• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Action Underway - The First 'Bluff' Letter

1Peter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What a great site! This is my first time on the forum.

I bank with Woolwich :0( and want to reclaim charges but I have a couple of questions:

1) My account is joint with my wife. Do we both have to sign the initial Data Proection Act Letter requesting a statement of all charges?

2) Does any one know how likely the Woolwich are to close down accounts for those trying to claim back charges? My credit rating isn't great and it would be hard to open another account.

3) Some of my past charges were refunded. Can I request a list of these in the inital DPA letter?

Many thanks for any help

hi and welcome to the site 1 Peter:

1/ Both parties sign all corespondance

2/ Unlikely but advise to open parachute account elsewhere just in case.

3/ When you get your statements back this will show, so you need not ask.

1/ This is YOUR money.

2/ YOU set the timescales not them.

3/ Treat them as they have treated you over the years.

Hi 1Peter

There are plenty of banks/societies who provide banking facilited for people with less than perfect credit. These normally don't give O/D facilities or associated credit cards from offset but I can recommend the Alliance & Leicester if you have at least £500 depositing into your account every month.

As long as you are on the electoral register, currently have banking facilites (which you do), you can apply online and generally get a yey or ney within 48 hours by email. A&L even give accounts to unemployed/on benefits applicants and provide online,telephone and branch banking with a cheques book, cash-visa debit card and DD/SOs.

One thing though is that their automatice switching process (where they trannsfer all you existing regular payments over and close down your old account with old bank) is a bit unreliable and I wish I had done it manually myself as they cocked up some DDs.

I believe the Co-Op offer a basic bank account for those with advers credit history however this normally only offers a cashcard, not debit or cheque book.

Welcometo the Woolly fight back, once you get going open a dedicated thread like the rest of us :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Thanks for the info. Welshcakes.

The Woolwich have always been less than great but my heart sank when Barclays took them over - Even more so after last nights TV programme. At last I can call the tune for once!

i opened a natwest step account online, it was really easy and they sent the paper work to me within 2 days all i had to do was sign and send back and 7 days later i got a solo card. it might be worth opening one even if u dont use it

amanda

• 3 weeks later...

The ball is now rolling and I’ve had my first letter back from Woolwich (on Barclays headed paper) in response to my DPA request (using the CAG template). They returned my cheque for £10 and advised that my schedule of charges will be forthcoming. They also included the following paragraph in the letter and I’m not sure if this is just standard wording:

“As regards your mention of ‘manual intervention’, the DPA does not oblige the Bank to comment about internal policies and procedures. Furthermore, in the context of managing day to day transactions arising from out of order accounts, the Bank does not hold the information you have requested in a form that would be covered by the DPA. Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute ‘personal data’ under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request. For the avoidance of doubt, the fact that we do not generally record information in a way that is caught by the provisions of the DPA, is in no way as admission that there was no such manual intervention.’

Signed by an automated signature – A M Miskell – Andrew Miskell – Privacy and Data Protection Dept at Barclays.

Has anyone else seen this wording? Is it just legal crap?

Thanks

Peter

Threads merged - Please stick to one thread

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP - Does anybody know if the 40 days the banks have to reply to my DPA are 40 working days or 40 consecutive days? I sent my DPA letter to the Woolwich on the 22nd March via next day delivery, although I’ve just has a letter from them saying they only received it on the 11th April and that they aim to provide me with an answer by the 10th of May – I make that 48 days!

Is this enough to register a complaint? Who to?

As ever, many thanks

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve received my list of charges from the Woolwich - £2,319!

Does anyone have a working link to the schedule of charges excel spreadsheet that I need to complete and send with my request for repayment of charges? All the links on the template site for this spreadsheet appear to be broken.

Many thanks

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Sent my letter before action last week. All I’ve had from Barclays so far is their standard letter of reply – TWICE! Has anyone had an offer letter from Barclays before filing for court? Their incompetence amazes me:

1) The account I’m claiming back charges for is a joint account with me wife and we’ve both signed all letters. However, Barclay’s replies are only ever addressed to me!

2) In Barclay’s standard reply they say that they cannot guarantee to reply within the timescale I have given them (14 days), and go on to say that they aim to sort out the issue within four weeks. However, in the same paragraph they also say that a full report and update on progress will be sent to me within eight weeks!

3) Barclay’s standard reply directs readers to the leaflet they send with the letter for more details of their complaints procedures. The leaflet claims that when a complaint cannot be sorted out straight away Barclays will give you the name and contact details of the case manager investigating the complaint. We’ll I’ve been writing to Barclays since March and I’ve had no case manager details.

Barclays must think we’re all mugs!

Pete

Time’s up! Filed with MCOL yesterday. So far the letters I’ve had with Barclays have been textbook – Is there a common response from Woolwich / Barclays at this stage?

Pete