• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TH v First Direct

Talking Heads
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received a notice from the Banks solicitors that they were going to contest the claim, that was dated 9 March so the 28 days are coming to an end I think tomorrow, no correspondance since, expected something to day but again nothing.

A bit nervous as to where that leaves me, this court stuff is a mine field, has anyone any experience on what happens next! would appreciate some feed back. ;-)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of two things are likely to happen next either you will get an allocation questionaire to fill in. Or as seems to be happening more and more the judge will dispense with the AQ and go straight to setting a court date. I wouldn't worry about appearing in court just yet to date no one has had to and there is no reason to think that the banks will change policy at the moment.

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

Received a notice from the CC advising the defendant have filed a defence, I have the allocation questionnaire.

The form from ther CC refers to the terms imposed by the bank as being reasonable and that the bank is entitled to a charge for its services, they deny that the charges amount to penalties and deny that I have a right to a refund.

Really not sure if I will get anything from this, I have looked through the forum and while most people have to go through the motion they appear to get at lease an offer, the only thing I have got is an offer of mediation, has anyone else experienced this!

I would appreciate some comments please.

Part of the problem in making these claims is that there is no pattern as to what the bank will do. Sometimes they make a full offer after the prelim and sometimes it is not until they are just about to go to court. What we do know is that they do make an offer eventually. :D

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

• 3 weeks later...

we're not quite at your stage yet, but not far behind you. We have filed claim and are waiting for FD to submit their defence. Like you we didn't get any sort of offer. FD seem to be prepared to follow through with us. I'll be following your experience with interest.

Hi Mohamed, like you I was concerned that the bank would go all the way with my claim, I started another thread which is about 5 threds below this one and basically was reassured that the bank are doing this with most claims, I have filed my AQ and now wait for a court date.

Good luck.

Hi. I'm at the same stage as you. Filed my AQ today and now waiting for a court date. I will be sending a nudge letter to DG solicitors, but I think FD will keep us waiting until the day before the court day before making an offer of the full amount.

Watchdog yesterday was very uncomplimentary about the banks - ran through a whole gamut of issues using examples of people who'd asked for their statements in order to request refunds of their bank charges to highlights how banks are failing to protect customer's personal data.

back to FD - I wonder if their tactics are anything to do with the amount we are claiming. We are asking for £5000. anyone out there asking for anything similar.

Watchdog yesterday was very uncomplimentary about the banks - ran through a whole gamut of issues using examples of people who'd asked for their statements in order to request refunds of their bank charges to highlights how banks are failing to protect customer's personal data.

back to FD - I wonder if their tactics are anything to do with the amount we are claiming. We are asking for £5000. anyone out there asking for anything similar.

It would seem that they are treating the larger claims differently to the smaller ones which does not make sense as the SI and costs mounts up much quicker, would they be better off settling as early as possible! :confused:

I am claiming a similar amount, they made two offers before submitting my N1, they are defending the claim and have gone silent.

Submitted my allocation questionnaire on 2nd May using the new strategy, now waiting for the court date, hoping the judge will go for the new ‘draft for directions’. I think reading the other post they do treat larger amounts differently

Landy

i'm puzzled by how different their tactics are in each case. We have had no offer at all!!!

i've also just been reading the dubliner10 v fd thread and see offers were made by FD in that case also.

Is their any rhyme or reason to this that we should know about. Anyone else not been made an offer by FD.

Hi,

All I have had so far is "not a chance" but not in so many words!

I have another week before I file at the court but I'm not expecting to hear anything. My claim is a similar amount to yours - just under 5k.

L

Hi, my claim is a little over £3.5k and I too have had no offer at all following the LBA. I should now be doing MCOL, but need to save a few ££££'s before I can do it.

I don't bank with them anymore so am wondering if this has any reflection on the tactics. What about you?

If at first you don't succeed, dig your heels in!!!!!!!!!!:D

First Direct - SAR 27/2/07 ; Statements received 30/3/07; Prelim sent 31/3/07

Barclaycard - SAR 27/2/07; Statements to '04 received

Hit List - Halifax; Lloyds TSB; M&S Credit Card

Waiting for a court date or some acknowledgement that FD's solicitors are doing something other than letting people stew. Have to admit I am nervous about what may happen, do not really want to go to court if at all possible but will if I have to. :cool:

I am after 3,900 from First Direct, They sent me two 'get lost' lettersso I filed with MCOL and FD acknowledged the claim. They have until 29th May to file a defence. I wrote to FD asking if they wanted to settle and I have a message on my answerphone from the Bank which says something along the lines of, "Now you have gone to Court we can't make you an offer unfortunately, you have to wait to hear from our solicitors. We can't keep up with the number of claims". I think the 'random' response is about the number of claims that are flooding in, rather than any pre determined pattern. I will let you know how I get on.....

Gensha

Received a letter from the County Court today advising that unless the defendant file their completed AQ by the 31 May 2007 the defence and any counter claim will be struck out!

:confused: Does that mean my claim would be successful by default!

Anyone else get this.

hi TH,

please don't get your hopes up i believe it is a standard response from reading some of the other threads, i have seen some threads where the banks have been late with submitting the AQ and they have got away with it as the courts are so inundated, my local court is several weeks behind with responding to its post. If they don't submit by the 31/5 ne quick and contact the court and apply for judgement in default and see if they will grant it, fingers, legs, toes and everything crossed for you!!!!

If they don't you need to prepare for the next stage and a good thread (if you haven't seen it already) for you to read is Allocation Questionnaires a new strategy, its very long so allocate (sorry no pun intended) a few hours. I am at the same stage as you, my claim is just of £10K against FD with stat interest. I have submitted my AQ with directions to the court now just waiting for a date. I have an application to vary the amount of the claim due to a maths error (was never my strong point) up before the judge so it might move things along. Their solicitors DG just seem to file just in time at the last moment. Let us all know how you get on as the deadline is up this Thursday

regards

Ellie