cab driver kept sons jacket

Yasmin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My teenage son took a cab home in the early hours of Sunday morning, and told the driver he would have to come in to get the fare, which was 7-00.

Couldn't get an answer so went round the back. At this point the driver asked him for his jacket to hang onto for security. That's fair enough, but when he then went out to pay him, driver had gone.

He called the cab office next morning and the controller said she'd give him our 'phone no. and ask him to call, could be later as he is a night driver. Well nothing happened so called the company again and spoke to the Office Manager. She said that they do not usually get involved as the drivers are self employed! However thought it had been handled totally incorrectly, so said she would be in touch with driver and ask him to call to arrange something.

Finally he called, at 8 o'clock last night, was very argumentative and said that he was so angry he just put the jacket straight in the bin! He did tell the controller what had happened when he got back to the office, so I find it hard to believe that he would bin the jacket immediately. It was one month old and cost 45-00 new. His final words last night were, "it's up to you decide what you want to do, I'll call tomorrow morning"

He called this morning, and was argumentative again told me to go to the police if I wanted. I told him I was willing to deduct cab fare and wear and tear from the cost of the jacket, but he just said he'd call later. I said I was going to speak to the Office Manager. However how do I stand on this if the driver's are self employed? Surely some of the responsibility falls on the company . Can anyone advise me on this please, I am due to call them at 12-00.

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

My teenage son took a cab home in the early hours of Sunday morning, and told the driver he would have to come in to get the fare, which was 7-00.

Couldn't get an answer so went round the back. At this point the driver asked him for his jacket to hang onto for security. That's fair enough, but when he then went out to pay him, driver had gone.

He called the cab office next morning and the controller said she'd give him our 'phone no. and ask him to call, could be later as he is a night driver. Well nothing happened so called the company again and spoke to the Office Manager. She said that they do not usually get involved as the drivers are self employed! However thought it had been handled totally incorrectly, so said she would be in touch with driver and ask him to call to arrange something.

Finally he called, at 8 o'clock last night, was very argumentative and said that he was so angry he just put the jacket straight in the bin! He did tell the controller what had happened when he got back to the office, so I find it hard to believe that he would bin the jacket immediately. It was one month old and cost 45-00 new. His final words last night were, "it's up to you decide what you want to do, I'll call tomorrow morning"

He called this morning, and was argumentative again told me to go to the police if I wanted. I told him I was willing to deduct cab fare and wear and tear from the cost of the jacket, but he just said he'd call later. I said I was going to speak to the Office Manager. However how do I stand on this if the driver's are self employed? Surely some of the responsibility falls on the company . Can anyone advise me on this please, I am due to call them at 12-00.

Personally, I would just contact the Police, as it is Theft.

Just let them know that, and ask for his details

I would also ask the cab company for his licence plate number and report this incident to your local council who are responsible for issuing all hackney cab licences and let the driver know that you have his number and this is what you are going to do. Also, fair enought to deduct cab fare as your son was trying to pay anyway but I would not deduct wear and tear on a one month old jacket!

• Haha 1

when you deal with this issue if you should follow up any conversations in wiritng and make formal complaints in wiritng too.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, so far. Just called to speak to the Office Manager, supposed to be in at 12.00. Seems like a good job, she's out to lunch already! told me to call back in an hour. Hope I'm not being given the run around......

You are. Self employed or not the cab company is still liable for the conduct of their driver.

As has already been suggested contact the police

• Haha 1

As Glenn says, I would write to them, giving them 7 days to provide you with the Drivers Registration and taxi plate number.

Why not call your local Licensing office at the council and ask their advice as they can prosecute under certain offences,

Taxi drivers can be refused a licence if they have a criminal record, which of course means he'll be out of a job. I think you've made a reasonable effort to contact the taxi firm, to no avail. The driver is being aggressive and unco-operative, now it's time to go to the police and report the theft.

When you have the driver's number, call the council and report the incident to them. If he has a history of this sort of behaviour then they need to know he's still doing it.

• Haha 1

FD Telephone Monkey: "But we're only trying to help you Mr. Volcano"

LMFAO!!!!!

Just been in touch with Trading Standards, who advised me to call Consumer Direct first. As you say it is potential theft, and I will be reporting it. May give him until this evening , as he said he'd get back to me (may miraculously find the jacket....) As it is a mini cab company, cannot go down that route Pkea, unfortunately. Anyway the Office Manager couldn't be apologetic enough and has given me hiss call sign and full names and says she will , of course, supply further details to the police on request. Will let you know.....

changed my mind, reporting it now !!!

Just been in touch with Trading Standards, who advised me to call Consumer Direct first. As you say it is potential theft, and I will be reporting it. May give him until this evening , as he said he'd get back to me (may miraculously find the jacket....) As it is a mini cab company, cannot go down that route Pkea, unfortunately. Anyway the Office Manager couldn't be apologetic enough and has given me hiss call sign and full names and says she will , of course, supply further details to the police on request. Will let you know.....

Which route are you refering to?

I thought you were referring to hackney carriage license and plates. Can I report a mini cab driver, are they licensed by the council?? Just reported it to the police anyway. They are calling me back today or tomorrow.

Yep they are all licensed? just different types of licenses

Hackneys can pick up anywhere

Mini Cabs can only be booked through operator and csnnot pick up off the street

This is reflected in the cost of their plate, ie about 20 times for a hackney opposed to a mini cab.

I have worked with licenseing authorities on undercover stings against mini cabs picking up from streets.

Thanks for that . Do you think I should just stick with reporting it to the police at the moment and see how that progresses or phone the council anyway?:confused:

Thanks Pkea, have just reported it to Public Carriage Dept. Transport for London. Will be putting it in writing.

Absolutely!

There is no 'potential' theft here, he took it without permission and despite you requesting it twice, has failed to return it. If your son took £45 from his taxi do you think he wouldn't report it to the police?

The police is definately your priority. Report the whole incident to the council licensing department once it's been resolved, they can't have dodgy characters picking up members of the public.

FD Telephone Monkey: "But we're only trying to help you Mr. Volcano"

LMFAO!!!!!

Well, guess what? It's apparently not a criminal matter. It was acknowledged that it is a gray area, however they are saying it's a civil matter. Wonder if he has done this before, as he didn't seem a bit bothered that I could report it!

Anyway the police still say report it to Transport for London, and just because they're not following it up, give them the crime no. and they may be able to do something about it.:rolleyes:

I just find this is outrageous , how can he get away with this? Even the cab company said "report it, it's theft"

Maybe they're too busy with OAP Asbo's ;)

Hi

my brothers a hackney driver but used to do private hire, he suggested that you contact the council licencing office with the name of the taxi firm and the taxi drivers association in writing and to inform the cab firm that you will be doing this, this may scare them into taking action against the driver as they could lose their operating licence

Sam

Just noticed, i've put this in the wrong forum! Thanks dannygr27 and all for your advice. I have today written to the Public Carriage Office, so hopefully they will investigate. Will keep you posted.

Yasmin

It is theft. It is not a grey area. The police will automatically try and defer you to anyone else to try and defer the stat from them.

Insist you see a senior ploice officer. Wait if you have to. Insist he has someone investigate your report.

It is not rocket science for them, send a bobby round, he admits what he has done and he is arrested. Prosecuted and a compensation order made to your son for the replacement of the coat.

Irrelevant that he binned it. Like if you burgal someones house and get disturbed and only nick someones false teeth and then you bin them. You have still commited a crime

It bloody makes my blood boil

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

yep, I know what you're saying. I was really annoyed. She just told me that was the position, and they have hundreds of alleged crimes to investigate everyday! There was no use arguing because it had been clarified that it was a civil matter. I insisted and she referred it again, but still came back with, there is nothing we can do.

Think by the way the driver told me ,'go to the police', he has possibly been down this road before, and knows they will not follow it through.

I would call the police on their non emergency number and state 'I would like to report a theft' that way you will get through to the control room and bypass the civillian on the police station front desk. Also ask for the refernce/log number for your call.

(This is Based on GMP - Maybe different in London)