cathy vs hsbc

cathyd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm in the process of reclaiming bank charges from hsbc, and would appreciate some advice please.

Sent a DPA disclosure request on 5th Feb, and after a couple of chase up calls, all statements going back 6 years arrived. I calculated the actual total charges to reclaim, and sent a 14 day letter on 20th March. My problem is twofold:

Firstly, I did not include a list of all individual transactions with the 14 day LBA, just requested the total amount. I recevied a letter today (dated 3rd April) stating that in order to consider my request I need to provide a full itemised breakdown of these charges. Is this just a delaying tactic to ignore, or should I supply the breakdown as requested. If I send the breakdown, how long should I give them to respond?

Secondly, I didn't add interest to the amount requested in the 14 day letter, just the actual value of charges I was reclaiming, but now seems maybe I should have (just to clarify, I mean interest on charges levied, not bank interest I've paid for being overdrawn). Is it too late for me to add interest now - if it's not, and I decide to send them an itemised list of transactions, could I also include interest at this stage, or could this pose a problem if the figure I'm claiming in my next letter differs from the initial amount requested?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cathy.

it seems, cathy, that you have a partial understanding of the process but may have gotten a little confused over some of it - let me help you out.

you've got your statements - that's great. next you go over your statements and circle or make a list of all the charges - cross referencing with this info: Charges description on statements - Please Read.

You are ok sending a list of the charges - oldest first, what each charge is called and an amount but at some point you will need to enter them onto a spreadsheet to calculate the interest for your claim.

so, first (prelim) letter - you send asking for your charges back and include a list of charges as described above. then 14 days later you send the lba - again with a list of charges included. after the next 14 days - you will be ready to file a claim on mcol - you will then and only then be able to include the 8% interest which you will then be asking for through the claim. (this site says do not ask for the interest before you file the claim).

so, make your list - or preferably just put them on a spreadsheet (you can fold back or cover over the 8% column and this makes a great list of charges for the first couple of letters). as you've not sent the charges in the acceptable form - were i you - i'd get them on a s/s and resend the lba - giving them a further 7 days to respond and then file your claim. it could be argued that you could go ahead and file - but i think in fairness you should submit your charges to them in acceptable fashion before filing.

if you don't understand any of this - get back and we will help you to understand it.

Thanks for that. I do have it all in a spreadsheet already, so will send the list with another letter tomorrow.

Will the standard LBA in the templates list be ok, or should I just simply reply to their letter requesting the itemised list and give then 7 days?

Also, would you think it's best to continue sending the letters to my branch as I have done so far, or is it better to send future correspondance to the address in the letter I received today?

Thanks again,

Cathy

in your case think i'd copy the original lba, send the breakdown with a cover note saying - i will extend my deadline by seven days to allow you to respond to my charges in this format. I will then file a claim.

and send to whomever sent the letter (colin langdale in leeds, presumably)

and send it recorded delivery.