A&L Refuses refunds

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone offer some advice please?

A&L Girobank stalled sending me statements for close on two months pushing me from one person to another and each person promising that the statements would be sent. After many telephone calls I finally received the statements.

I sent the relevant claim form off to them with copies of the statements and received a reply within 5 days saying that they weren't prepared to refund anything at all as they make details of their charges known on all documentation, websites, branches, by telephone etc.

My questions are :

a) should I now just file a claim with the small claims court and see what happens or is it worth writing to them and telling them that's what I intend to do and see if that pushes them into refunding the charges?

b) is this common policy by A&L to refuse all refund requests initially?

and

c) has anyone else been in this position and what did you do next?

Thanks!!

You are more than welcome to this site arsenal, but please be aware that there are many sites offering advice, and each with their own templates. In my opinion, none offer as much free advice and guidance as this one, so I agree with ladybird that you should read around our forum, particularly the FAQs and step by step instructions on the processes that have been developed by the Consumer Action Group, and have worked thousands of times. You will need to start a court claim against A&L, but not yet. You will get your money soon after that though.

The FAQ's can be found using this link.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

HI

Im just about to send my statment charges off and expect to get the same letter but carry on with it as i think it is just a standard letter they send out. Does any one know about the £5.00 OVERDRAFT CHARGE CAN WE CLAIM IT BACK OR NOT any help welcome as i want to send it off today

Yes, claim it back - I'm surprised it's such a low sum! compared to some

Barclays Bank

13/9/06 - ACCEPTED HALF ON BOTH A/Cs

HSBC

21/10/06 - SETTLED IN FULL

Preferred Mortgages

11/8/06 - prelim let sent - redemption fee

12/07 - case dropped

Halifax B/S

2/07 settled in full

Halifax visa card

MCOL due

Citicards & Hillesden

2/07 Data Protection Act & CCA let sent

3/07 Prelim let sent

4/07 LBA sent

Barclaycard

04/07 offer received for 1/3 - refused

Argos Card services

Half offered - refused

PPI Claims:

8/12 MBNA Loan settled in full

7/12 Barclayloan settled in full

9/12 Liverpool Victoria settled in full

7/12 Barclaycard claim rejected

HI

I have been told by some one else that you can't claim back the monthly overdraft charge only the unautharised charge, can anyone confirm this for me as i don't want to look like i don't know what im doing or miss out on the money.

Thanks

If you only pay the overdraft charge in the month you have an overdraft, it is a penalty and can be claimed. If you pay it every month regardless, and agreed to it, that is a service charge which you can't claim. I hope that helps.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you look at the top and bottom of the main page, you will see"new thread". Click on that, add your title, and there you have your own thread.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Still dealing with A&L.

I have had the standard second letter in reply to the LAB (letter before action) stating that their charges are reasonable and competitive etc and they are turning me down so I'm going through the process of completing the form to take them to court (the N1 form).

One thing I am stuck on and I can't seem to find anything explaining it in the FAQ's is this 8% interest claim under 69 of the county courts act.

I would really appreciate some help / guidance.

What do I put as a total amount in the "Interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 £xxx.xx" box?

I understand that the interest is calculated from the date of issue (IS THIS THE DATE I SUBMIT THE CLAIM FORM TO THE COURT?) but what is the "to" date of judgement / settlement?

Could somebody give me a brief "idiots" guide as to how to calculate this figure? The total charges I am hoping to claim back is £1,212:00.

I apologise if I have overlooked this somewhere in the FAQ's

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Can someone help again please?

I have taken the claim form to the court and received notification from them that it has been deemed to served on the 24/May.

Today (01/06) I have received a letter from A&L solicitors, Wragge and Co, telling me they intend to defend the claim.

In the same post, I have received a separate envelope from A&L containing a cheque offering a partial settlement of about 20% of my total claim. The settlement figure also includes the court fee that I have paid.

My questions are :

1. Has anyone else received a letter stating the intention to defend the whole claim AND a partial refund in settlement in the same post? From reading other posts, people have been getting these letters but they are usually at quite different times of the process rather than on the same day.

2. If I refiuse the partial settlement, does anyone think that A&L will actually turn up and defend the case? have they ever defended a case?

3. If they do defend the case, will I be liable for anymore court costs or other charges?

As usual, thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

hi .

there are a few of us at your stage m8.we sent back the cheques and are w8ing to see what happens next.for me personaly i want the whole claim paid and will fight on for no less.but its up to you what you need and what you want to do.my letters and offer appeared same day 1st post then 2nd post.and got returned the same day.:D

Definitely best not to accept partial settlements. Send it back and carry on according to your timetable. A&L have never gone to court.

If I send the partial settlement back, what happens next?

will the solicitors get back in touch with me? if they do, what will the contact be about?

or will they submit a defence to the courts within 28 days? and then what happens?

Thanks!

Hi arsenal, i'm pretty new to all this to mate but there are some really usefull links etc on the main page, if you goto the one about letter templates it explains it all there mate and theres a template for each stage that you go through, you could even take the cheque as part settlement explaining that you will take them to court for the rest, i know its all pretty mind numbing mate but theres alot of helpfull guys and girls here to give you the advice mate so stick at it and good luck ;)

NatWest settled in full :D now is the time for A&L

[/url]

AlienVsPredator.jpg

NatWest Vs Chard

Arsenal, most of the threads follow a similar story to yours, some are at same stage some are further on, its a really good idea to read as many as you can, it gives you an idea of all the delaying tactics they will use, and all the tricks. On top of this if you feel a bit fed up read the A+L ****WON**** section at the top, its always good to cheer you up :)

Feels like a lost little girl x

Hi everyone,

Stiill struggling and I would appreciate some help.

I turned the A&L partial offer last weekend and today I received the defence paperwork from Wragge and Co today but to be honest, I am lost with the way it is written. It contains 27 points and 99% of it is written, as far as I can see, to be as confusing as possible.

In one part of it, (section 9) They state that there is "insufficient particulars of claim" and that I have failed to particularise adequatley or at all the claim against the defendant".

I have already sent off all the details as per the spreadsheet to the court and to the A&L so why are they saying this and am I expected to send them again to the solicitors?

Can anyone please tell me what I am meant to do with this defence note from Wragge and Co and advise me what happens next? thanks.....

Can you post your particulars of claim please.