Landlord witholding deposit - try this!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an ongoing battle with dodgy landlord who has not repaid over £2000 deposit. I got a CCJ against him and the bailiffs have been round several times but this guy knows how to play the system.If he doesn't answer the door there is nothing they can do. He has 8 CCJ's against him altogether.

Someone suggested that I try this. Tell him that I intend to write to the Inland Revenue to ask them to confirm that he has included my deposit as income in his tax return! I've just left the message on his mobile so will let you all know if it works or not!

nope - if he claims the deposit is for damages (As its meant to be) then he won't have to pay tax on it as its not income. There was a thread discussing the pros and cons of potential new legislation where bailiffs would be allowed to force entry to recover goods in instances like this, but I was mainly shot down in flames over my agreeing that it would be good in certain circumstance (like yours).

Problem is it's a great idea in theory, but impossible to enact responsibly in practice.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Guest louis wu

Blacksheep, I remember your post, and the reaction it caused. FWIW I agreed with the sentements that although generally unagreeable, in certain circumstances, as here, they do serve a purpose.

Shuttleworth I sympathise, and hope that somehow you get this thing sorted

yup this would have been a prime time to use it and would be great seeing the look on what seems to be a ****** whilst a couple of blokes kicked his door in and took what was owed.

The other option for shuttleworth would possibly be to try get an attachment of earnings order or get the debt attached to one of the properties so that upon sale of the property you get the money - might have to wait a while though.

Thanks for your comments guys.

blacksheep 1979 - an attachment of earnings order is not possible as his company is in his wife's name and also his house is in his wife's name. This b.....d has all angles covered.

I do feel quite demented with the situation and very badly left down by the legal system. I always thought the law was on the side of the decent, honest person but it would appear that it isn't.