• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

help, response from first direct, confused!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I sent the 1st letter off requesting all my charges from first direct along with the £10 fee, ive recieved a letter back with my £10 sent back to me! saying along the lines that they are unale to proceed with my request as they do not have my signature on file!! im told that i now have to call them to verify my account!! the letter goes on to say that all the info is contained in my account statements, the bank only retains info for the last 6 yrs etc. The letter then goes on to say that all info will be provided free of charge and will be sent to me via a courier, my signature will be needed to ackowledge reciept.

My query is, that it is now past the 40 days since i 1st requested my charges. What or where do i go now, do i ring them to request this or do i go straight to the non complience letter after 40 days bearing in mind they have returned my £10 fee???

Many thx in advance to anyone who can help with this :)

Steve

Hi,

I sent the 1st letter off requesting all my charges from first direct along with the £10 fee, ive recieved a letter back with my £10 sent back to me! saying along the lines that they are unale to proceed with my request as they do not have my signature on file!! im told that i now have to call them to verify my account!! the letter goes on to say that all the info is contained in my account statements, the bank only retains info for the last 6 yrs etc. The letter then goes on to say that all info will be provided free of charge and will be sent to me via a courier, my signature will be needed to ackowledge reciept.

My query is, that it is now past the 40 days since i 1st requested my charges. What or where do i go now, do i ring them to request this or do i go straight to the non complience letter after 40 days bearing in mind they have returned my £10 fee???

Many thx in advance to anyone who can help with this :-)

Steve

Guest Niklowe

I would send them a letter giving them seven days to send you the list of transactions

Look in here and adapt one to suit.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Also inform the information commisioners office.

The banks are absolutely snowed under with claims at the moment, but I expect you will get the list of charges very quickly after you send the letter

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and remind them of their obligations under the data protection act. If that doesn't get a response then go for a non compliance letter. Also worth pointing out to them that their loss of your signature from their files could be seen as a breach of the data protection legislation to keep your data secure. You could ask them to investigate this matter!!!

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

Hi,

Many thx in advance to anyone who can help with this :-)

Steve

Just ring them, they will verify you that way. Just ask for a copy of charges to be sent and they will do it free of charge. No need to put in writing!

Guest Battleaxe
Just ring them, they will verify you that way. Just ask for a copy of charges to be sent and they will do it free of charge. No need to put in writing!

It is VERY important that everything is in writing. never speak to them on the phone. We all have learnt from experience that they say one thing and then deny it.

You send the non-complaince letter and then if they ignore that you notify the Information Commissioners Office and file for non-compliance through the courts.

You need more than the charges, you need all the documentation they hold on you.

SJ & CJ

Ditto what Battleaxe says. Get everything in writing. They will be able to send your notes (notes on manual intervention, telephone calls). I got mine from FD so it's not difficult for them. Good luck

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

ive finally got a list of my charges back from FD totalling around 2,800 ive read the bank templates 1st letter asking for monies to be paid back to once i have a total, it says in this template that ive too include back dated interest. I was under the impression that i was not to include the interest on the 1st time of asking. Which is the case include inierest or not??? please help.

Thanks in advance of any advice :-)

Steve :-)

Hi all,

ive finally got my total charges from First Direct totalling around £2.900 ive looked at the templates for writing the next steps and the wording in the 1st premlinary letter asks the back dated interest as well. I thought we couldnt or shouldnt ask for this untill a later date if it drags out. So whats the correct procedure to add the interest at the start or not??

many thanks for any help with this

Don't worry this is a common cause of confusion :) There are two types of interest Overdraft interest and Statutory interest.

Overdraft interest is interest that the bank have charged you on the portion of the overdraft (or loan) that is charges i.e. they charge you £30, this gets added to your balance and then they charge you interest on it.

Statutory interest is interest the county court add on as a form of recompense for not having your money for X months/years this is the interest you don't add on during the preliminary stages.

pete

Hi pete :-)

thanks for your reply :-) but i think having a very bad thick moment ere about this LOL!! So to clarify, im about to draft my 1st letter requesting my charges of approx £2,900 back and i also include an added amount of what the loss of interest would have been on this amount of money, had it stayed in my account using the spreadsheets provided? what the courts add on (if it goes that far) is kinda componsation amount, but in short i ask for my intial amount plus the loss of interest at this early stage?..

sorry for asking what maybe daft Q's but just want to get this rite :-)

Steve:-)

Hello Steve

Do you know what the % is on your unauthorised borrowing?. You add this figure to each charge, as it is what they have charged you. The 8% is only added at the court stage, if you are not claiming the unauthorised rate. It's one or the other, you can't claim both.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi again,

thanks for the help :-) i dont know what the % was on my charges so i assume i just ask for the total amount of charges back at this stage (being my 1st request) on the template letter it says that im to include a schedule of charges i assume this is the same as the excel speadsheet used to work out the backdated interest but just blank out the amounts of monies in the final cloumn?

thanks again in advance for any help ... havin a bit of a thick moment i reckon LOL just want to get this right :-)

Hello Steve

Do you know what the % is on your unauthorised borrowing?. You add this figure to each charge, as it is what they have charged you. The 8% is only added at the court stage, if you are not claiming the unauthorised rate. It's one or the other, you can't claim both.

Hi again,

thanks for the help :-) i dont know what the % was on my charges so i assume i just ask for the total amount of charges back at this stage (being my 1st request) on the template letter it says that im to include a schedule of charges i assume this is the same as the excel speadsheet used to work out the backdated interest but just blank out the amounts of monies in the final cloumn?

thanks again in advance for any help ... havin a bit of a thick moment i reckon LOL just want to get this right :-)

Hi Steve.

What UK is saying is that if you are adding interest at unathorised rate, you have to add it from the start.

If you dont know what it is/was, its not a good idea to guess.

Therefore, go for stat 8% which you only add on when filing at court.

Good Luck.

P.S. I have a continual thick moment. It scalled life.:lol:

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

hi again,

right got it !! :-) one other query then i done and up and running i hope!! LOL it says on the template that i am including a schedule of charges is this simply a list of all the dates and amounts and charges filled out on one the example spreadsheets provided on the template page?

many thanks again for all of the help on ere :-)

hi again,

right got it !! :-) one other query then i done and up and running i hope!! LOL it says on the template that i am including a schedule of charges is this simply a list of all the dates and amounts and charges filled out on one the example spreadsheets provided on the template page?

many thanks again for all of the help on ere :-)

Steve.

If you get an extra 5 minutes when doing your SOC (schedule of charges)

include the reason for the charge.

I have not read a defence yet where the banks dont try to use this as a delaying tactic.

EG>Instead of

11/04/2007 £ 30

Try

Unpaid direct debit 11/04/2007 £ 30

Or whatever the charge was for.

Keep us posted.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.