• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sparks v EGG **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Fantastic site - have been lurking for nearly a year ...am finally taking action against 5 banks.

• May 2006 sent SAR
  • 26/3/07 submitted request for repayment of charges
  • 2/4/07 Recived offer of £4.00 back for each £20 charge + waffle about OFT report and my having provided no evidence that £20 was not a genuine 'pre-estimate' of the loss I caused to Egg for each breach of contract!
  • 6/4/07 rejected Eggs offer - asked them to detail the breakdown of what my 'breaches of contract' had actually cost them. Will send them LBA on 12/4/07

-----------------------------

· Halifax credit card - 26/3/07 Claimed £50.00 (£54.51 with interest) – more charges to add

· Nat West credit card - 26/3/07 Claimed £112.00 (£163.33 with interest)

· Nat West current account - 26/3/07 Claimed £94.00 (£142.15 with interest)

· Smile account 1 - 26/3/07 Claimed £494.50 (£599.67 with interest)

· Smile account 2 - 26/3/07 £79.50 Claimed (£98.53 with interest)

· Egg - 26/3/07 Claimed £40.00 (£57.63 with interest).

· Nationwide - 26/3/07 Claimed £145.00 (£215.02 with interest)

· Woolwich - 24/3/07 still haven’t complied with SAR after 11 months – LBA sent

Good luck.

Your timescales are identical to mine - and I received a FULL REFUND today, so hopefully the same shift team are dealing with your claim and you'll get something in the post tomorrow.

ABBEY : Seeking £1500 : Default Judgement Received - now set aside- AQ dispensed, awaiting court date

Barclaycard : WON : Seeking £380, offered £152. : Full settlement £510 + costs

EGG Card : WON : £168 FULL SETTLEMENT within 3 Weeks

HSBC : WON : Sought £1500+ : Full Settlement £2375.89 received 4 months start to end

Thanks elisedriver and zootscoot,

Yup home from holiday today and FULL offer from EGG (small claim as almost all EGG charges were over 6 years ago).

However there are confidentiality conditions attached to accepting the offer. On principle I am inclined to reply that I only accept their offer if these conditions are removed - or should I just take the money now? Anyone have any thoughts on confidentiality clauses???

thanks

· Halifax credit card - 26/3/07 Claimed £50.00 (£54.51 with interest) – more charges to add

Just cross off the confidentiality thing, or write on there that it is accepted unconditionally!

Sparks, have they closed ur account?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Congrats! I'm also in the process of getting my money back from Egg but taking a little longer than you guys. Egg offered me the £4 thing back in February which I declined and we have been going through the usual steps since then. Recently got a court date for the end of May so hopefully they will settle soon.

Hiya Sparky, did Egg close ur account??

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

I closed the account in 2004!

Fantastic site - have been lurking for nearly a year ...am finally taking action against 5 banks.

• May 2006 sent SAR
  • 26/3/07 submitted request for repayment of charges
  • 2/4/07 Recived offer of £4.00 back for each £20 charge + waffle about OFT report and my having provided no evidence that £20 was not a genuine 'pre-estimate' of the loss I caused to Egg for each breach of contract!
  • 6/4/07 rejected Eggs offer - asked them to detail the breakdown of what my 'breaches of contract' had actually cost them. Will send them LBA on 12/4/07

[/quote=represent1]Received same offer by Egg, detailing they would return £76 being the difference of £4. Stating that offer would be rejected in 14 days. Should I notify them that I wish to reject their meagre offer (if yes, does anyone have a reject letter) or just go straight to Court, following through with my LBA. Must admit to feeling a bit bewildered as letter was extremely threatening!

[/quote=represent1]Received same offer by Egg, detailing they would return £76 being the difference of £4. Stating that offer would be rejected in 14 days. Should I notify them that I wish to reject their meagre offer (if yes, does anyone have a reject letter) or just go straight to Court, following through with my LBA. Must admit to feeling a bit bewildered as letter was extremely threatening!

Yes, the language of their letter to me was pretty threatening but actually meaningless!

FYI I have pasted the reply I sent them rejecting their initial offer of £4 per charge - within a week of sending it they had written back with a revised offer denying any liability but offerring to refund the charges in full!!

Its up to you but if you are hesitating over sending an LBA I would suggest you send them an interim letter rejecting the offer - who knows, they may settle your claim as readily as they did mine.

Dear Ema Clayton,

EGG CREDIT CARD NUMBER xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Response to settlement offer.

Thank you for your letter dated 4/4/2007, EGG Reference xxxxxxxxxxxx.

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me the charges imposed on this account that I specified, totaling £xx (excluding statutory interest).

If, as your letter appears to imply, £16.00 reflects a genuine pre-estimate of the loss caused to EGG for each incidence of exceeding my credit limit or for an unpaid direct debit, then I request that you provide me with a breakdown of how this amount has been calculated. In the absence of such a breakdown I will continue to believe these charges do not reflect your true costs and are therefore unlawful.

I will therefore accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remaining £xx, with a County Court claim if necessary. Should such a claim be necessary I will also be seeking interest at the statutory rate, which I calculate as currently totaling £xx, court costs and any other costs I incur in recovering this money from you. I sincerely hope that such action will not be necessary and am genuine in my desire to reach an amicable settlement with you without recourse to the courts.

My Request for Repayment letter dated 26/3/2007 indicates that you have until 12/4/07 to respond before I proceed to the next stage of my request. My deadline remains the same despite your offer.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer under the terms stated in your letter.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours sincerely,

I closed the account in 2004!

Ok mate.

Mine is still open, but if they try to close the account then the agreement is unenforcable anyway, hehe.....so, they can't take any action on it without a court order!! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

However there are confidentiality conditions attached to accepting the offer.

thanks

Just got a letter saying they will remove confidentiality clause...and where should they send my cheque!!!!

Just got a letter saying they will remove confidentiality clause...and where should they send my cheque!!!!

Excellent mate!!!! Well done! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals: