• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claiming over £6k in Scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have just requested £6405.00 from Halifax. Not at court stage as yet, but no doubt will be soon.

Does anyone know if I can take Halifax to court for the full amount, without having to hire a solicitor, or break the claim down into smaller claims? and if so what court would it be. I contacted my local court, Hamilton, who briefly advised me I would need a solicitor, however I spoke to a solicitor yesterday(when I was arranging for my mortgage) who said I don't need a solicitor and to carry on with the court threats.

But at some point I need to stop threatning and take action to get a result!!!

Would I be better complaining through the ombudsman?:confused:

Any feedback is soooo appreciated!!!

Hi,

You can claim using the English courts up to £5,000. You need an English address which you can rent for about £20 per month. If you claim in Scotland you would have to do about 4 or 5 claims, not recommended as some courts in Scotland are knocking back more than one claim on the same account. Looks like your best bet and safest bet is going through the FOS, takes longer but well worth it in the long run.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

You can claim using the English courts up to £5,000. You need an English address which you can rent for about £20 per month. If you claim in Scotland you would have to do about 4 or 5 claims, not recommended as some courts in Scotland are knocking back more than one claim on the same account. Looks like your best bet and safest bet is going through the FOS, takes longer but well worth it in the long run.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi,

Thanks for that feedback. Do you or anyone know if I would be able to claim in England up to £5k then claim the rest in Scotland? I'm not saying I would do this, probably just claim through FOS as it is less complicated, but I would like to keep my options open:p !!!

Have a look at the similar threads. It seems, as in my own ongoing case, that the FOS after the banks' derisory "offers" is the best route for amounts in excess of Summary Cause claims.

Ordinary Action (for amounts over 1.5K) without a solicitor may result in the Pursuer (you!) getting a spanking from the Sheriff for not being up to speed in Court procedure.

Ian P of Edinburgh

Have a look at the similar threads. It seems, as in my own ongoing case, that the FOS after the banks' derisory "offers" is the best route for amounts in excess of Summary Cause claims.

Ordinary Action (for amounts over 1.5K) without a solicitor may result in the Pursuer (you!) getting a spanking from the Sheriff for not being up to speed in Court procedure.

Yep fair game I suppose! Thanks for the feedback, I will stick with FOS and see how we go!

In regards to the FOS you can download the complaint form but you will need the final letter from the bank in response to your complaint before posting it, you can also claim interest.

I contacted the FOS, they have sent a letter to my bank to back up my request for refund, she also said I can claim back 6 years instead of 5! But I need to give them 40 days to respond before thay will do anything!!! Is this normal?:confused:

40 days or when they respond with final say, whichever is quicker.

The banks have 8 weeks to investigate your complaint so yes this would be correct, unsure of the 6 years instead of 5, maybe the Limitation Act we refer to up here aint what the FOS are referring to.

Ok!

Is there a Limitation Act period of time here in Scotland?

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Halifax today to check on progress of my complaint. the girl I spoke to said a letter is on it's way stating that the bank charges are lawful and they would not be refunded. Do I now get the FOS involved. I feel very daunted by this response, I didn't think I would!!!

I am also reclaiming from Bank of Scotland £885.00. I asked about this claim as well and was told that the letter I had sent (which, she said she knew was downloaded from a website!!) was wrong and the bank had 8 weeks to respond. My letter gave them 14 days before I proceed with court action. Just to clarify, I am perfectly within my rights to proceed with court action after 14 days?:confused:

You should have took her name so when you get your money back you could have called her and corrected her as she is so wrong about you getting your money back. The only thing she is right with is they have 8 weeks as per FSA. But that dosent mean you have to wait 8 weeks before taking any legal action.

Prelim 14 days then

LBA 14 days

then legal action can be taken.

That's what i've done, so I am on the rigt track with BOS. RE Halifax Do I just send the forms back to FOS? and can I really claim interest as well?

I thought I would play safe asking only for 5 years without interest, but now I am very annoyed:-x , if I can claim 6 years with interest I will. Silly me thinking the banks would play fair:rolleyes:

Claim for 6 years

yes you can claim for interest

Before you complain you must have the banks final say on the matter or if the 8 weeks has passed from when you first complained (prelim) whichever is quicker, the 8 weeks is allowed as per FSA.

Hope this helps

BIGMAC:

Ok!

Is there a Limitation Act period of time here in Scotland?

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Yes the limitation act in Scotland is 5 years however there is a growing momentum behind claiming further back.

The Halifax/ BOS settle for 6 years without any arguments.

Thanks!

So - for folks in my situation it looks as though getting a PO Box address in England is the way forward?

Correct?

Ok, I just got a very unexpected offer from Halifax for £4389.00.:o I did of course call to decline, but the man dealing with my case is not avaiable at the moment and will call me back today. Just a tad nervous incase i did the wrong thing.

I hadn't even wrote to the FOS yet, the letter arrived with refernece to the phonecall I made last week. I can see that new car now!!!:razz:

When they do phine back stick to your guns and they will more than likely settle for the full amount, explain that you will not accept a lesser amount and if you do not wish to settle this then you will be reporting them to the FOS.

From my personal experience they may up the offer a couple of times hoping you will accept less but remain adamant and you will succeed.

Let me know how you get on.

They phoned back and said they were being very generous with this offer, I explained, I didn't feel it was a fair offer considering I was only claiming 5 years without interest and I wouldn't settle for less than my original request. The guy said he is going to review the offer and will be in touch by Thursday next week, but I will phone them on Tuesday!

I got a call from Halifax today, offering £6k. I told them no and I feel they should offer the full amount giving I am only claiming 5 years etc. After some bartering and threats with FOS the guy said ok, will you settle for £6400? I accepted this offer. He then said that they were processing the transfer just now for the original offer of £4398.00 and I would recieve the rest approx 2 weeks from today and he is sending the amended offer out in writing.

I logged on to my bank account and £4398 had been credited, which was definitely not there today! I am just wondering, could they be trying to pull a fast one? Will they transfer the rest of what they owe me?

I did ask him when the first transfer would go through and he said it would be within 2 weeks, give or take a day!

What should I do, Will I phone them back, or just wait for the offer to come through the post?:confused: :confused: :confused: