• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Halifax not paying within time frame **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

could anyone help me please?

I have recently agreed a settlement on my current account for £1978 which is the total amount claimed for (without interest).

My problem is,

I have a reducing overdraft arranged on my account.

Before returning my acceptance letter I discussed this with the Halifax collections dept

who confirmed that this arrangement could remain in place despite the charges being returned providing I maintained my agreement.

Yesterday I logged on to find that my overdraft had been withdrawn!!!!!!

I spoke to collections again who advised me that customer relations had requested the removal of the overdraft and even so,

any lump sum paid into the account other than salary would be taken to reduce the overdraft regardless of the arrangement!! I immediately rang customer relations who confirmed that they had made no such request and were not in the habit of removing overdrafts, merely settling claims. They are looking into this. I really want to stick with arrangement as I have more pressing debts to settle first.

Any advice? similar experiences?

Hi

Try emailing their custoemr services with the situation. If you have an arranged over draft (and in process of reducing it through an arrangement) then i should imagine you will get the refund. They are breaking the contract if you have an agreement to reduce the O/D so tell them that.

Hope this helps

Thanks mrsfoot! I too thought that and have told them so. The problem is collections and customer relation are two seperate departments and are contradicting each other. I also think it may be tactics to make me repay the overdraft sooner than the arrangement expiry. Does anyone have an email address for customer relations?

Basically....

agreed settlement of charges with Halifax for full amount without interest.

I have a reducing overdraft facility arranged on my current account and agreed in writing to reduce at £200 per month plus interest. I confirmed that this would remain in place with collection dept prior to accepting in writing providing I maintained the agreement and that it could continue as agreed.

Logged on last week to find overdraft facility withdrawn - phone collections and said we can withdraw facility anytime we like, especially now you about to receive a lump sum! reiterated our agreement and was told customer relations had requested the removal ov overdraft facility and nothing to do with collections. phoned CR - no such request existed. phone back Collections - said decision stands, we can do what we like and wont be reversing the decision!

Can they do this even when there is an arrangement in place and confirmed that it would continue? I have more pressing debts that need paying first. Isnt this just a retaliation tactic?

By the way, overdraft stands at -£1491, claim is for £1972.

Does it state anywhere that they reserve the right to recall all monies due at any time?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

I will have to check it ou again but I'm quite sure that it says nothing of the sort. Just that that they agree to me reducing the overdraft by a set amount per month until paid. No other conditions.

It is your money. Ask for a repayment by cheque. If you have an agreement with them to repay the amount owing, and you haven't defaulted against it, then I would do this, that way you can allocate the money how you like. If they are still being a bit difficult then try the" right of appropriation" letter in the bank template section.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Thanks for your replies...how do I use 'the right of appropriation' in this instance if it relates to benefits? Or am I missing something here? I have tried asking for the money by cheque only to be told that they HAVE TO pay through the account. Has anyone managed to do this as yet, and if so how did you manage it?

FWIW

In the terms and conditions of your account it likley says they can request repayment of overdrafts instantly.

It probably says they have the right to offset from one account to another.

when it comes to the 'rights of approproaition' i am not sure that this willl help unless you are trying to protect income to pay bills live etc. I would be happy to be proved wrong of course.

If you are in a DMP or IVA the situaiotn would be different and you can argue for payment in totla to you by cheque.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Checked letter of agreement to reduce my overdraft - very simple...no conditions other than will charge me £10 for breaking the agreement.

Followed advice and sent 'rights of appropriation' today requesting to protect the refund in order to meet my living costs (mortgage / utilities / council tax).

Also CCA'd my 3 exiting accounts which currently have arrangements on them. Lets wait and see!

Hi.. 14 working days now passed and I still have not had refund. Phoned them and they just said they are so busy and its taking longer. Should I start court action?

14 days since what, the prelim or lba?

if it was the prelim then send lba

if it was the lba then start court action.

May i also say this information is very basic stuff and is easily found in the FAQ's, please have a read in there as this will help you in your claim.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Ok

sent prelim - received standard letter

sent lba - received offer

accepted offer - returned acceptance form

told would be in account within 14 working days - has not happened!

been told it will take longer due to amount of similar cases

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Ahemmmm!!!! I am very aware of the basics thankyou.. I wondered what I should do next!!!!!

Is that not a contradiction in terms?