London Scottish-still paying after 14 years//**SETTLED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm helping my Great Aunt & Uncle sort out things they are quite oblivious to. They are both in their 70's and had a loan in 1993 for £2000 repayable at £20.00 per week. They continue to have a doorstep collection weekly with an agent from London Scottish subsidiary co.

Looking at their card they have been paying £10.00 per week for the last 6 years with a balance of £1,426 still left to pay!!!!

I have sent off a CCA to this company on their behalf. I have also said not to make further payments until this is sorted.

The collector came yesterday (Good Friday) and said his boss will get a letter out to them explaining everything.

Nothing to explain is there?? They've been ripped off BIG TIME.

They should respond to the CCA by 11th April.

Can I get any of this money back for them? They have surely paid over the odds.

They are so vulnerable and have been quite happily paying this money over 15 years. Something wrong somewhere.

Any advice on where to go from here?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest going to Citizen's Advice as they are both elderly, they weren't much help to me (single white working female - no kids) but could help here.

London and Scottish deserve all the hassle people can give them, their loan rates aren't the best going and their collection tactics are rather dubious, I had a 'debt counsel' visit which charged me £250 and lied on the form which he sent back to his clients stating I spent £400 a monthon a car and clothes! If you saw my wardrobe you would know it is not true, and I don't drive at all, I have arthritis in my right foot and dodgy eyesight so he was clearly making my situation seem worse.

This is so wrong,sadly i am not suprized i have heard about this bunch of bullys before i would definatly not let it go make sure you get to the bottom of it they are taking advantage of a elderly couple i think and they need to be dealt with

Good luck!!! keep us posted :D

Thanks so much for the response/support, I just could not believe it myself when I just happened to visit at the time of the collector 2 weeks ago. I then asked what they were paying for and took it from there.

I gave them a letter to give the collector stating the account was in dispute until they responded to the CCA so when he called yesterday his reaction was to call the office who relayed the message that he would be sending out a letter to "explain everything"

It will be interesting to see the response you get to the CCA... was it sent by rec. delivery ?

You can then send a SAR (£10) to claim any unlawful charges on the account. They have 40 days to comply with this request.... or you can threaten them with court action for full disclosure.

In the meantime, keep hold of all correspondence that they send you.

:)

Hi Priorityone.

Sent CCA and they have till April 11 to respond to this.Will of course post with any progress.

I'm really angry with this company and just happened to be visiting when this collector called,both my G-aunt and Uncle are quite vulnerable.

If you get a mo to spare,I have posted in PPI forum as to how Black horse have taken advantage also. (Blackhorse PPI mis-sold to pensioner) I should add,I believe the loans from Blackhorse were also mis-sold.

P.S.

They just have a payment card and £10 marked off each week, no charges that show up so it was probably some extortionate amount of interest added on to the loan in the beginning.

Hi Priorityone.

Sent CCA and they have till April 11 to respond to this.Will of course post with any progress.

I'm really angry with this company and just happened to be visiting when this collector called,both my G-aunt and Uncle are quite vulnerable.

If you get a mo to spare,I have posted in PPI forum as to how Black horse have taken advantage also. (Blackhorse PPI mis-sold to pensioner) I should add,I believe the loans from Blackhorse were also mis-sold.

I can understand why you are angry about this !! :mad: .... but you are doing the right things, so try not to worry. You Great Aunt & Uncle are in good hands now that you are handling things for them :) .

I am not very knowledgeable on PPI... you will probably get better advice from some of the regulars over there. Gut reaction tells me that pensioners would have no need for PPI though.

• Haha 1

Hi,

I'm helping my Great Aunt & Uncle sort out things they are quite oblivious to. They are both in their 70's and had a loan in 1993 for £2000 repayable at £20.00 per week. They continue to have a doorstep collection weekly with an agent from London Scottish subsidiary co.

Looking at their card they have been paying £10.00 per week for the last 6 years with a balance of £1,426 still left to pay!!!!

I have sent off a CCA to this company on their behalf. I have also said not to make further payments until this is sorted.

The collector came yesterday (Good Friday) and said his boss will get a letter out to them explaining everything.

Nothing to explain is there?? They've been ripped off BIG TIME.

They should respond to the CCA by 11th April.

Can I get any of this money back for them? They have surely paid over the odds.

They are so vulnerable and have been quite happily paying this money over 15 years. Something wrong somewhere.

Any advice on where to go from here?

312 x £10 = £3120 (6 years x £10/week). And this is from 1993 ???!!!

That's 14 years! :eek: On a £2K loan......

Something is indeed seriously wrong here!

Where does the £20/week come in to it???

You need a full statement!

Keep us posted!

Hi Diskman

Most definately something wrong! The loan was for just £2000, and original repayments were for £20 p.w. They tell me they had been paying this for 2 years without ever missing a payment (unlike myself!) they lowered their repayments to £10 in 2001 and they have remained at this figure ever since. Again,from what I can see from their repayment cards they have only missed the odd payment here and there,maybe 1 or 2 a year when they've been on holiday.

The collector comes from a company called Everything Financial.

As said in an earlier post, I told them not to make any further payments and I gave them a letter to give the collector (Good Friday) advising the account was in dispute pending request under CCA.

I'm itching to see if one can be produced.

Small update.

Statement of account arrived today showing weekly payments of £10 since 1998,a total of £4,680.

The loan began in 1993 so they've failed to send 5 yrs statements.

Also failed to send credit agreement.

Details on the statement shows:

Loan date 14 March 1993

Loan amount £2,463

Loan? £874 (possibly insurance?)

Loan interest £3,864 (Disgusting)

The 12 days for complying to CCA request is up tomorrow, should I send reminder that they are now in default or let the next 30 days go by?

Would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.Thank you.

OMG how terrible is that??????????????Just something to make a note on: It is outside of the OFT'S guidlines for any DCA to call on a Sun Xmas Day Bank hol and especially Good Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

xxx zara xxx

Hi meg&mog,

Thanks again for the encouragement. With some help & guidance from the site, I certainly intend to see how far I can go with this. My G-Aunt is worried about "getting into trouble" if she doesn't make any payments.

I can only imagine how many other vulnerable people there are out there with no-one to help them. Especially if they're "not so young" and being preyed upon.

Will update with any progress.

Small update.

Statement of account arrived today showing weekly payments of £10 since 1998,a total of £4,680.

The loan began in 1993 so they've failed to send 5 yrs statements.

Also failed to send credit agreement.

Details on the statement shows:

Loan date 14 March 1993

Loan amount £2,463

Loan? £874 (possibly insurance?)

Loan interest £3,864 (Disgusting)

The 12 days for complying to CCA request is up tomorrow, should I send reminder that they are now in default or let the next 30 days go by?

Would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.Thank you.

No need to send a reminder... it's not up to you to remind them of their legal obligations.

No need to send a reminder... it's not up to you to remind them of their legal obligations.

They are well aware of their LEGAL obligations. Have they been decent with your family. NO

Should you be decent with them NO

They pay solicitors huge amounts to take ordinary folk to court. Let them earn their money

Thanks for the comments/observations, I just thought a reminder in order to prevent a collector at the door again until I can make some headway with this.

The folks are both in their 70's and I'm not promising I can be at their home at the same time when they get a collector.

I just don't want them paying any more money out to these people.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

No sign of any credit agreement yet or any further visits from doorstep collector. The (12+2) + 30 calendar days will be up on May 11th.

What is the next step if any?

Any guidance on how I can proceed to recover some of this money for my folks?