How much does housing benefit tend to pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know this is a very difficult question as there are all sorts of different things they take into consideration. I've been looking into it on internet as well and it mentions a pre tenancy determination form which after reading about it seems daft as you need to have a tenancy arranged before filling it in which is surely backwards as theres little point in arranging a tenancy if housing benefit wont cover it.

Anyway back on track, as people on here know our current flat is a nightmare (and not just because our ceiling fell down but also because of the prat (polite word) upstairs), it's also way too small for a couple bringing up a child. Been considering private renting and my Mum's offered to help with the deposit but obviously we need to know how much housing benefit is likely to cover.

Our circumstances are at present neither of us work. I've been off work on a long term basis with depression. I don't receive any incapacity benefit as the jobcentre seem to think that their "doctors" (and I use the term loosely) are better qualified to judge my mental health in the space of a ten minute interview than my own GP who sees me at least once a month (but thats another matter). My partner receives Income based JSA at the rate of £90.10 a week and we also receive child tax credit (approx £50 a week) and child benefit (£18.10 a week). My partner is presently seeking work with me planning to look after our baby once she returns to work to get around the incapacity benefit problem.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom house. Rents seem to be around £400+ but we're not sure how high housing benefit is likely to go to. They currently pay our rent of £50.xx a week in full but that only equates to a little over £200 a month so really not sure they will pay almost double were we to move.

Can anyone give me even a rough idea (either if you receive housing benefit or if your a landlord and your tenants get housing benefit) of what they are likely to pay. Least then we can start looking at realistic places and not find somewhere we like only to find that housing benefit wont pay the rent

Thanks in advance and thanks also to anyone who made it this far in what's turned out to be a very long winded post

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

I know this is a very difficult question as there are all sorts of different things they take into consideration. I've been looking into it on internet as well and it mentions a pre tenancy determination form which after reading about it seems daft as you need to have a tenancy arranged before filling it in which is surely backwards as theres little point in arranging a tenancy if housing benefit wont cover it.

Anyway back on track, as people on here know our current flat is a nightmare (and not just because our ceiling fell down but also because of the prat (polite word) upstairs), it's also way too small for a couple bringing up a child. Been considering private renting and my Mum's offered to help with the deposit but obviously we need to know how much housing benefit is likely to cover.

Our circumstances are at present neither of us work. I've been off work on a long term basis with depression. I don't receive any incapacity benefit as the jobcentre seem to think that their "doctors" (and I use the term loosely) are better qualified to judge my mental health in the space of a ten minute interview than my own GP who sees me at least once a month (but thats another matter). My partner receives Income based JSA at the rate of £90.10 a week and we also receive child tax credit (approx £50 a week) and child benefit (£18.10 a week). My partner is presently seeking work with me planning to look after our baby once she returns to work to get around the incapacity benefit problem.

We're looking for a 2 bedroom house. Rents seem to be around £400+ but we're not sure how high housing benefit is likely to go to. They currently pay our rent of £50.xx a week in full but that only equates to a little over £200 a month so really not sure they will pay almost double were we to move.

Can anyone give me even a rough idea (either if you receive housing benefit or if your a landlord and your tenants get housing benefit) of what they are likely to pay. Least then we can start looking at realistic places and not find somewhere we like only to find that housing benefit wont pay the rent

Thanks in advance and thanks also to anyone who made it this far in what's turned out to be a very long winded post

Hi I am in a disabled persons 2 bedroom bungalow and get full £83 a week housing benefit plus full council tax rebate hope this helps dpick:eek:

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

Thanks for reply. That works out close to the price area we were looking at so least thats an idea

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

Thanks joa, been there but it just seems to take the whole rent into account no matter how high a figure you put and doesn't account for if the rent officer decides the rent is too high

I would say that around £400 per month is a reasonable rent for a family whatever area you live in.

The pre determiantion tenancy rent is just that ,ahousing oficer will visit the premises you wish to rent and assess if the rent you are going to be paying is fair, and if it wil lbe covered by HB. They usually do this in 48 hours after you contact them.

Also you may be eligible for a Community Care Grant ot cover the deposit.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi

I privately rent and when I was working with a salary of £22k per annum I was eligable for approx. £85 per week HB but had to pay full Council Tax.

Since my redunadnacy I get full housing bebefit of £625 per month and also full Council Tax benefit of £89 per month.

den3371:p

Dave; as with prescribed medicines, there never should be any comparisons with others when it comes to HB. There is never "an average" situation; there are so many personalised computations that question like yours can never be answered without proper interview.

Entitledto takes into consideration the rent as you enter it. Once you have the decision of the rent officer, this is the amount you enter. The rent officers tend to be a very peculiar creatures; seem to live couple of decades behind the rest of us. OK, I am being unfair, they only follow the rules. The outcome however is such that very often if you really wanted to rent within the "eligible rent" you'd need to live in a hovel. So, many private tenants end up with "eligible rent" being somewhat lower then the "real rent".

There is an option of applying for a Discretionary Housing Payments, which are discretionary payments paid together with the HB. There is no entitlement to it, but the Local Authority may decide to make these payments if you are suffering from particular financial hardship and you are not in a position to move into cheaper accommodation.

I would say apply for DHP as soon as you have the "eligible rent". There is a space on the application form for your personal statement. You need to try to convince the decision maker that you would suffer significant financial hardship without these payments. Google for Discretionary Housing Payments and angle your statements to best suit the criteria of DHP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

your local council will have a list of rents per no of bedrooms etc and they will use this as a guideline for your area only.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.

Hi Davethorp,

As Pugsley mentions,

The local reference rent is fixed at the midpoint of rents in the locality for accommodation of the same type and size, or, if the tenancy is deemed to be too large, for accommodation which meets the size criteria, based on market rents paid by tenants who are not receiving housing benefit.

Basically, they have a set rate for curtain types of homes, if they feel the rent being asked for by the landlord is to high for that type of property, they will only pay the percentage that they feel is correct. For example, 80% and you would have to find the rest. They do not include certain charges that you may have to pay either for example, some service charges. Also the property chosen has to be appropriate for the person/people, for example, a three bedroomed house for a single person would not be seen as meeting the size criteria.

As mentioned by Joa, there are discretionary housing payments that are paid sometimes to help with a shortfall but this is discretionary and cannot always be relied on. Housing benefit levels are set locally and differ depending on local area and authority. A pre-tenancy determination is a good way of seeing if the local authority will meet the rent costs or not. You could also contact your local authority to get a rough figure for the type of housing you are after or pop into the citiziens advice bureau as they should have a rough idea of local housing benefit levels.

Hope this helps.

hi dave,

the last time i heard of my local council paying full rent, it was for approx £95 per week.

i'll check our council website and let you know more if i find anything out.

good luck.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Dave; as with prescribed medicines, there never should be any comparisons with others when it comes to HB. There is never "an average" situation; there are so many personalised computations that question like yours can never be answered without proper interview.

Please, I cannot stress enough how unwise it is to compare your HB payments to anyone. Can you all stop giving Dave "examples"? Because they will only lead to misinformaton!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't worry about misinformation. Up until today I'd pretty much forgotten about this thread :D

• 8 months later...
Hi

I privately rent and when I was working with a salary of £22k per annum I was eligable for approx. £85 per week HB but had to pay full Council Tax.

Since my redunadnacy I get full housing bebefit of £625 per month and also full Council Tax benefit of £89 per month.

How is this the case? My partner had an income of £13,500, we have 2 children, so get child tax credits, child benefit and i am also in receipt of disability allowance, yet combined totals nowhere near this amount you had as an income and we are NOT eligible for ANY help with housing benefit. We rent and our rent is £375, although, if the social wanted to pay us £625 we would ertainly be living in a beautiful house.

Sorry to be a bit 'catty', but I cant believe you was entitled to help on 22k and we aren't? This is so unfair.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people are always asking about HB and CB online

thats just it ONLINE do what i did and email your local council asking them roughly how much you would be intitled too but add in your email you will only use the info as a guide and not as a true record of what you may get

my council where very helpfull and told me what i would get

just give them as much info as you can.

AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY CAN ONLY SAY NO!!

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full