• Tweets

• have a good read in the debt selfhelp forum. its easy to do a self managed one..only on the debts you find ARE enforceable mind..
    • If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Shops not accepting cheques

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't like using chip & pin due to the fact the info can end up in the hands of anyone (as in the TK MAXX case), but am loathe to carry large amounts of money about, however lots of shops now refuse to accept cheques. Are they allowed to do that? Banks still issue us with cheque books, they are a ligitimate method of payment, I don't want to spend more that the cheque card guarantee limit so is yet again the case of consumers having to do what the big businesses decide. Asda is the lastest to stop taking cheques, which is fine until you forget your PIN number (on a Sunday when the bank is shut) which means you can't get money out the cashline either. So they lose a sale of £75 and the nice people at Tesco gain a sale of £75. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Bank of Scotland account 1 - £2,666 WON

Bank of Scotland account 2 - £2,500 on hold

GE Capital charges -£30 won (hey, every little helps!)

Barclays Partner Finance £425 charges - £225 offer accepted.

Finally debt free after 4.5 years, thanks to my Debt Management Plan through Payplan. There is no better feeling :D

Shops don't have to take cheques if they don't want to.

I don't know the exact reasoning behind the decision but I'd imagine it's to do with the costs of handling and processing cheques and issues with cheques bouncing that are avoided when using plastic.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

As long as cheques are not legal tender there is no requirement to accept them. The only legal tender in this country is CASH - so that is ALL that shops are by Law required to accept.

In the States, there are shops refusing cash OR cheques for certain sales on security grounds - they want the traceability of a credit card transaction. I think any refusal to accept cheques in this country is down to the costs of processing a bounced one. My Wife's business doesn't accept cheques from eBay buyers simply because the bank tells her the cheque has cleared; she sends the item, and three weeks later the cheque arrives back in the post. It's a crippler - so far she's been able to contact all the buyers who this happened with but it was only a matter of time. She now only accepts PayPal on eBay sales but is starting to ramp down eBay as a selling method because of the scariness of their tactics.

Not quite sure how you meant that to come across, but there's no requirement for anyone (shop or otherwise) to accept cash if they only want to accept payment in some other form.

They are at liberty to accept payment in any form that they wish (the term would form an express term of the contract with the customer) but they can insist on cash if they want, however a creditor waives his right to be paid in cash if he agrees to accept cheques or payment cards.

So back to suzieblooz's original point - if Asda or Tesco or whoever decide to only accept payment by debit or credit card at some point they're within their rights to do so. In fact the Tesco filling station near me will only accept payment by card between midnight and 6 a.m.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

I was always told (and I'm still looking for the Law now) that anything deemed in Law as "Legal Tender" could NOT be turned down in payment for goods or services. This would obviously include cash however I am still searching for a reference... I'm not sure of your credentials Advoc8 - are you legally qualified or experienced? If you are and you say it's so I may as well stop searching! LOL

Here we go!

Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legal tender or forced tender is payment that, by law, cannot be refused in settlement of a debt denominated in the same currency.

See also the section lower down on "Legal Tender in the United Kingdom".

Still no Statute reference but I'm getting closer!

are you legally qualified or experienced
Yes, to both parts of the question.

You probably won't find a statute definition of legal tender. I'd also be very wary of website definitions that do not cite any authority, especially wikipedia :D

If you have access to it I'd recommend a read of Halsbury's Laws of England, Volume 9(1)(Reissue) paragraph 975 (the main relevant points of which I've summarised in my post above). For copyright reasons I'm not going to cut and paste the content. Halsbury's doesn't go into great depth but it's a good starting point and is a good secondary source.

I have seen something similar to the quote you've put in your post number 8 but in the context of requirement to accept legal tender once a debt has been established (possibly as in established by a judgment having been given) but I've not seen an authoritative source for that. I suspect I'd need to resort to paper sources to establish an authority, which I can't do from home.

However there is one major point that distinguishes the quote in your post 8 from the OP's scenario of making a shop purchase (which is the scenario I've considered throughout). This point is that when wanting to make a purchase in a shop no debt has been established as the contract has not yet come into existence. The contract the seller would impose on the would-be buyer can incorporate a term requiring a certain form of payment (e.g. by card only) into that contract. If the buyer does not wish to enter into the contract because they object to the term specifying a form of payment the creditor/debtor relationship is not established and no debt exists as such. As there's no debt the point in post 8 is not applicable.

If in doubt read the

FAQs

If still in doubt - ask!

Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll just have to get over my distrust of chip and pin then!! I can understand the point of cheques bouncing, so I imagine more and more retailers will adopt this policy, which will keep the banks happy as it'll save them a fortune not having to print cheque books. (and of course all the money they save they can pass on to their customers:rolleyes: )

Bank of Scotland account 1 - £2,666 WON

Bank of Scotland account 2 - £2,500 on hold

GE Capital charges -£30 won (hey, every little helps!)

Barclays Partner Finance £425 charges - £225 offer accepted.

Finally debt free after 4.5 years, thanks to my Debt Management Plan through Payplan. There is no better feeling :D

Thanks for the answers. Guess I'll just have to get over my distrust of chip and pin then!! I can understand the point of cheques bouncing, so I imagine more and more retailers will adopt this policy, which will keep the banks happy as it'll save them a fortune not having to print cheque books. (and of course all the money they save they can pass on to their customers:rolleyes: )

Using chip and pin is far less of a risk than handing over a peice of paper with your sort code, bank account number AND signature on it surely? :-?

Micia Vs Scumbags Approx Actual

HSBC - DPSA sent, £4000

HSBC Visa - DPSA sent, £300

Barclays - DPSA sent, £300

Littlewoods - DPSA sent, £50

Style Card - DPSA sent, £50

Barclaycard- Statements pending, £200

Capital One- Statements pending, £200

GE Capital (DP)- Statements pending, £50

Natwest- £556.21, LBA Sent

GE Capital (NL)- £80, LBA Sent

Clode PLC- £330.64, LBA sent

Argos- £114.50, LBA sent

I got a Chip and Signature card from my bank. It took jumping through some hoops but I got it. I had to claim that I had a numeric version of Dyslexia (can't remember what it's called) and was therefore extremely poor with PINs. I explained that whenever I had to use a PIN, someone close to me had to assist which I felt unfairly compromised my account security.

Your bank may be easier to convince; but mine (Smile) almost said "no" even after that. I now sign every time I use my card; sometimes it's a pain in the 'arris because shops aren't expecting it - but it's better than Chip and PIN!!

Haha, I'm sure most banks will be the same as Smile - Chip & sig move the responsibility back to the bank in cases of fraud - As you may have seen on TV over the past few months, the banks believed it was impossible for fraud with Chip n Pin and any fraud was blamed on the card holder for being negligent with their pin!

I think that its now the retailer who is responsible for accepting a signature whereas a pin fraud is between the bank and cardholder.

Tom

I have noticed that many petrol stations now have a sign by the till saying that they no longer accept cheques. So what happens if you fill up then go to the pay point see the sign for the first time and only have a cheque book as means of payment. As a debt has now occured must they accept the cheque as legal tender?

I had that happen to me at a supermarket and they were really rude and threatened to call the police and have me charged with non payment if I did not pay by means they would accept - ie chip and pin or cash :( won't be using them again :( they said the signs were clear but I didn't spot them till I had filled up. I tried to argue but they wouldn't budge so I ended up paying cash (fortunately had enough on me).

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

A precise legal term which is often misunderstood. It means a means of payment which a creditor should not refuse in payment of a debt. For most coins and banknotes there is a maximum amount which a creditor or other person is obliged to accept.

that seems to imply for a debt. However when you make an offer to buy a product you are not yet in debt to the shop in question. It's probably to stop dodgy characters saying you owe me £5000 but I won't take cash I'll only take your mothers wedding ring type thing.

I've heard of some process where you leave them a 7-day IOU in that situation...? I heard it on CAG somewhere, someone'll know.

I have been in the situation where I have filled up with petrol and realised that I have left my wallet - this has happened twice in maybe 10 years. Each time the garage has asked me to fill out a form with name/address etc on and amount owed and I have returned the next day with the right money.

The Royal Mint has this as regards legal tender.

Legal tender is only required for paying into a court; outside of this, the parties may agree any form of payment they like. It is an urban myth that anybody other than a court has to accept legal tender as a form of payment.

As cheques are a generally accepted method of payment, the business of only having view of a notice at the till for a petrol station is not valid. The contract is entered into at the pump and if they wish not to accept cheques, then it must say so at the pump.

I would have written out the cheque and handed it to the cashier; then left. No offence is committed unless the cheque bounces. Our local motorway services states on the pump that cheques are not accepted, but will do so as a last resort.

surely they cover themselves by saying please ensure you have the funds to pay before dispensing petrol (or similar) which is on most pumps these days. As a cheque isn't legal tender then if thats the only way you have of paying you haven't got the funds to pay.