• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

smiffie V's Natwest ***WON***

smiffie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is the first time for me. I am in need of help, today I received a defence from Natwest, this is what is on the defence, any help would be appreciated.

1. This Defence is filed and served without prejudiced to the defendants case that the particulars of claim do not disclose reasonable grounds for bringin a claim against the Claimant to recover the bank charges (and interest thereon) referred to in particulars of claim or any other sum(s). In the event that the claim is not properly particularised then the Defendant will apply to strike out the claim and/or for summary judgement in respect of the same.

2. On allocation the Defendant invites the court to direct that there be a case management conference in order for the court to consider the making of appropiate orders to give the Claimant the opportunity to properly particularise the claim.

3.Without prejudice to the non-admission set out in the foregoing paragraph, if and to the extent that the Claimant proves the allegation that the Defendant debited charges to the Claimant's bank account, insofar as such charges were debited on date or dates more than six years prior to the issue of this claim, any remedy in respect of the same, whether damages, restitution or otherwise, is barred by the operation of the Limitation Act 1980 and/or the doctrine of laches and the Defendant will apply to strike out this aspect of the claim and/or for the summary judgement.

4. No admissions are made as to what charges have been debited to the Claiments bank account.

5. In relation to the allegation that the contractual provisions pursuant to which the charges have been applied are unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA 1977") and/or the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999 ("The Regulations") and/or the common law, the Claimant is required to identify:

5.1 (a) The section(s) of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 ("UCTA 1977"); (b) the regulations of the unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations"); and © the principles of common law relied upon by the claimant in elleging that the contractual provision(s) referred to are unenforceable; and

5.2 The contractual provision(s) that the Claimant alleges are invalid by reference to UCTA 1977 and/or the Regulations. Until such times as these sections/regulations/provisions are identified the Defendant cannot plead to the allegation referred to in paragraph 5 above. The Defendant therefore reserves the right to plead further to the allegation once (and if) the Claimant identifies the relevent contructual information.

6. Save as hereinbefore appears the Defendant joins issue with the Claimant on the claim(s) and denies that it liable to the claimant as alleged or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true. I am duly authorised by the Defendant to sign this statement.

Solicitors Signiture

Please can anyone advice me what to do next. I sent spreadsheets of all charges and interest owed to my husband and I to Natwest and the court. What should I right back, what should I do now.

Thank you for any help.

Smiffie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya, I got exactly the same word for word today. No panic. You dont have to do anything. By rights you do nothing. Just wait for defence and AQ from court.

If you want to, you can send another copy of your charges to Cobblers (the twits), with a letter basically saying you dont have to reply to them, but out of courtesy you are enclosing a further copy of your charges breakdown spreadsheet, blah blah blah, but you dont have to do anything. You wait for the AQ and copy of cobblers defence from court. No worries. Its just scare tactics. Theyre trying to blind you with legal jargon. Dont be suckered in. Theres nothing to worry about.

All the best. Hold your nerve and wait for court to send defence and AQ. We can all hold your hand the whole way down the line. Dont worry.

Fendy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just the usual trollop speak from Cobblers.

Thank you fendy,

I have been trying to find all the legal jargon on the web, I am not sure what to send back with the AQ at the moment. I am very pleased (In a nice way) that I am not the only one to have got this. Once again thank you so much for your help. I will update. I have been claiming this since October 2006.:) xxXxx

Hiya, I got exactly the same word for word today. No panic. You dont have to do anything. By rights you do nothing. Just wait for defence and AQ from court.

If you want to, you can send another copy of your charges to Cobblers (the twits), with a letter basically saying you dont have to reply to them, but out of courtesy you are enclosing a further copy of your charges breakdown spreadsheet, blah blah blah, but you dont have to do anything. You wait for the AQ and copy of cobblers defence from court. No worries. Its just scare tactics. Theyre trying to blind you with legal jargon. Dont be suckered in. Theres nothing to worry about.

All the best. Hold your nerve and wait for court to send defence and AQ. We can all hold your hand the whole way down the line. Dont worry.

Fendy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just the usual trollop speak from Cobblers.

Smiffie

Well look, dont worry. They just try to knobble us with their legal speak. So long as you filed your spreadsheet when you filed your claim at court,, and so long as you compiled your particulars of claim in full, then you have nothing to worry about. Did you post your POC details from here or from somewhere else, and I assume you did send a copy of your charges spreadsheet to the court as well as to Cobblers once you had filed your claim, Yes ????? Im sure you did, but Im just double checking. I would hate to have a fellow claimant fall at a fence at this late stage........... Fendy xxxx

DETAILS OF WHAT TO PUT ON AQ: LINK HEREWITH.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=78

Hi Fendy,

Yes I sent POC to my local court and my local Natwest branch as I did not have the natwest solicitors address at that time, so you recommend that everything gets sent to Cobbetts from now on? I sent spreadsheets with all charges and Interest on the day I sent the NI form. I am now photocopying all my bank statements to send with the AQ as the solicitor has asked for proof. Thank you for your very quick reply. Its noce to see ppl supporting each other. How do I defend Natwest's statement of negletance? I would love to be experienced enough to help others, I have done the 1st stage on my own from help from Money Saving Expert and CAG. Thank you for all your help.;)

Smiffie

If I were you, I would send a copy of your list of charges, showing each and every charge you have been charged over the years, send directly to the solicitor dealing with your case at Cobbetts, with covering letter basically saying, attach to your file as its full breakdown/list of all charges imposed by Natwest etc. Send by recorded delivery to whichever solicitor is defending against your claim. Youve already sent one to court, so no need to send another until sending your AQ. The defence youve received so far, has it actually come via the court, or has it come straight from Cobbetts. ???

As for the "Statement of Neglectance", dont know what this is. I would suggest you PM a mod on here, and get their help on that one, or wait for Nattie to come back on tonight. Hes a Natwest staff member whose a whizz at these kinds of things. Although to be honest, Michael Browne, is a super uper legal brain and can probs help. You could also PM him.. Sorry I cant help with that bit. Dont know what that is ???? Send all info back through court from hereonin, but do send an additional copy of your charges list direct to Cobbets as well if you havent already done so. Fendy xxx

Thanks Fendy,

The Defence has come staight from Cobbetts not the court. I will send a copy of spreadsheets of on Tuesday to the solicitors. I am a bit nieve here but how do I actually PM, do I go into my details and do it from there? How do I get the mods PM? Sorry but I have never done this before. Once again Thanks for all your advice.;)

Smiffie

Fendys spot on as usual. Normal cobblers from cobblers.Statement of negligence ?

Can you post this on the site, but delete your name, address, account number etc.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-our-forum/14608-asking-questions-pm.html.

.http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526These might help you. Good luck.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

There you go smiffie. Parkvale to the rescue. Just click on the links hes posted and it will take you exactly where you need to go to find the answers you need. Always somebody kind on here to help. Go get em tiger........ Lol. Fendy xx

Thank you Parkvale and Fendy. I today went up to my local court, good job I did as they have told me that they have not received any defence papers back from Natwest they had up until 4th April to supply to the courts, so I signed the form for Judgement. I am now waiting to hear from the court. I think that Natwest will appeal (more delaying tactics), if they do I am going to find out if I can appeal against thier appeal as I believe Natwest has had long enough now to reply and send in thier defence. Thank you both for all the help, I am sure I will need more soon. I will keep you updated as and when.:rolleyes:

Smiffie

Quite amazing. Cobblers seem to be slipping. They are 8 days late. The DJ might give them an extra week. The judiciary tend to avoid default judgements if possible.

Especially the bank charge cases. So not long to wait now. :)

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Lol, um, this has prompted me to check with my own court if theyve received defence yet from Cobbetts. As its absolutely no good Cobbetts sending defence to me, if they havent sent it to court too. Um, me thinks they are deffo slacking. To say I received defence direct from Cobblers on Sat 7th, and its now 12th and still no defece submitted through the courts, um, me thinks deffo worth checking, but Im gonna leave it till next week as if I rush to judgement, I might end with a set aside, and I absolutely do not want that. All the best Smiffie, go with your instincts. Fendy xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Parkvale,

I understand some of what you are saying but would you be kind enough just to let me know what you are meaning when you say "The judiciary tend to avoid default judgements if possible"?

Sorry I just feel a bit dim at the mo as I have been doing this since October and over the last week I have been sorting it out every day. Are you saying that the Judge will be for Natwest or against? Every little helps. Thank you Parkvale We were informed by the gentleman that adviced us to apply for Judgement by default that Natwest can send in the defence while our paperwork is going through the system. We also asked if we can add on charges that the bank has charged us up to date as we put "ongoing" when we sent in the claime form in, the gentleman said that we should claim what we did on the claim form which is £7,052.00 with Interest but we could ask in writing for this, which we did do. We will have to wait and see what happens.;)

Smiffie

Im with you on this one Smiffie..................... basically their lack of working to timetables indicates to me another ABUSE OF PROCESS, (I wish), but it seems the courts are always trying a little bit too hard in my opinion to serve all sides fairly. And sometimes this means giving the banks more time, as Im sure they would if it had been you late with your submissions......... just the way it is Im afraid at the mo, due to the huge number of claims in progress........... Im giving it till next Monday Tuesday, i.e. 16th/17th, that way, I will have given them a whole other week to get defence in to court,. We shall just have to see what happens, but my postie has nothing from them, every day (court that is), Unless of course the easter bunny has broken into HM Post Office and eaten all the mail over the bank holiday. Lol Lol. Keep your spirits up........ its the only way to win.......... Fendy xx

Hi Fendy,

We was not asked if we had received any documents so we didn't mention this. If we are asked by the judge then I will be honest. You only have so many days to claim for judgement so it would be worth asking the court when Natwest should have sent in thier defence by. We got a Duplicate Default by Judgement sent by the court so this made me think and that is the reason we went to the court no point having to run up and down to court so we decided to do 2 jobs in 1 visit. I am disabled, I can not walk very far and standing really hurts my back, so going back and forth to court leaves me in severe pain. I am not expecting any good at the mo as we are dealing with Natwest!!!!! Just check with the court Fendy to check the date that Natwest should have sent in the defence I would hate for you to have your claim thrown out. Good Luck.;)

Smiffie

smiffie,

The courts would rather trial a case than default it. I suppose their there to see justice done. I had a default judgement against GEmoney. Have a read it will make you chuckle:) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/62561-parkvale-g-e-money.html

Hi Parkvale,

I have read your judgement against G.E. Isn't it nice when the tables are turned? I don't think I would like to sign the letter tto have the judgement removed lol. All the people they have had judgements on, would they remove the judgement for them? NO!!!. Well done. I am not building any hopes as there is still a long way to go, there would be with Natwest!! we have been customer's with Natwest for 30 years, its a shame we can't claim back charges for all the time we have been customer's (not that we have charges for that length of time, imagine what they would have to pay back). Thank you for letting me have a look at the site of your's, it does help. I am not going to give up as the money is rightfully ours. Will keep you updated.

smiffie xxXxx ;)

Smiffie

Good on you.Good luck.

Hi All,

You would never guess what has happened this morning? I received a letter NOT FROM NATWEST'S SOLICITOR BUT FROM NATWEST saying that they are sorry to hear of my complaint blaaaaaaaaaah blaaaaaaaaah blaaaaaaaah they have said that they will offer me "As a gesture of goodwill £5000.00" I had the same letter back in January but for a smaller amount. What is going on!!!!! Natwest need to communicate with their solicitor's. I have applied for Judgement, not heard anything on that yet. Just thought I would make you all laugh on a monday. Good Luck everyone.

Luv

Smiffie xxXxx:rolleyes:

Smiffie

Exactly the same just happened to me Smiffie. Offer of refund of full charges the whole lot, but 8 weeks too late. Needless to say I wont be accepting. I want the 8% too now plus court costs of £400 squid. And if it goes as far as getting my court bundle ready I will be billing them for all hours, costs involved in that too. Lol. Mine came saturday. I think they are running about 8 weeks behind our timetables set on here. Lol. Good for a laugh though. Fendy xxx

Not sure what date is on the letter as I am away at the mo and my daughter rang me about the letter. I wil have a look when I get home on Saturday and confirm the date. I wont be accepting the offer either. I send everything Special Delivery as a member of my family works for Royal Mail and they have told me no one has to sign for recorded delivery anymore. I wonder if I am able to charge Natwest for the letter's, Postage, ink, paper etc? I will keep this updated as my daughter will inform me of any letters.:razz:

Smiffie

If your claim goes into fast track you will be able to claim for certain things and i think upto £9 per hour for preparing your case. Not totally sure about amounts.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

Hi All,

Back now; do you think I should send the refusal letter to Cobbetts or to Stuart Higley? I received today the AQ form from the court so Judgement was not granted. I am going to fill this in today and will look on this site for what would be best to put onto it, I have looked at the help with filling the form out, which has been very helpful. I will need to do a lot of photo copying now; do you think I can charge Natwest for all my time, paper, ink etc? Will keep you all updated.

Smiffie xxXxx :rolleyes:

Smiffie