• Tweets

• Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

B Hedge v. Natwest

bhedge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has been good enough to post their experiences they have been very helpful.

Secondly my situation, I have sent the 'request for repayment of charges' letter and the LBA including schedule of charges both of which were ignored by the Natwest. I have therefore issued a claim in the County Court and received a Acknowledgment of Service from Cobbett's.

I have been away over Easter and when I returned I found an offer letter dated 4th April from Natwest Customer Relations sap Stuart Higley offering me a 'goodwill' £2904 (the claim is for £3089.50). However I also received Cobbett's defence (pretty standard letter I think) dated 5th April.

My questions are; am I right to reject this as a full settlement and pursue the additional 8% statutory interest and court fee? Is this a common tactic by them to try and wrong-foot us?

Thanks in advance

B Hedge

Guest NATTIE

yes you can reject this as it is not a full settlement, is this a tactic? no there are many occasions when a call to the bank can reveal the offer that will be made(usually charges minus interest).

Allocation Questionnaires - A guide to completion

You could also propose a Draft Directions Order:

New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

Other Information - Section G:

I am respectfully requesting that my claim be allocated to the small claims track.

This issue is not a complicated one; it is an issue of fact and not of law. The issue is only whether the money levied by the Defendant in respect of its customer’s contractual breaches exceed their actual costs incurred. I am happy to pay their actual costs and I am surprised the Defendant did not counterclaim for these, because I would have paid them without argument.

However, the continuing problem is, (in common with the 100s of other cases currently being brought by other bank customers), that the banks refuse to reveal the details of their penalty-charging regime. As the banks have a fiduciary duty towards their customers, they have a duty to deal straightforwardly and in utmost good faith.

Accordingly, I would respectfully ask that the court in this case, not withstanding allocation to the small claims track, order standard disclosure. I understand that it is in the courts discretion to do so. This would bring a rapid end, not only to this litigation, but would also likely bring an end to much of the litigation in progress against other high-street banks.

It's a bit of squeeze, but very important you enter all the details.

Include copy of schedule

Cheque to HM Courts Service

Fee will be added automatically to your claim

Send copy of your AQ to Cobbetts

Hope this helps!!

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

To be honest I dont think it would. There have been several people who've made more than one claim against the same bank and the fact that they've recieved settlement from one didn't make the second claim any quicker, so cant really see the mention of an offer speeding things up in anyway!!

• Haha 1

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's continued help, another query though:

Today I received the Defendants AQ with this in the "other info" section:

"The claimant has not shown that they have reasonable grounds for bringing the claim and despite the Defendant requesting that the Claimant remedy the lack of particularity pleaded in the Particulars of Claim, the Claimant has failed to do so. Case management directions cannot be processed until the Claimant fully particularises their Claim. In light of this, the Defendant may amend its Defence or apply to strike out."

I've searched on this but can find no consistent course of action.

My POC were cut and pasted from the templates section on this site (with slight modifications) with a schedule of charges, and my AQ was completed in line with the "New strategy for AQs" thread.

My questions are, is this just a delaying tactic, is it worth resending Cobblers a copy, should I be worried about a potential striking out application or should I stand firm and ignore it?

Plus they've filled in an N149 but the court sent me a N150, is this relevant?

Thanks very much in advance.

Thanks for everyone's continued help, another query though:

Today I received the Defendants AQ with this in the "other info" section:

"The claimant has not shown that they have reasonable grounds for bringing the claim and despite the Defendant requesting that the Claimant remedy the lack of particularity pleaded in the Particulars of Claim, the Claimant has failed to do so. Case management directions cannot be processed until the Claimant fully particularises their Claim. In light of this, the Defendant may amend its Defence or apply to strike out." dont do anything

I've searched on this but can find no consistent course of action.

My POC were cut and pasted from the templates section on this site (with slight modifications) with a schedule of charges, and my AQ was completed in line with the "New strategy for AQs" thread.Both OK

My questions are, is this just a delaying tactic, is it worth resending Cobblers a copy, should I be worried about a potential striking out application or should I stand firm and ignore it?Delaying & ignore it

Plus they've filled in an N149 but the court sent me a N150, is this relevant? Doesn't matter

Thanks very much in advance.

All standard stuff from cobblers

Dont worry

Scott

• Haha 1

Thanks for very much your reply.

Just an update: the AQ deadline was Monday 30th April and I phoned the court this morning to see if Cobblers had missed it. It seems they have as they have not yet filed their AQ, so I'm hoping the judge will be thoroughly sick of banks and their shenanigans and penalise them in some way.

I'm a bit peeved that they can use the court system in this way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the "Allocation to the Small Claims Track (Hearing)" letter on it there is no mention of any 'directions'. It does say all documents to be relied upon must be submitted etc. which I guess is the standard bit. Am I to assume my draft order for directions was not ordered?

It has been allocated 10 minutes (only 10?) on 5th June.

Thanks for everyone's continued advice.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question.

If Cobblers settle before it gets to court do you still get the s.69 interest? I ask because my court date is Tuesday and I've just got back from a week away to find a special delivery note telling me there is a letter to sign for at the sorting office which I hope is from them (or is that wishful thinking?).

Thanks in advance

B Hedge

Quick answer - yes!

And if they don't, hold it for it at this stage.

Good luck - hope the letters a full settlement offer of charges, interest and court cost. xxx :p

• Haha 1

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here but if it is not the full amount what is considered the best means of approaching them, a telephone call? Do I suggest they do a BACS transfer if they want to avoid court on Tuesday?

Thanks

B Hedge

bhedge Just a few words of warning. Of course dependant on which court you are in be prepared. Did you answer the Cobblers CPR 18 y/n if you used the standard NO then be prepared for cobblers to ask for a direction first to make you respond to it. I fell for that one. Is your court bundle to spec. Are the pages numbered and contents list to match. If the judge gives direction for you to comply to the CPR 18 then ask for 14 days to comply.Then as for the next hearing to be a directions hearing saying that you can only answer the CPR18 in generic terms because NatWest has failed to supply you with all the information as request within your Access Letter. This will then open the door for you to slap a CPR18 on NatWestThis he should grant. You can always request that the case be sent to Crown Court this will probably be thrown out and at least Cobbetts will argue for it not to go.In any case Cobblers will probably phone you at about 15:30 on Monday and make an offer. This offer will be less than your total so then it is up to you if you take it or not.StevePMIf you find this helpful please check my scales.

• Haha 1

StevePM

If you find this useful please tip my scales

First win £5k+ another five on the go all with NatWest

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope my bundle is up to scratch. Although I didn't number the pages I did make sure my contents were comprehensive and did it indicate the order of the bundle. Cobblers haven't submitted one and with the court date being two days away (Tues 5th June 2.00pm) I guess they can't.

As for CPR18, they never sent me one. I think they may have been wrong footed by the court date being so soon - I followed the new method for the AQ and asked for a Draft order of Directions but the judge didn't order it instead in reply he gave us a court date which was only two weeks away - I suppose that had a similar effect as the Draft order as it cut the potential time scale significantly.

What is an Access Letter Is that the S.A.R? I didn't send one, only the Data Protection letter, should I have done?

arnt you the lucky one no CPR18 but I would guess they will try to spring this on you at the court

Good luck

StevePM

if you need help just scream

StevePM

If you find this useful please tip my scales

First win £5k+ another five on the go all with NatWest

Can they realistically use the court given that they haven't submitted a bundle and I wont give them permission to use any evidence they haven't already submitted?

Well I'm pleased to say that the two Special Delivery letters waiting for me at the sorting office were the NastyWest paying up the full amount, £4200 (the day before the hearing as usual)! So this thread can be marked as settled or won or something.

The letter said they'd win if it went to court blah blah but I found it funny that the 'revisal fee' I tried to claim back they wouldn't pay as they claim it is a 'legitimate' charge, oh, so does that mean they others were illegitimate?

I was claiming back fees for a dissolved company so for anyone else about to do this, the way I did it was to claim in my name (not on behalf of...) but still delete all references to consumer law and on your schedule of charges put the account name as your company name. This way you're not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, so when the time comes you should still get a cheque made out to you rather than your dissolved company. Well it worked for me anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's invaluable help, I would have found it a lot more stressful without it.

Regards

B Hedge

Well done mate.......... CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!!

Another fine win for the CAGGERS!!!!

Enjoy the cash, best wishes, hedgey

xxx :D :D :D

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.