• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Conkers of Brunel and Co Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have been hearing alot about claiming one's bank charges.I want to claim mine with Natwest. However I need some advice.

I came across a link from a company called Conkers ( a division of Brunel Franklin and Company Limited) on the Aol homepage. They said they could help me claim my bank charges. I was sent a letter of Authority and letter of engagement to sign so they can take action.They said it will be a 'no win, no fee' guarantee.

My questions are What is the downside of using 'a go between' in claiming my bank charges? Or is it better to approach the bank on my own?

Has anyone heard of Conkers or used them before? Any advice is appreciated.

you can do it by yourself quite easilly

these guys will take at least 20 - 30% or maybe more of YOUR money.

theyre worse than the banks !!!!

there have been thousands of successful claims by people using the methods here myself included. its easy.

But if you want to waste your money.......its your choice

I wouldnt touch em with a barge pole

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

• 5 months later...

I never post on these, but this one has got me a bit upset.

Right, no pity ok, but the following is me: I am trying to scratch back the charges off of two loans (PPI) 6 credit cards (mine and hubbys) and 4 bank accounts (same). While running a household, working both a full time job and a weekend job, doing a degree, and sorting out hubby who has terminal cancer - benefit letters, grants, shuttling to hospital, and other such nonsense. We do not own a home and I am trying to clear our debt and credit in under 6 months so we can buy a boat to live on - more letters and personal admin. I will succeed.

But I would like it be known that I am NOT lazy. I just need the help that Conkers offers. 'Cause something had to give,and I can't do it all. And they are a pretty transparent company. If you truly need a middleman, and some do, why not - you shouldn't judge.

I do not have the time to write all those letters. I don't have the time to write this one, for God's sake. But you made me upset.

It really upset me to read your post. I can't imagine what you are going through at present but please rest assured that the people above only had your best interest at heart. I am sure that they were not judging you or anyone else who chooses to use a company to help them get their charges back. I personally used this site for the amount of support and encouragement that the people on here gave me whilst I was pursuing my claim. It was a great relief to know that there was always someone around to help when I got stuck. Also in the process I have made a few friends who I now cherish dearly.

The decision is entirely up to you whether you use a company to help you claim back your charges, but please do not take offence when I say that if you do choose to use this site to help you claim back the charges yourself, there are plenty of people willing and able to support you all the way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Well said that Lady, you sound about as fed up as I am at the moment. Like you say, it's everyone to their own. There are a lot of good people on this site just trying to give good honest opinions and help to others, up to their necks in it. The vast majority of punters in here don't have the number of claims or problems you have, at the moment. Most will be sorry if they have upset you, but doubt it was their intention. I hope you get good results with all your claims and wish you all the best for the future.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 1 month later...

I have about 14 claims to do and have been aware of the bank charges issue since April this year.

As I run a business I am up to my neck in other things and do not have the time to give this issue my proper undivided attention.

It would be very helpful if there were some comments on here reviewing the companies that manage claims so that I can make an informed judgement.

I'm still a supporter of CAG and still financially support the cause.

Damon30

Perhaps, but this site was set up with the sole intention of reclaiming our rights - i.e. making people aware of rights that we have so that banks/retailers/insurance companies etc... can no longer exploit our ignorance.

It seems to be working for the most part - I understand that some people do not have the time and are even a little scared of taking on a bank - I know I was!

The point of the CAG is so that people are no longer scared to take ANYONE on who wrongs them in 'consumerville' and so to review sites that take money from people who are essentially doing the same thing (exploiting ignorance) would go against the grain.

Sorry.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

For people who don't or can't take the time to go to court, if they are willing to wait a little longer to get their money, all it really takes is three letters:

1. send the the S.A.R. letter

2. Formal complaint to creditor (available on site) with schedule of charges and

3. Formal complaint to Financial Ombudsman Service.

Since this route is free, it may take as little as 30 minutes to sort out a claim.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it sounded good at the time so I used them!

Got back charges as apposed to PPI.

Now I do feel I can get back refunds from the Credit Card Co. from a credit card limit.

Any answers would be gratefully received!

Tony

What sort of refunds are you talking about regarding credit card companies.

Sorry, i am new here and i am just learning about becoming empowered as a consumer

Ruby

Probably he means penalty charges , just like the banks.......

mine was charging £20 + £25 for late payments and going overlimit

etc etc

I sucessfully got them all back, and not just the "adjusted amount" to take into consideration that £12 is fair.......fair NOT.

the lot back :)

rgds

dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Hello Lady of Avich.

This may sound a bit harsh, but as you say that your husband is terminaly ill you could ignor your husband's debt as debts die with the debtor. That should take some of the presure on you. Having said that, a claim can be made against a deceased person's estate but that excludes the jointly owned home

If this has been of any help for you please click my scales.

• 5 months later...

Just had a credit card refund offer from Brunel Franklin - closer inspection reveals they are part of Acxiom...a bunch of data farmers...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 months later...

You should not, under ANY circumstances, use Conkers AKA Brunel Franklin or whatever other trading names they go under.

I thought I was doing the right thing by engaging Conkers Brunel Franklin to deal with my bank and credit card reclaims but I soon learned the error of my ways!

Conkers Brunel Franklin ARE worse than the banks. They seem to think that this is a meal ticket for them and they are absolutely ruthless when getting their commission (25%).

I actually got phoned up by a debt collector they had appointed before they had even sent me their bill! This was in the early days when I didn't realise what they were like. The person on the phone said they represented Conkers and started asking me if I had any other telephone numbers, whether I owned my own home, how much my living expenses were ... and at this point I thought this was a bit much and ended the conversation.

Conkers Brunel Franklin were very apologetic about this at first. But it happened again about 10 days later. Do you own your home? Do you have dependent children? What are your outgoings? Imagine a company giving your account to a debt collector before you've received the bill!

There was further trouble down the line with Conkers Brunel Franklin which I would not have believed. I started getting hate phone calls from their Accounts Department. Really nasty, vitriolic stuff. You could hear the sheer venom in his voice as he tried to get the upper hand.

I eventually got rid of them - with great difficulty - and I encourage other people not to have anything to do with them. It's really easy to do the paperwork yourself and it will actually be quicker. Brunel Franklin Conkers gave me the impression I'd get the money back in a few weeks, but it's been over a year now and most accounts are still unsatisfied. When I asked them about this they said that as far as they were concerned everything was satisfactory. It was me who was at fault!

I'm left to do the rest of the work myself, but at least I know it'll be done properly and I won't be phoned up by some nutter with an severe attitude problem.

Do NOT approach Conkers Brunel Franklin. They'll really ruin your week/month/year.

Good message!

The damage was done but I had received refunds on charges which was good for a 2007 christmas!

But for non-payment they are threatening me with a CCJ for...£201!

I told them that at present I am currently not working and will be paying the balance soon!

It seemed to have worked...as they've backed off now!

Phew!!

• 2 weeks later...
You should not, under ANY circumstances, use Conkers AKA Brunel Franklin or whatever other trading names they go under.

I thought I was doing the right thing by engaging Conkers Brunel Franklin to deal with my bank and credit card reclaims but I soon learned the error of my ways!

Conkers Brunel Franklin ARE worse than the banks. They seem to think that this is a meal ticket for them and they are absolutely ruthless when getting their commission (25%).

I actually got phoned up by a debt collector they had appointed before they had even sent me their bill! This was in the early days when I didn't realise what they were like. The person on the phone said they represented Conkers and started asking me if I had any other telephone numbers, whether I owned my own home, how much my living expenses were ... and at this point I thought this was a bit much and ended the conversation.

Conkers Brunel Franklin were very apologetic about this at first. But it happened again about 10 days later. Do you own your home? Do you have dependent children? What are your outgoings? Imagine a company giving your account to a debt collector before you've received the bill!

There was further trouble down the line with Conkers Brunel Franklin which I would not have believed. I started getting hate phone calls from their Accounts Department. Really nasty, vitriolic stuff. You could hear the sheer venom in his voice as he tried to get the upper hand.

I eventually got rid of them - with great difficulty - and I encourage other people not to have anything to do with them. It's really easy to do the paperwork yourself and it will actually be quicker. Brunel Franklin Conkers gave me the impression I'd get the money back in a few weeks, but it's been over a year now and most accounts are still unsatisfied. When I asked them about this they said that as far as they were concerned everything was satisfactory. It was me who was at fault!

I'm left to do the rest of the work myself, but at least I know it'll be done properly and I won't be phoned up by some nutter with an severe attitude problem.

Do NOT approach Conkers Brunel Franklin. They'll really ruin your week/month/year.

i have been awarded mone back from cap one through these people, but have had no money yet, cap one are being very cagey, they say they have not heard about any money owing to me, i ahve not paid conkers bill as no money has come to me yet. i now have their solicitor looking in to it.

dawn