Is my Mum due some compensation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Mum lives in sheltered accommodation which is all electric supplied by Scottish Power. She is 78, confused and disabled.

Last year I noticed her electric bills were spiralling, her DD increased gradually to £125 per month! A lot of money out of a pension. I was telling Mum she had to be more careful with her heating but she was cold.

In Jan 07 I got Power of Attorney. Checking her bills, I realised she was being charged at the Standard Rate on her units and not White Meter. I phoned SP many times and eventually (having being promised calls back never received) I talked to someone who accepted what I said and told me that the meters had been changed in Feb 06 and not set at the correct rate. He promised to sort it but never did. I phoned again and was promised it would be sorted. I received bils adjusted from Oct 06-Feb 07...6 months short!.

So I gave up phoning and wrote. Had a letter of apology and repeated back to me everything I had told them, said DD reduced to £44 a month from £115. This still left Mum £109 in credit.

I wrote back and said I thought Mum should be due some form of compensation as the situation was all their fault and they had been taking money off Mum under false pretences. If I hadn't been looking out for her, it could have gone on forever.

Had a letter back offering £10 for phone calls which I think is an insult bearing in mind the hours I spent hanging on the phone trying to sort this out. Not to mention the money they have had the use of for a year.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

My sympathy is with you and your mum. I too am currently in a battle with ScottishPower. Their customer service is awful. I won't go into details about my case but I can tell you that I have asked for compensation under guaranteed standards. Not sure if this case falls under this, but if I were you I would contact Energy Watch and get their advice. ScottishPower is awful and as soon as my case is sorted, I will be changing supplier and I suggest you do so for your mum too. 125 pounds per month for a pensioner!!! Outrageous. Good god, how does she manage?

Hi anjipl...well, she wasn't really caring...the benefits of being confused I guess..lol

It was me who was jumping up and down. But she got upset because I was upset.

Where could I read up about the "guaranteed standards?"

Hi Tiggersmum, go onto energy watch website. Interesting stuff on there. And then change supplier. My friend from Energy Watch recommended Ebico. They are a christian, not for profit organisation. Not the cheapest around (yet cheaper than SP) but they don't penalise you for not using direct debits. A big plus in my book.