Cheshire Building Society

calvi36

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys I was directed here by Tide Turner, ta matey. I have read Allan from debys long thread and there is a lot of useful information there.

Here's my problem and all help is greatly apprciated.

I bought a house in chester in 1998 for £92,000 at auction and did all the refurbishments myself. In 1999 there was a fire at my home whilst I was away working and tragically I lost my partner and two children. The house was partially destroyed by the fire and the insurance kicked in. The home was rebuilt and I continued to live there but I could not work and could not pay the mortgage. The mortgage was interest only for £56,000. The Cheshire Building Society were not at all helpful and reposessed the house. I had already had the house on the market as I knew I could not work nor pay the mortgage. I had 3 valuations done on the house prior to putting it on the market and the average valuation was £235,000. The building society sold the property for way below the market value, sold for £165,000. Out of this I had £48,000 charges to the building society and £21,750 legal bill.

I was out of pocket by £70,000 for sale below market value and the £48,000 charges. Do I deal with this with standard DPA letter to start off with. This is quite a hefty one and from Alanfromderbys post this would have to go multi track if this is the case then I could not afford to pursue this. Also, am I time barred from claiming?

Hi Calvi,

Firstly, I am so sorry for the loss of your family... I cannot put into words how difficult this was to read....

I am certainly no expert on the kind of situation you've described, but it seems that the SAR would form the basis of your fight for any information. I don't believe you are time-barred because this kicks in from the date of discovery. As for the multi-track.... I would imagine it would be heard this way, but someone else would need to confirm for certain. If you are on means-tested Benefits though, this should effect the amount you need to pay... if anything at all.

Tide has gone down a similar route re. an old mortgage... so he is probably able to give you lots of advice on this. It's certainly worth you reading his thread if you have not yet done so.

:)

• 1 month later...

having seen your other posts- i have read your thread-it is so sad- I wish I could help more but it is so long sice I left my Building society that I am out of date with current rulings. I do know there were regulations in my day about how the property should be marketed and I think it had to be on the market with a minimum of three agents for a certain amount of time before they could consider auction. But to be honest at my office we rarely went to possesion- it was a very last resort. Did you not get help from social security with your interest payments at the time?- were the charges all additional interest charges as the payments were not paid - or were there penalties as well? Wish I could help .

jansus

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi jansus, I dont know the full story yet. I am awaiting the reply to the sar, once I have that I will be better informed. The house was sold for 165k when an offer of 185k had been rejected by the building society. The average of 3 valuations I had done was 235k. I have spoken at length with tide and he is an immense help. I will now be going for a claim for selling below market value and also damages, I think my claim might even be more than tides but we shall see. benefits paid me dole money that was all. I dont know about penalties as my head was upside down, the sar will disclose that

Calvi36, insist on all valuations, the name of the estate agents, and the name of the person or company it was sold to.

Can we find a pattern here, in particular between estate agent and purchaser.

In my experience, you may purchase one property, then a second, maybe move on to a third.

Anything outside of that must be a business transaction.

Therefore, if an estate agent has sold a property to anybody who has a history of buying properties, there must be a business interest. More than three properties purchased from the same estate agents conforms to a relationship. They are not purchasing the property to live in.

Additionally, any member of staff who has received a favour or a bargain should consider the loss of the person to whom the property belonged.

It is wrong.

Tide