• Tweets

• Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
    • too true HB, but those two I referred for starters - appear to be self admitted - One to excuse other lockdown law breaking, by claiming his estate away from his consistency and London abode was his main home the other if he claims to have 'not told the truth' in his own words via that quote - to have mislead his investors rather than broken lobbying rules   - seem to be slam dunks - pick which was your law breaking - it seems to be both and much more besides in Jenricks case Starmer was director of public prosecutions yet the tories are using seemingly baseless allegations for propaganda and starmer is missing pressing apparent blatant criminality in politics
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Flashbumper v Lloyds

Flashbumper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So..... I looked at this site for the first time yesterday & finnaly decided to do something about the countless charges my girlfriend has received for the last 2 years for going over her overdraft due to charges being added. The strain on us financially of losing between £30 - £120 a month has been immense & low and behold today my girlfriend receives another letter.. amongst other pressures, this is the finall straw for her & whilst at work I get a call to tell me that she has taken an overdose, to cut a long story short, I have spent the day in hospital & my girlfiend is now ok. As you can imagine I am very angry at the whole situation & am ready to claim back for my girlfriend what is rightfully hers. I have now read all the FAQ & alot of threads & feel ready to start, though before I do, I have some questions that I hope you all can help me with.

1) My girlfriend called Lloyds at the beginning of March & requested a copy of charges & was given the 40 day timescale, should I wait or should I send the letter on the templates (I dont really want to reset the 40 day period)??

2) I phoned Lloyds today at only spoke to an advisor who told me I needed to speak to customer care team. Ended up leaving a message & apparantly they will call me back. I really wanted to let them know what they had caused & I would refrain from getting angry, however I wondered whether you all would think it was worthwhile or not?? Should I just send the letters & forget about complaining?

3) Do you think I will have a problem fighting my girlfiends case for her (due to DPA) or should I just write on her behalf??

Answers from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I cant explain in words how I am feeling today & now I must put an end to it.

Regards

FlashBumper

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome ;-)

I am sorry to hear about what your girlfriend has been through, but you have taken a step in the right direction on her behalf.

Although you have 'verbally' requested the bank statements/charges, I would still stick to the template letters (unless you have access to internet banking as that way you can just print the information off)

In sticking to the template letters, timescales etc you have evidence of everything. Dont forget to send everything by recorded delivery also, as this way you also have he proof of postage AND delivery.

Have you read the FAQ's section ? This should give you all the information you require, but make sure you are fully informed at each step.

This site is fantastic and everyone will help you along the way

:wink:

I would like to send best wishes to your girlfriend XxXx

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D

Thanks CurlyChic,

Im that wound up by it all that Ive sat waiting for a reply!! So thanks for your input, ive read the FAQ, just didnt see anything about fighting someone-else's battles, plus there is sooo much I may of missed bits. I am just up for getting the paperwork started & will send a letter aswell as the original verbal request. I am online with Lloyds but have had difficulty finding the charges using their search facility?? Any tips on this??

FlashBumper

:)

Go into your stements, at the top left is a drop down box "Please select a statement option"

Choose "Search your statements" and press go.

Enter a starting date, go back as far as you can, try 01-01-2001, or whenever you opened the account.

"Select a search period" - + 3months

"Payment type" -Charge

Clck Search

This will show any charges in that period and in the right hand side a link to the actual statement sheet.

Next go back and move the date on 3 months, do the same again and keep repeating until you reach today.

There it is, all the details you need...

Happy hunting!

Read, Read and Read some more.

The answers are all out there...

By the way, it's your claim. I only offer an opinion as another reader. :confused:

Thanks Aqua2,

Funnily enough I started to do that the other day, but thought there must be an easier way! Obviously there isnt, oh well, I will persist & get on with it then!!

Any thoughts on my original questions?

FlashBumper

:-)

Another way to do it is to just click on 'statement' and then just keep clicking 'previous'. Obviously, this is a longer way around it than the way explained by aqua2, but thought i would let you know

;)

Not too sure on the 'claiming on behalf of someone else'. I am sure that your girlfriend will be in full agreement as to the steps you are taking to reclaim what is hers, therefore, as long is she is aware what you are doing then i cannot see a problem with it.

Keep her informed at every step of the way. There are other's on the site helping with claiming for mothers, fathers, daughters etc.

Hopefully one of the moderators will offer you a bit more advice in this area.

Good Luck with everything. I have subscribed to your thread and will keep an eye out for your posts. If i cannot answer your questions there will ALWAYS be someone else that can

:rolleyes:

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

Thanks alot. Really appreciatte it. Its strange how I actually feel a little better just from typing my concerns on this site & from getting reponses. I will update every step of the way!!

FlashBumper

:-)

Thats what she site is here for. We are all in the same or similar boat and are, therefore, a great source of strenght for each other.

One piece of advice to you is to keep reading. The more you read the clearer it all becomes.

Take care

xXxXx

I WON !!!!

Hi Flash! I think your girlfriend can claim by acting through you as a "litigation friend". I am sure that GaryH can help more on this if you could PM him. I'll trawl through the "Small Claims Procedure: A Practical Guide" (available to purchase from this site) - this is pure genius and takes you every step of the way and is written by a District Judge. It may be worth you investing in this as your case may be slightly different if you act for your girlfriend. Am out for most of the day today but will try to get back unless some else can. Good luck to both of you! Debs:p

Hiya Flashbumper,

1) If you didnt request statements using the DPA request letter and send your £10, then I would cancel your verbal request the bank, in case they charge you for them.

Can you print the statements off screen?

If you can, then you have the information you need to start with the preliminary approach for repayment in the templates section.

2) Dont waste your time ringing them to complain, you'll just get more annoyed with their blase responses.

3) You can write the letters, just get her to sign them, so there can be no argument, although you are helping, it is her claim.

On the subject of a litigation friend (McKenzie friend), I found this on wiki..

McKenzie Friend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google searches come up with very little on litigation friend, but plenty on McKenzie friend (the same thing).

It seems you are there as a helper only, but that's OK, just make sure you read and research everything, with her if you can, so you both understand whats happening and the processes involved.

Remember, if you get stuck just post your questions.

p.s. Is your bumper really flash? :D

By the way, it's your claim. I only offer an opinion as another reader. :confused:

Thank you both.

I will read through that link today & will find out what the charges are online.

I have another question though......

My girlfriend has two seperate Lloyds bank accounts, both have had charges on them. Do I need to make two seperate claims or can I do it as one?

The Flashest Bumper around

:p

I guess you should decide based upon the amounts claimed, if the combined claim is below £5K, then combine them into one small claim.

You can do a single claim, but make sure you complete two seperate spreadsheets and clearly identify which charges are from which account.

This will help remove any bank moans about your claim being vague etc.

Flashy bumper :cool:

Well... I've checked out the link & I feel I fit the bill of a 'McKenzie' Friend, wasnt really too complex to get my head around. Have also gone through the bank accounts for charges & have found a total of £786 worth, so this will be my claim! Will be straight on the phone tommorrow to cancell the verbal request of the list of charges (whats the betting that they send it anyway & charge the account!).

Just wanted to check something before I send the letter listing the charges, have read the FAQ & am I right in thinking that I make no mention of any interest in this first letter??

You have all been really helpfull so thaks alot.

Bump Flasher

Glad to see that you are getting sorted.

As you can see everyone here is fab and we all help one another.

Any questions just ask x

Good Luck

;)

I WON !!!!

Hi again,

Is the overdraft interest charge the same thing as the 8% interest?? Think im a little confused by this! Main reason for this is that the letter template for the prelimary request has interest included in it, so I assume I just delete this??

FB

:idea:

The overdraft interest is separate to the 8% which is calculated within the spreadsheet. This is the interest we are accruing upon the charges placed upon us. (hope that makes sense)

If you are claiming overdraft interest, the way i am led to believe it is that you must be able to show that the interest you have had to pay is purely because the penalty charges took your account into the overdraft.

I didnt bother with overdraft interest, but then my claim is smaller than yours (your girlfriends).

Hope that makes sence ?? Maybe someone else will be able to explain it better

:rolleyes:

XxXxX

I WON !!!!

Thanks both.

Have now written the letter & removed the Interest part & only mentioned the total sum of charges I want to reclaim.

I think this is right, so if not let me know before the morning & I can change it.

Thanks again.

Yep thats right

;)

You have/will be including your schedule of charges as well.....dont forget that !

Keep a copy of everything you send and post recorded delivery.

XxXxX

I WON !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There is some debate on this - you have stated that you will give them 14 days to respond - personally I would stick to this quite rigidly. For the sake of a few days it does show that you are doing your best to avoid litigation. Others would disagree the choice is yours.

Thank you.

I cant see the harm in waiting at all, so I will post on the 20th.

I had just figured that because they had responded within my deadline that I could take the next steps......

Better to do it by the book though.

FlashBumper

:razz: