Using a card withough autorisation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Long story short.

Basically I hired a Van and as I was moving it out of the lease companies yard I brushed the side of another one of their other vans. They were parked so close together that I struggled to get out and no help was offered to pull the van out by any of the lease companies staff.

I paid for the hire of the van using my master card so they had my card details on their file.

Without informing me of the cost of the repair (if it has been repaired), the lease company have used my card details that they held after payment for the lease of the van to pay for the damage without asking me first. Where do I stand on this as there is nothing in their small print saying that this is what they do? All I recived off them was an invoice and a recipt that said "customer not present" in the signature box.

Cheers

It will probably state on your rental agreement that you are liable for any damage to the vehicle. Did you take their insurance out when you hired the vehicle? They could only charge you the excess which will be on the rental agreement.

In my experience in hiring vans, when you pick up the vehicle you check round it with the agent and mark any damage on a checklist/drawing and you both have a copy.

Then on the return you do the same again and checka against the original checklist.

Thanks. I'm not denying the damage done. I'm more than happy to pay for the damage.

However, I'm not happy at the way they have just used my card details with out my permission. They already withheld my depoit of £100 and 1 month later they have charged my card a second time for the remainder of the cost of the repair. Can they do this?

You need to read your rental agreement.

I know thay usually have a clause stating that any damage,fuel etc will be charged to your card.

But i do believe they would need to inform you of the amount first

Just for future reference, if the vehicle is stored in a difficult position you are within your rights to have them get it out for you. If they won't then you make it clear that you will not be held responsible for any damage caused while you're getting it out.

I feel that then you would have a far better chance of being successful in a claim against them for the cost of damage.