Difficulties with quotes???

poppynurse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My hubbie has recently gone self employed and is being asked for quotes which he expected. The difficulty that has arisen is that once or twice he has quoted as per the time he thought a job would take but it has taken a lot longer. Does he have to stick to the original quote or can he invoice for the hours actually done? It actually ended up costing him to do one job :(

And what is the difference between a quote and an estimate - would he be better doing estimates???

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Guest ian cognito

He would be better doing estimates, they are exactly what they say, an guess at how much the job will cost, a quote, usually valid for a period e.g. 30 days would be what the customer would expect to pay.

Problem he has is that if he underestimates a job the customer is still not gonna be happy, thinking he's done so just to win the work, if he overestimates he could be too expensive!!!

Tough one, perhaps a disclaimer on the estimate saying and problems not evident at the time of the estimate will be charged seperately?

Yes, if it is a quote then he is bound to that quote for the job.

An estimate should still be in the same ballpark, however - you can't estimate at £500 and then charge £900.

If the job actually changes from the one quoted for, this is different and he can add on a reasonable amount for the extra work, regardless of whether he has given a quote or an estimate.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Hard one this.

My partner is a self employed plasterer,and generally he is pretty good at estimating now(taken him a couple of years to get it right).

I think you run the risk of losing repeat custom and word of mouth advertising if you change the price of the job whilst doing it, and it may be better to just keep to the original price and maybe lose a few quid ?

We have done this on the odd job when it has been a nightmare for one reason or another,but most of my partners work is from word of mouth and his reputation of doing a good job.

I know how hard it is when you first start out ,and quoting is so hard to get right,go in to high,lose the job,go in to low you either get the job and make a small profit ,or people shy away from you cos they think you're a cowboy lol !:o

Maybe when he prices a job,he can say that if the job is a straighforward as it looks it will be ....

and if he encounters this or that it will be ....and show the customer at the time the problem.

If not, then his reputation is at risk .Lose that and he will be in trouble...

JMHO

Hope xx

You need to read this if you have ever consolidated lending through your bank,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/49648-loans-pay-off-overdrafts.html

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) LETTER SENT15/12/06 - STATEMENTS RCD 22/12/06

PRE-LIM AND SOC SENT 11/01/07

FULL CLAIM OF £4093.04 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INT :)

JUST WAITING FOR STANDARD BOG OFF LETTER...:rolleyes:

LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!:lol:

LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR £2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!!:D ****

Member of the official Bill-K appreciation thread cos he's just ape !! :D

You have to be careful of the customer moving the goalposts too. They're total [email protected] for it, and they make it look like it's what they asked for in the first place.

Agree carefully EVERYTHING that they want done when you survey the job, make sure you point out any possible pitfalls (and the increase in costs that they might imply) and when you give any estimate make sure you include all the potential stuff as well and give them a MAXIMUM figure. If you do all this it's possible the customer will end up paying far less than you estimated.

A roofer came to do my house after the wind the other month; and he estimated £500 for the work he could see based upon a couple of assumptions. Some of those assumptions turned out to be incorrect and he only charged me £300.