Atm Dispute

mioliere
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thread Tools vbmenu_register("threadtools"); menu_open.gifSearch this Thread vbmenu_register("threadsearch"); menu_open.gifRate Thread vbmenu_register("threadrating"); menu_open.gif

post_old.gif Today, 15:04 #1 (permalink) mioliere vbmenu_register("postmenu_707978", true);

Basic Account Customer

reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif ATM Dispute

Hi - I have posted before but on someone else's thread because I couldn't find 'post new thread'. I feel pretty daft now because, obviously, I have now found it and it really wasn't that difficult. Have a lot of monkeys playing around with my brain at the moment! My earlier post was about an ATM dispute my mum is having with Nat West bank. One of the replies to my previous post asked whether or not my mum had been given an ATM dispute form and we are now wondering if she should have been offered one when she first queried two withdrawals she hadn't made but had had money debited from her account for. The bank have told her that nothing can be done because the dispute took place more than six months ago. If we can claim unfair bank charges for the previous SIX YEARS surely the ATM transactions should also be covered? My mum has been a good customer of the bank for more than fifty years and she feels they are accusing her of trying to defraud the bank of £200 which is ludicrous. Can she ask to see what the ATM actually recorded on the day her money went missing in the same way that we can demand our statements? Her bank is held in one town and, because she moved to a different county and the bank said she couldn't transfer her account to her new local branch (I don't understand why she couldn't transfer it) she wrote to her local branch AND the one which holds her account but has only had a reply from the local one. I would have thought she would receive a reply from both. I am very concerned because it is not the first mistake they have made. On the day of the disputed ATM withdrawals, she withdrew £300 (the bank say she withdrew £500!) but her branch only allows her to withdraw £250 maximum per day unless she has made an arrangement with them which she hasn't. Now they tell her that it is £500 maximum per day but she hasn't made an arrangement for this. They have also just written and told her that, if she doesn't deposit into her ISA for the year 2006/07 she will have to reactivate her account, yet she put £3000 in in January this year and has the statement to prove it. I'm concerned that she has been muddled up with another customer.

I'm sorry for such a long post but I can't find anyone else here that has had an ATM dispute or an ISA deposit ignored by the bank. I do hope someone is able to help. Many thanks in anticipation

Guest NATTIE

ATM dispute form was posted by me and the timescale involved if you have it in writing may well be correct. She needed to have queried earlier in time I'm afraid.

Hi Nattie - many thanks for your reply. She did query it when she first received her statement showing that £200 more than she had received from the ATM had been debited. She went into the branch and discussed it with the cashier who then fetched someone else. They said that the machine was nothing to do with them but that they would contact the company who maintained it and get back to her. She left it some weeks - because she did not want to pester, having already been made to feel a nuisance -and heard nothing so went back into the branch and, again, was told that they would investigate and get back to her and, again, she heard nothing and just gave up; the bank has told her this week, in the first letter she has had from them about the matter, that, as six months have passed, they can take it no further - funnily enough, their lack of response and failure to get back to her ensured it did indeed go beyond the six months. She felt she wasn't being taken seriously by the bank staff. I only found out by chance a few weeks ago and I am really angry that she felt she couldn't take it further - as she put it 'little people like me can't fight the big boys'. This is why I said I would help her try and get her money back. They should have contacted her on the two occasions that they reassured her they would but she feels they just dismissed her completely and hoped she'd go away. This, after banking there for over fifty years! Our letter to Nat West asked why they hadn't contacted her as promised and their letter did not even refer to that. It's a pretty shabby way to treat a long-standing customer. Incidentally, the letter they sent her was obviously just a photocopy, in a roughly hand-written envelope on which they hadn't even spelt her name correctly and was 'signed' (merely a scanned signature) by the 'Counter Manager'. It does not give a customer much confidence. I think she has been treated unfairly and I'm very sad that it appears that nothing can be done. Thanks for your time.