• Tweets

• Do you have historical meter readings from before the meters were changed? And more recent history showing consumption, in metered units not in £s,  since the change. One specific thing to check is gas. Check that the meter and the bill use the same units. If the meter is recording cu.m but they're billing as if it was counting 100 cu.ft, then your bill will be nearly three times too high.  Overall I'm guessing it's an Ovo screw up. It's significant that they didn't block the transfer, maybe they aren't so sure of their position.
    • Hmmm, interesting point. In my career, that I am retired from now, there were an immense amount of rules and regulations that one had to adhere to by law. The qualification process is rigorous with on going assessments throughout your career and re-certification every 12 months. If you were shown to be not competent in those rules and regulations you could not hold the position and the operational consequences of that could potentially be dire. In the same respect, perhaps a judge who is not conversant in the rules of POFA should not sit in on cases that requires proficiency in that area? I also bow to your considerable knowledge in this area, perhaps I shouldn't be commenting but by doing so I find it helps the learning process. Your last point has just reminded me of something that may help my case, thank you.
    • Just had an email re the my breache in agreement by her rep.   I asked you yesterday if they had asked about her name in the thread being removed.   The issue they have is the Elizabeth turner and genetic pups entry on google.   they knew I did not put it up and told them so in court.  I dnt know how to post on google.   I told them I cannot remove what I did not post.  when i come back here and saw her name gone from threads title, I presumed her reps sought it.   now I get an email saying her names still on google ur breaching the agreement as it’s still on google.  
    • Peter McCormack says "ambition is big" and Real Bedford's attendances are increasing with promotions.View the full article
    • How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LRD vs Lloyds TSB**Settled**

LRD
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having been spurred on by Martin Lewis' site, I started asking for statements at the end of last year, and sent in a Data Protection letter requesting the 6th year as I could get majority of statements online.

Various calls, letters (two advising i'd go to court unless I got some satisfactory correspondence), going into branch etc later. I finally received the statements i'd actually asked for yesterday........ so much for 40 days. Have also had several standard template response letters along the way, all completely impersonal to me as per usual.

So today, I have submitted my claim using money claim, now that i actually know what i can claim for. Cost me £50!! And my claim is not for that much as unfortunately my student days are beyond the 6yr statute barr, and i'd be getting back thousands if i could request the money from back then. i have since been a bit better at managing my account, namely because i moved banks, but still have £350 of Lloyds charges that I think are worth pursuing.

Am a bit concerned i havent sent in all the info on the online section - I put in the s.69 of 1984 act bit, but didnt give a breakdown of how i'd arrived at my figure - not enough space. So i am hoping i have provided enough info. Any advice??

am going to give the courts 5 working days to service claim, and then lloyds 14 calendar days from then to acknowledge.

bit scary, but will see how we go.

they are the worst bank i have ever dealt with, and deserve all they get. so much for customer loyalty....

Thanks Barty,

I think so!

Prelim letter was sent in at same time as data prot request, saying i believed i'd been given unlawful charges, outlining the ones i knew about, and linking it to my DPR where i asked for final 6th year of statements.

I have prob sent in two kind of LBAs. Each were chasing up the statements, and complaining about the template response i got initially. Both said I would be going to court unless Lloyds took action.

Once the claim has been served on LLoyds and they have acknowleged receipt you will get a letter from the court to this effect advising you of the date that Loyds have until to respond.

What they will probably do is defend the claim and if this happens they then get 28 days,but the clock for either the 14 or 28 days starts ticking from the day that the claim was served on them.

If they do defend then you get an acknowledment of service and when this has been received this is when you can submit your 8% interest claim.

You can find the template of this on this site and it even calcs the 8% interest for you.

Any more probs or questions let us know.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

• 3 weeks later...

started court process on moneyclaim. lloyds had til 29th apr to ackn. letter arrived yest, advising they are defending their claim - as of 21 Apr, so 28 day starts from then.

however, also got letter direct from lloyds "customer service" - the crap people in andover, dated 12 april, but arrived yest (25th) advising they will make one off settlement of £246 (which does not even total the amount of charges, let alone interest, and the moneyclaim fee) which they'll pay into my account within 10 days. so far no money into account.

they clearly dont know what tack they and their solicitors are taking - as both are saying diff things!

What should next steps be - continue as per usual? assume lloyds andover letter is a mistake and solicitor intention to defend is correct?!

Hi

You should send one of the letters here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejection-settlement-offer.html

And carry on with your claim.

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Please look around the site, i beleive the idea is now to claim as far back as you can. The barrier of 6 years appears to have been lifted, seeing as the charges were never justified you could still make a new claim for your older charges. Look around there is a few articles on this.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

sent template advised by Barty refusing their offer, also copied this to the court. waiting out on response. worded it in relation to past six years only, but wondering if i should even start trying to get the rest of it back - prior to 6yr bar covers 5 student years when i was getting charged all the time.....! it could be an awful lot of money, i have no real idea. i have a similar query as some others - i.e whether you can make two claims covering the whole period of time, or if the courts would just look positively at the 6yrs permitted under statute.

it took me from dec to april to get the DPR responded to for the statements in the original 6yr period (40 days - yeh right!)

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from court today - it has been transferred from Northampton to my local one, Basingstoke.

it has also been ordered that the filing of an allocation questionnaire be dispensed with in this case unless the dist judge at the court orders otherwise, i have 14 days to apply to have this order set aside, varied or stayed, and an allocation fee may be payable.

Defence submitted by Lloyds:

1. By opening an account with the bank, the customer enters into a commercial arrangement with the bank for the provision of banking services. the bank is entitled, as part of that arrangement, to charge for those services. at account opening a customer is provided with details of the bank's charges, currently in a leaflet a guide to our banking charges. by using the account, the customer acknowledges that the charges are incorporated into the contract. for personal customers, a number of services are provided for free, notwithstanding that they are an expense to the bank. such services presently include, but are not limited to, providing; cheques bank statements the facility to make payments by direct debit and standing order debit cards ATMs (cash machines).

2. by maintaining the account in credit, or within any limit agreed with the bank, the customer may avoid most if not all charges. if the customer fails to ensure that there are sufficient cleared funds in the account to cover payments, whether by cheque, debit card, standing order or direct debit, the customer makes a request for a payment to be made from the bank's own funds. if the bank makes payment, or returns the payment, it provides a service as specified in the leaflet and makes a charge in accordance with the terms of the contract. on page 1 of the leaflet, the bank explains that there are normally no charges for everyday banking at lloyds tsb when your account is in credit. when you use an agreed overdraft, there is no monthly fee and we only charge interest on the amount you are overdrawn each day. where you go overdrawn without an agreement or where you use special services, such as copy statements, we will make a charge. this guide explains how these charges work, and when they will apply. if you want to use a service that we havent listed, we'll tell you the cost of that service before you give us the go-ahead.

3. there is no breach of contract; the charge cannot therefore be a penalty, consequently there is no requirement that the charge be a pre-estimate of the bank's loss.

4. the customer is given advance warning of charges being imposed; statements show the charges, if any, the customer has incurred during the course of a month, and which will appear as debits on the following month's statement. customers are warned by letter when they go overdrawn or over their agreed limit without arrangement with the bank. if the customer fails to remedy the position, and payments such as standing orders and direct debits are refused then again the customer is warned by letter.

5. the charges are fair and reasonable, and it is denied that they are unlawful.

6. the customer is notified of the charges in plain intelligible language at the conclusion of the contract, and on each monthly statement. the charges are terms which relate to the price payable by the customer for a service provided by the bank, and pursuant to regulation 6 of the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations 1999, are not subject to the assessment of fairness.

7. in the premises:

7.1 the charges are for banking services, and are not damages nor a penalty;

7.2 it is denied that the charges are unlawful or contravene any statute or regulation.

8. Further, insofar as part of the claimant's claim is based on charges levied on her account prior to six years from the date of issue of her claim, that is 10th april 2001, this part of the claim is statute barred by section 5 of the limitation act 1980. the defendant is unable to verify the amount claimed prior to the 10th april 2001 as the particulars of claim does not show how the amount claimed is arrived at.

9. the claimants claim is denied in its entirety. it is further denied that the claimant is entitled to the sum claimed or to any sum from the bank.

10. the defendant has paid the claimant £246.00 on the 26th april 2007 as a gesture of goodwill.

i first made a data protection request in Dec 2006 - and it took until April 07 for lloyds to give me the correct info. I made a claim back to dec 00 which was the 6 years - it is not my fault that lloyds did not comply with the timescales. further, in my various letters to lloyds, i sent them a breakdown of my claims - so they HAVE been given a copy of this, though i did not submit this to the court when i first made the claim online. i just added the £50 fee to the charges plus interest and have only ever sought to claim back that amount.

i did get a letter about the £246, which i wrote back to refusing, and cc'd that to the court.

i was expecting this questionnaire, but it has been cancelled. what am i meant to do now?

• 1 month later...

I think I have won - well once I accept the settlement and the money is put in my account.

I got the same 2 letters others have received, one being about this Billercay branch which I am ignoring.

They are settling to within a few pounds which I am more than happy to accept. Some have been advised to cross out T&Cs then sign acceptance form - why is this.

How do I do the I have won thing - not vgd at this site, and have just typed v.similar to this on someone else's thread who got the same letters as me.

v.pleased tho, and relieved no going to court to worry about it seems.

Congratulations!!:grin: :grin:

You need to send a Private Message to one of the Mods (names are in green) and ask them to change your title and move you to the "Successes".

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Congratulations!!!:D

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.