PaganAngel vs Natwest

paganangel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a 6k + 2.2k claim in with NatWest. They offered me 4.5k but were after the deadline I had set so I have already started my claim with MCOL.

The total I am claiming is now in the region of 8.5k including MCOL costs.

They have acknowledged the claim and at the last moment put in a defense.

I have received a long letter from Cobbetts (their solicitor) with their defense outlined in dense legalese. They have also requested further information which I had already sent to them.

I understand that because the amount is above 5k it will now be moved to my local court.

Does anyone know:

What the time scales are from this point?

What risk I am running by carrying on? Are they just bluffing? Will I end up with a huge bill for costs?

It all seems a bit scary now. Am I right to carry on?

Thanks

PA

I understand that because the amount is above 5k it will now be moved to my local court.

Does anyone know:

What the time scales are from this point?

What risk I am running by carrying on? Are they just bluffing? Will I end up with a huge bill for costs?

Hi PA, I'm not at the court stage yet so I'm not well up on this. However, I think you're absolutely right to continue - it's your money and you're entitled to get it back. End of story! Cobbetts seem to vary the timescales with each case - some are settled quickly whilst others drag on forever (have a look at Parkvale's thread - he's still waiting!!) If you have a good read through some of the other threads at court stage (e.g., Fendyweather, Josamolly, Thereshope spring to mind) you should get a bit more useful info. The good think to bear in mind though is that Nat West are frankly not prepared to go into the courtroom and give a full breakdown of their charges, so to some extent you could say they're bluffing!!! Sorry I can't really help - but somebody with the 'court' experience should be along soon. Best of luck xx :D

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thanks for your support - I have been informed that I can no longer claim online and the case is being transfered.

I have another question - I have been going through my statements again - putting all the information needed on my spreadsheet. In the process I have found charges that I missed fist time totalling over £200 + interest. Can I add these in at this stage or will it delay things?

PA

Hi Paganangel

If you wish to alter your claim at this stage you must submit an N244 form and pay a £35 (non refundable) fee.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/41901-form-n244-application-notice.html

As your claim is for 8k you will probably be allocated to Fast Track, but in your allocation questionnaire ask for small claims track. Read up here....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

It is normal for all claims that start on MCOL to be transferred to your local court.

Good Luck:)

Thanks Kate - I've just read through your thread and feel inspired! Well done you!

I have a letter from Cobbetts with an enormous list of dense legalese. I have found a post on this forum which tells me what to write so I'll sort that out. I have just spent 3 hours updating my spreadsheet. Total claim just short of £8.5k + expenses (£250 so far for MCOL)

As I went through the old bank statements I got more and more annoyed - The financial hell hole that I went through 3 years ago was almost entirely of NatWest's making. How dare they! I had one day where I went £1.47 over my OD limit and ended up with £180 charges - and I hadn't paid any of the direct debits!

Looking at your thread Kate it looks like I still have 2-3months to go :-(

PA

:) Glad to see 'that' old thread is still useful! Feels like ages ago now.

I got a bit bogged down in the middle and waited a while to file so I reckon you are a bit closer than you think.

After submission of defence by Natwest you should receive an AQ (depending on court's workload), in most of the larger claims, offers start after AQ filing stage. Yours is a big claim though, so maybe it could be a bit longer?:rolleyes: Make sure you familiarise yourself with CPR18 which will apply to you because your claim is over 5k.

I agree and understand the anger that you felt when looking through your statements, I recovered over 4k in total from NW, all taken from a time in my life whilst i was a single mum running her own business, i find it amazing that i came through, certainly no thanks to NW, thats for sure.

Okay - I received a defence and a request for further info from Cobbetts as mentioned above. I have put my claim details into a nicely presented spreadsheet and have answered the request for details by copying and pasting from this really useful thread. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/68375-abo-nat-west-3.html?highlight=cobbetts

my question is - what do I do about the defense that cobbetts sent? Do I need to respond to that as well?

The defense is basically the same as the one in the link above.

Thanks

PA

• 1 month later...

Got a cheque for the full amount! Just short of 9k! Cobbetts said that the bank held that the claim was false but to save further legal fees they would settle in full.

Thanks for all your help guys!

PA

Brilliant news paganangel............ CONGRATULATIONS.............. and enjoy the cash! Best wishes, hedgey xxx :p

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

CONGRATULATIONS PA

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Steven

Using CAG Toolbar will generate much needed income - Download Here

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

GE Money Won unconditionally May 2007

NatWest Won unconditionally August 2007

Brighthouse Won unconditionally August 2007

Goldfish Won unconditionally April 2008 (including CI on the basis of Sempra)

Clydesdale Financial Services (now BPF) Won unconditionally February 2008

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.