• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wingnutta vs NatWest**WON**

wingnutta
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd be inclined to say that for £2........... leave it for cobbetts to pick up on!!!! However, if you really do want to be completely spot on, you could ask the court if you could re-submit your schedule of charges - phone them tomorrow and ask (copy to cobbetts if they agree). They may want you to fill in an amendment form to do so though (but for £2, they'd be splitting hairs!) ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i will take the advice and sit tight. Thanku very much for settling my nerves. Was just worried that they can render my claim void as there is a minor mistake. Thanks again.

Now i have the paperwork back to the original figures i sent to natwest, shall i send the letter stickied by ed to the court along with another copy of the charges to cobbetts or not??? Am i doing anything wrong by not responding to cobbetts per the cpr18 request???

Prelim sent 10 April - Nothing received :rolleyes:

LBA sent 24th April - Nothing received :rolleyes:

Issued Court Claim 10th May - Pending :rolleyes:

You're not doing anything wrong - you only have to respond to the CPR18 if the courts order you to do so.

If you do want to respond, send them the letter along with another copy of your schedule of charges - plus the letter to the court re: CPR18.

Don't worry, you'll be fine! ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Keep at them mate........... you're doing a grand job! x;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

• 2 weeks later...

ok, firstly hope everyone is well.. its been a couple of weeks and i have heard nothing till tody. I received a letter from my county court at hitchin where my case has been transferred to with the following statement:

"Upon reading the court file

It is ordered that

1. The claim be stayed as it makes no serious attempt to comply with CPR16.4(1) by setting out a concise statement of the facts.(stylised particulars do not constitute compliance.) The claimant must amend or substitute the particulars of the claim by setting out the case and by including details of the charges complained of, how they are calculated and in what circumstances they wer incurred. The claimant should note that sending copy correspondence and/or copies of bank statements will not suffice.

Claiment has until 4pm 25th july 2007 to comply with this order. In default the claim be struck out without further notice."

johnee had same problem here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/103207-cpr-16-4-1-a.html?highlight=concise+statement

No solution there though.

Please help as i too am getting quite down beat about this - i dont mind the work to put in, i am just fed up with being given the runaround really :( . After the cpr 18 request i sent another copy of my charges apreadsheet to both the court and cobblers along with a letter about as its small claims no need for cpr part 18 etcc.. (the one by ed).

What is the judge (Judge Willers) asking for????... Help!!! :confused:

wingnutta, This is what the judge has ordered you to comply with,

16.4 (1)Particulars of claim must include –

(a)a concise statement of the facts on which the claimant relies;

(b)if the claimant is seeking interest, a statement to that effect and the details set out in paragraph (2);

©if the claimant is seeking aggravated damages or exemplary damages , a statement to that effect and his grounds for claiming them;

(d)if the claimant is seeking provisional damages, a statement to that effect and his grounds for claiming them; and

(e)such other matters as may be set out in a practice direction.

So what have you submitted in your POC ? Obviously c, d, & e do not apply. So the problem is with your POC. Can you post it on the site so we can have a look ?

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

ah ok - i did mine on MCOL so i think there lies the problem. I used the template for it from this site but i guess the judge wants more, Below is what i put in my POC online:

Particulars of claim 9/5/2007

1.The Claimant has 2 accounts xxxxxxx / xxxxxxx with the Defendant, opened Nov 2000 2.Since xx/xx/xx the defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract. 3.Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent. 4.Claimant contends:(a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches;(b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law. 5.Claimant claims:(a)return of the amounts debited of £1092;(b)Interest per S.69 County Courts Act 1984 of 8% - £304.68 (29/03/01 - 09/05/07)continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.30; 6.Alternatively,if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. 7.Costs allowed by the Court.

How do i change this then????

Just to be on the safe side i shall get a mod to advise. We must get your reply exactly right.

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Wingnutta

I think you are right - MCOL is the problem - I have seen several like this and worse. Some have had threats to strike out their claim. The MCOL form just doesn't have enough space to put in everything you need.

What you need to do is to produce a new PoC based on the one for an N1 in the templates library. Ring the court and ask whether you can just send it in or whether you need to fill in (and pay for) a N244 as well.

(PS for any mod that is watching - as this sort of problem is quite common shouldn't we be advising people to use the N1 route rather than MCOL?)

• Haha 1

I agree with steven, but let a mod have a look before you commit yourself.

You will need to issue a revised particulars of claim, along the lines of those on the N1 template. This will need to be done on an N244, and you will need to provide the court with three copies - one which will be forwarded by the court to the banks solicitors.

The judge has also asked for a full list of the charges incurred, and the reason why they were incurred - this is basically the description on the statement (again three copies). He has specifically said he does not want the statements - he wants a list of the charges.

Hi Alan (from derby that is)

N255? is inflation really high in Derby?

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

There you are Wingnutta. Onwards and upwards. Good luck. i think as steven has noticed it is an N244 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/41901-form-n244-application-notice.html Not an N255 which is default costs certificate.

This thead should be helpful for the amendment wingnutta The "Claim Too vague" defence and guide to amending a claim

Best of luck :)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

You must refile your claim using an N1 form and the Particulars of Claim from the library.

There is no reason to be downbeat about this. Simply file an N1 at the court where you got that order with new Particulars on it.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

ok, thats sounds great and i really appreciate all the help!! Just to get this absolutely right - i will ring the court tomorrow and see of they just want a new set of POC's, but if they want it officially am i right in saying that i fill in a N244 form BASED on the N1 form (i know about the £35 fee) or do i send a N1 form ALONG with the N244 aswell??? ( 3 copies of each aswell! :) ). Really cant stress the gratitude for helping me out on this - thanks again all!

Yes you send a form N1 with the N244. The court may allow you to just submit a revised PoC since it is response to their order. The revised PoC will be the same in either case. 3 copies either way as well.

Ring them and ask as you suggested above.

Steven

I have now received further advice on this, and actually you don't even need a form N244, as the judge has asked you to amend the claim - therefore you od not need to get permission to do so.

On that basis you simply need to submit an amended particulars, along with the other information, to the court and the defendant.

Alan

That's useful clarification.

Steven

ok thats great, i will use the not-cut-down version of the POC in the template part and send it off immediately. Is it my responsibility to send it to cobblers or do i still send 3 copies to the court???

So post #69 is invisible to all but me then?

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received