A&L closed my partners account because of her association with me!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I love this site, excellant free advice.

I am about to sue A&L for unlawful bank charges of around £1200, just awaiting a court date, I have been writing to them for the best part of a year but only after discovering this site did I have the courage to take them to court, little ol me could not possibly beat the big bank in a court case, well I was wrong and I am a few weeks away from getting my money back.:)

Anyway, my thread.

The header says it all really. My partner had an account with A&L and last May she was given 30 days notice that the account would be closed because of her association with account number 321******, which was principly my account but was a joint account and an account they had also closed at 30 days notice.

I believe they closed her account because I was kicking up a fuss about the charges on the other account, this is the actual wording on the letter;

"as you will be aware banking facilities on account 321****** have been withdrawn due to the overdrawn situation (£300 approx). As a result we are not willing to allow you to continue to use the above account. With effect from 16th June 2006 we will close the account".

She had a £250 overdraft, which she constantly lived in. It was actually TWICE her weekly wage. I wrote to them at the time complaining that I thought they were lending irresponsibly as she only earned £500 a month and they initially offered her a £300 overdaft and visa card. Whereas the joint account, my account, they would only give me £100 overdraft and visa electron card and I had around £1600 per month going in at that time. :???:

I complained, their response, she doesn't have to spend the £300!!!!:eek:

We feel they closed her account in retaliation for the impending court action on the joint account.:evil:

They have also defaulted our credit files after closing these accounts. I have requested the removal of the default as part of my litigation, but how do I go about removing the default on my partners credit file? She had around £218 in charges, we have just sent them an LBA.

Could somebody please advise our next step? We want to make their lives as uncomfortable as they made ours and that means screwing them for a few bob as well then great.

We understand there is a possibility that compensation can be sought for this punitive action taken by the bank, do we write to them or directly or to the FOS and send A&L a copy?

All good advice welcome.:-D

The account closure requires you to complete your complaint with All&Pester first. ie you need to continue your complaint until you get a letter that says "final decision" you then take it to the FOS. I am not sure if you will get compensation as a matter of course, but the more complaints go in the greater the chance that the FOS might actually decide to do their jobs!

Read the FAQS look at the template letters, understand the process, before you open up on them :D

There are plenty of threads on the issue of defaults, lots of reading for you :)

There are plenty of other things you can do to increase the pressure. Letter to your MP, complaint to the OFT re unfit to hold credit licence etc etc.

Not least of which of course is the joy in getting your money back from them :-D:-D

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.