dpbuk-has anyone had any bother with them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a website from these people and it was hacked, when I emailed them, they didn't get back to me at all, and since then I have redirected the homepage to a forum and now that has gone down, Warning: main(includes/application_top.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lossie1/public_html/index.php on line 13

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/application_top.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/lossie1/public_html/index.php on line 13

I have emailed them several times to see what's going on with their servers, but never a reply from them, I know they are still in business.

Is it up to them to sort this, it's on their servers?

Any advice?

Update...

I would like to let you all know that this issue has now been completely resolved. I wish to thank all of you for your support and guidance through this.

I have spoken to Daren at DPBUK and there have been miss communications on both sides due to undelivered emails.

I would also like to stress, in their defence, that, I was infact in debt to them for £80 for correcting a script error on my website. I offerred to pay this bill this evening, however, Daren has weived this.

Our lengthy conversation was calm and Daren was very understanding about this missing emails which he never received from me and the payment outstanding.

I would like to stress, that communication is vital for a mutually positive resolve to any issues. I am dissapointed that our communications broke down, but as I said before, I will accept part of the blame for that.

Daren has been very understanding and I am pleased to say that I would recommend dpbuk.

Thank You everyone.

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have their land line number. I would like some advice from them, that's all, about why I can no longer use my ftp programme and why I can no longer access my Cpanel? And that's it. Now that I am fed up with them I have written to them asking them for their Ips TAG because I would rather someone else host my account from now on.

Ah, see what you mean, thanks, will send letter recorded delivery, erm, where do I stand with them going into my cpanel and removing my Yabb forum and mychat? Surely that's not allowed?

They may not have done this; the hacker may have. Either way you'll know more when they reply to your letter. Have all your payments gone out on time?

Regarding hacking, take note of the following information:

• I have lost count of the number of "Harry Potter" sites I know where the password was "hogwarts".
  • Choose a password not related to you, the content of the site, your email password, and just about anything else. Choose one like L9tSit!4H& and make it different to ANY other passwords you have.
  • Hide your email address and choose a similar type of password for your email account.
  • Make sure the email address you use for internet stuff like websites etc is not your main email address that all your friends use.
  • Use a firewall on your PC and keep it up to date. (I recommend Zone Alarm Pro)
  • Use Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware on your PC and keep it up to date. (I recommend AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware - although the free edition of AVG is an adequate Anti-Virus solution).

Thanks Stone, I will just wait for their response then and if I'm not happy I will take it to the next step....? MCOL?

Although money ain't the issue here, I just want it all fixed.

Okay, so here's the latest...

Received an email from them today...

Hi ...

According to our records there is an amount of £80.00 +vat still outstanding

Once these outstanding charges have been paid we will be happy to reinstate your site

regards

dpb

If I remember rightly this was due to me uploading files via ftp programme and 'overloading their server' and they charged me to fix it? If I am in the wrong I am happy to pay, but it still doesn't give them the right to go into my site without my permission and delete everything does it? And ignore all my emails?

Where do i stand here?

Uploading files via FTP and overloading their server?!?! What an absolute load of utter tosh. (By the way they have not deleted everything; they've just removed your access to it and stopped it being presented to the internet - it's all still there).

1. FTP is a regulated service; you are only permitted to upload a certain amount after which it will stop you uploading any more.

2. If their server is overloaded by one user uploading a couple of files then their server is extremely poorly managed and that is THEIR AFFAIR, not yours.

3. There is no way you're in the wrong here; if you WERE then fair enough. But there is absolutely no way you can break their servers from your position as an external user. Can you give the exact text of what they sent you when they told you of this nonsense? How did they break down the bill? What were the charges for? Once we get these bits of info I'll be able to help more.

I have emailed them asking if it was them who had deleted my files, I will ask them what the charges are for and a breakdown, also challenge them on the issue of overloading their server.

Any advice how to hack back into my own site and lock them out? lol. PM obviously ;)

UPDATE:

Just sent email...

Hi, would it be possible for you to send me another breakdown of these charges of what they are for? That would be helpful, as I can not recall these.

Regards

I would be emailing them confirming that I am not responsible for their mismanagement of their own server... but I guess as I don't know what they said to you in the first place I better wait until I do LMAO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

it is always very interesting to find individuals complaining on sites like these when there is no individual to provide information about the scenario.

The customer was provided with a script which was adjusted incorrectly and caused the script to loop continuosly thus overloading the server. As a company full ftp details are provided to our customers so that they have full access to adjust files as required, however should we need to put these scripts right then of course we reserve the right to charge for our time to do this.

The customer installed third party scripts on the server which were not secure and kept upto date and were subsequently comprimised. As such these scripts were removed by us after an email was sent out asking for all scripts to be kept upto date, should they not be then they would be removed.

Our first concern is for server security and safety for all our customers. Secondly we are able to provide a service to assist customers who cannot program, a service for which we charge for as would any normal company.

you have the right to reply but the part I have removed is you providing information that should not be posted on a public forum but conveyed personally to the customer

Also we do not allow commercial links or phone numbers so they have also been removed as per site rules

Sorry, but your company sounds like a haven of miscommunication. Your company doesn't even state at first what this £80 is for; the 'customer' had to chase it up and ask. Not the sort of business practice that welcomes people in, frankly. Did you contact the 'customer' with a personalised (i.e., not mass-mail) e-mail to let them know that they had made a mistake with scripting? From the sound of it, no. Did you make them aware that a problem was occurring and that they would be charged for it?

Chocolatte, I'd be asking for a FULL itemised statement of account and an apology for them not contacting you sooner, leading you to believe that your website had been illegally compromised, before you pay the £80. That sounds fair, does it not, Daren (sic)? After all, customers are entitled to a breakdown of their account at any time during the service, and surely you wouldn't like to lose a valued customer due to a mess-up with your company's e-mail systems...?

• Haha 1

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Firstly, I don't think that it is apropriate for you to come in here advertising your business, and second, it was very unprofessional of you to reply to this post, without trying to sort it out with your customer, and trying to defend your actions when clearly you have not been giving your customer a clear breakdown of charges.

Furthermore sending an email billing them with no invoice is kinda sloppy. And to then ignore them persistantly is just down right rude, not to mention the hyjacking of the site in question.

The problem with your miss-managed server is not the customer's problem unless you can prove and advise them which you clearly did not do.

Regards the third party scripts which you yourself origionally installed where running fine and do run perfectly well on other sites, they are also updated regularly.

I think you really need to improve your communication with your customers.

And everyone knows the old..."No letter was ever received by us recorded or otherwise from the customer and the last communication we had with the customer was with regards to the outstanding invoice for services provided." chestnut.

Chocolatte if this matter is the subject of a potential litigation then I would strongly urge you not to reply to the other party in this medium. DBPUK I am disappointed that rather than respond to your customer's more private, written communications, you felt it appropriate to respond here. This is a forum where people seek advice how to handle disputes with their service providers; and with the information at our disposal I feel that respondents to this thread have given reasonably good advice. There is absolutely no need for you to "defend" yourself in this thread "against" those seeking or giving advice. All you have to do is write to your customer with full and frank information regarding the entire episode and genuinely seek a mutually acceptable resolution. I do not feel, given your post, that that is your aim.

I would remind all parties that a written letter is deemed received two days after sending. That is The Law (Civil Procedure Rules). If a party to a case stood up in court and stated that they had not received a letter, when the other party has evidence to support their sending it, the Judge would deem the letter received and would brook no argument.

Hi all,

the reason that I posted the comments here is that we communicated with the customer, both by email and by telephone. The customer was informed of the costs involved before we completed the work in writing and we received an email back confirming that this quote was accepted.

What I find astounding is that sites like these can and are used to slate companies who offer a service without an option to exent a reply. I myself am a consumer and I take up my issues with the company itself in writing, as it was suggested to our customer. But as stated this was not received, old chestnut or otherwise. We are very proud of our service, whilst like every company in the world we can and I am sure do get it wrong sometimes, we are the first to put it right if it is our error or we have caused the issue.

I would certainly appreciate from the customer information in letter format and would be willing to pay for it to be recorded to ensure that we receive a copy of the letter.

I await to see if this offer is taken by the customer and to resolve the issues.

Daren

...What I find astounding is that sites like these can and are used to slate companies who offer a service without an option to exent a reply...

Then what precisely is the above if not an option for you to respond?

We permit businesses to post here freely, as we also do with bank employees (for instance) and in actual fact are forging relationships with companies who wish to use our site as a vehicle by which to communicate with customers in a new format.

The only thing we do not allow are links to sites that are profit driven and that is the only part of your previous post that was removed.

We do not side with a party, we merely offer constructive advice as to how to resolve a matter raised by a user. If you find that criticisms of your company or practices are unjust then you certainly have an opportunity to express your side of the story.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi,

I did not intentionally wish to advertise our company, the details were left for the customer to contact me directly as they did not repsond to the email asking for payment of the outstanding invoice. If our post was misread as this accept my appologies.

The first we found out about this issue being plastered over the internet was when we did a google search for our company. To say the least I was astounded by this as this issue of the outstanding invoice has been going on for around 12 months now. We have given the customer ample chance to pay the invoice and have taken the action we have due to non payment.

Thanks I will await the customer sending us a recorded letter.