" and are even based in the Pipers Way Offices!!

Stay in touch and I'll keep you info'd on my progress. Good luck with you case.

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

Yes keep me updated :)

Roll on 27th for me.....I would like it to all be over now! Yes I only have an Acknowledgement too at this moment in time wonder if they will put a defence in by 28 days or run over like they seem to be doing with alot of people? Time will tell

Good luck 2 u tooJane

:D BINGO:D I've won:D

I am beside myself with joy, astonishment, pride and feel as if I have won the lottery:D

As you are all by now aware I cannot check my account online as it has an "indicator" on it. The time of reckoning was next week (19th /20th) for them to file a defence, so nerves were jangling:eek:

Well this a.m I opened a letter N/W to find that they confirm they have refunded:

GBP 4193 in charges and cancelled GBP 42.09 in pending charge PLUS

GBP 250 to cover my costs PLUS

GBP 900.20 which represents interest claimed.

TOTAL GBP 5343.20

What a rush:lol:

Thanks to all who have assisted and guilded me through this process, I really can't thank you all enough. Special mention to Lori1 who inspired me in the first instance. Thankyou thankyou thankyou !!!!

NATIONWIDE ROUND ONE

Prelim sent 11 APR 2007

LBA sent 20 APR 2007

:D BINGO:D I've won:D
The 'Foxy Lady' has been having a 'Gala' praying towards 'Mecca' this w/e then eh??!...lol...:p

...feel as if I have won the lottery

Try to be reasonable!

...U know that a little ol' lady of 85yrs from Eastbourne, with NO living relatives + only 27 cats for company, will win it tonight!...(...again!!!)...lol...:D

As you are all by now aware I cannot check my account online as it has an "indicator" on it. The time of reckoning was next week (19th /20th) for them to file a defence, so nerves were jangling
Daily visits to your local Branch, until it's ALL been paid then!...lol

DON'T tell the Court your Claim has been 'Settled in FULL'...until it actually has!...;)