• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CAP1 Summary Cause

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, any experts out there like to check out my SC form against CAP1 and let me know anychanges that need to be made before I go to court tomorrow, thanks.

The Claimant, Mr. XXXX, holds a credit card account with the Defender since on or around February 2002 the account number being XXXXXX. The Defender deducted from the account various amounts of money in penalty charges during the period 15/07/2002 to 27/02/2007. These were in respect of Late Payment Fees and Overlimit Fees.The Claimant contends that these charges were legally unenforceable and the Claimant is demanding the repayment of this money without condition.The Defender has refused full payment of these monies due, copies of correspondence can be provided.

No admissions are made by the Claimant as to the incorporation of any term into the contract between the Claimant and the Defender purporting to entitle the Defender to levy these charges. If the Defender is able to

establish that the contract did contain such terms, the Claimant will contend that these charges are unenforceable at law, being penalty charges designed to penalise the Claimant for a breach of contract and generate profit for the Defender rather than being liquidated damages designed to compensate the Defender for the actual loss occurring to the Defender as a result of the breach.

The Claimant claims from the Defender a sum equivalent to the amount unlawfully debited from the Claimants account from 15/07/2002 to 27/02/2007 (£994) along with 8% interest (£187.93) on that sum for being deprived of the use of these monies and also the costs of bringing this action(£39 court fees plus £15.97 Sheriff Officers fee). The sums are detailed in the attached schedule.

BOS Prelim : 19/06/06 Owed : £382: offered £90.LBA sent 02/07/06, Delivered: 04/07/06. Offer increased to full £382 but with condition. Settled 4/11/06.

Data Protection Act sent to BOS CC : 19/06/06. Acknowledged : 03/07/06 Statements Received : 11/07/06 owed £845

Statements received for closed BOS account: 27/07/06, Owed £2596.52

First claim on closed BOS account now started - £735 Prelim received 7/11/06 LBA sent 5/12/06, Offered Full £735 but with conditions. Claim filed 22/01/07

CapitalOne-£1247, settled in full.

LloydsTSB- £910, sttled in full.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi wsm36,

I also did 4 summary clauses and on the front of the form 1b section 4 I put:-

The pursuer claims from the defender the sum of xxxx with interest on that sum at the rate of xxx annually from the date of service for each charge.(together with the expenses of bringing the action) For my credit card I put down the contractual rate i.e. 22.53% and I won my case and I received the 22.53%. If you are taking the banks to court you can only charge the judical rate of 8%. I also got a great copy of what to put on my form from Govanlc.site. From reading your copy you seem to have found the same site. I certainly would not put on my form all my figures because you do not need to do so, because you have already put down your intentions on the front page.

Eileen

Little advice please, Summary Cause form, do you fill out page 7, Furthcoming Actions Only or leave it blank?

BOS Prelim : 19/06/06 Owed : £382: offered £90.LBA sent 02/07/06, Delivered: 04/07/06. Offer increased to full £382 but with condition. Settled 4/11/06.

Data Protection Act sent to BOS CC : 19/06/06. Acknowledged : 03/07/06 Statements Received : 11/07/06 owed £845

First claim on closed BOS account now started - £735 Prelim received 7/11/06 LBA sent 5/12/06, Offered Full £735 but with conditions. Claim filed 22/01/07

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hi,

Yes you need to fill out 7. Details of Claim(I think thats the one your talking about) Have a look in Scottish Procedure above your thread, scroll down and you will see 7. At the bottom put Sum Claimed including interest.Then add plus expenses of bringing the action.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Yes you need to fill out 7. Details of Claim(I think thats the one your talking about) Have a look in Scottish Procedure above your thread, scroll down and you will see 7. At the bottom put Sum Claimed including interest.Then add plus expenses of bringing the action.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks Scott, everything else is filled out but on the form 1b section 7 it says "Statement of Claim Particulars of Arrestment (furthcoming actions only) so got a little confused with that one.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hi, again.

In 7. Details of Claim. You put what you have shown in your first post.

After the line...The sums are detailed in the attached schedule. I put,

The contractual provision that permits the defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations(1999), the Unfair Contract Term Act (1977) and the common law.

I also added Edinburgh Sheriff Court has jurisdiction as the monies are due to be paid to the persuer in Edinburgh.

Cap 1 paid me in full two weeks after they received the summons.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi, again.

In 7. Details of Claim. You put what you have shown in your first post.

After the line...The sums are detailed in the attached schedule. I put,

The contractual provision that permits the defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations(1999), the Unfair Contract Term Act (1977) and the common law.

I also added Edinburgh Sheriff Court has jurisdiction as the monies are due to be paid to the persuer in Edinburgh.

Cap 1 paid me in full two weeks after they received the summons.

Regards.

Scott.

Thanks again Scott, with regards to "The contractual provision etc." that's already on the form I just hadn't put it in my post sorry. I will be doing this through Lanark Sheriff Court so they would have jurisdiction, right? as they dont actually have a "branch".

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hope so, just put what I did and bob's your uncle !

Best wishes.

Scott.

Hope so, just put what I did and bob's your uncle !

Best wishes.

Scott.

Cheers mate.:)

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

The amount isn't £994 it's up to £1018, two more charges have been applied to the account so I have to do the form over again now anyway.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hi wsm,

If you go to Govanlc site it tells you exactly what to put in box 7. I was totally flumoxed on what to put into that box as I am not very good with writing out these claims.

I printed off the copy on Govan's website and put in all my own details and I have done 4 S.C. with this and all of them got accepted at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

I hope this helps you.

Eileen.

Thanks Eileen for the help and you too Scott you've been a big help.

William.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Ok here is the amended form

The Claimant, Mr. xxx, holds a credit card account with the Defender since on or around February 2002 the account number being xxxxxxxx. The Defender deducted from the account various amounts of money in penalty charges during the period 15/07/2002 to 27/02/2007. These were in respect of Late Payment Fees and Overlimit Fees.

The Claimant contends that these charges were legally unenforceable and the Claimant is demanding the repayment of this money without condition.The Defender has refused full payment of these monies due, copies of correspondence can be provided.

No admissions are made by the Claimant as to the incorporation of any term into the contract between the Claimant and the Defender purporting to entitle the Defender to levy these charges. If the Defender is able to

establish that the contract did contain such terms, the Claimant will contend that these charges are unenforceable at law, being penalty charges designed to penalise the Claimant for a breach of contract and generate profit for the Defender rather than being liquidated damages designed to compensate the Defender for the actual loss occurring to the Defender as a result of the breach.

The Claimant claims from the Defender a sum equivalent to the amount unlawfully debited from the Claimants account from 15/07/2002 to 27/02/2007 (along with 8% interest (£188.89) on that sum for being deprived of the use of these monies and also the costs of bringing this action. The sums are detailed in the attached schedule.

The contractual provision that permits the Defender to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1997 and the Common Law. Lanark Sheriff Court shall have jurisdiction as monies are due to be paid to the pursuer in Carluke.

What do you think?

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hi wsm,

I have read through your amendment and I still can't understand why you are only going for the 8%. With my credit card I went for my contractual interest of 22.53% and I won. The banks and credit card companies will not go to court to contest your case and if they did you could argue that was the rate they charged you. If you can justify the rate i.e. not make one up I don't see the problem.

I still would not put the interest amount on the page as you have already said that you are claiming for your amount plus interest plus costs.

If you haven't already submitted your claim at court I would change section 4 and claim for your contractual rate of interest.

I just got the contractual interest rate on my statement.

Eileen

Hi you guys. Iguess you all like typing. I do not and try to keep things simple:) When it comes to page 7 I put The pursuer ( At one court I was at the judge did not like the word claiment so I always use pursuer) has had a credit card ( or bank account) with whoever for a number of years. During this time there have been a number of high charges because of late payments and over limit etc. I have tried to have these charges refunded to no avail. Therefore this action is necessary. This is a consumer contract therefore ___sheriff court has jurisdiction.

See seperate sheet ( this is for my spreadsheet showing the charges etc.)

In my previous letter to the bank or credit card co I mention about the what the charges are etc etc I you weant a copy just let me know. The above has always done the necessary for me with not too much typing as I make too many mistakes typing:)

Hi wsm,

I have read through your amendment and I still can't understand why you are only going for the 8%. With my credit card I went for my contractual interest of 22.53% and I won. The banks and credit card companies will not go to court to contest your case and if they did you could argue that was the rate they charged you. If you can justify the rate i.e. not make one up I don't see the problem.

I still would not put the interest amount on the page as you have already said that you are claiming for your amount plus interest plus costs.

If you haven't already submitted your claim at court I would change section 4 and claim for your contractual rate of interest.

I just got the contractual interest rate on my statement.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen, I thought you claimed the contractual int. right from the start, and anyway I'm a bit dumb that way.

William

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

When it comes to working things out I mean, the 8% was the easiest option.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Hi William,

Unfortunately my son done the calculations for me but what I can gather the spreedsheets do it for you if you put your contractual interest in the box instead of the 8% and hey presto it is done for you. I really sound as if I know what I am talking about don't I. :p:p:p

Eileen

Ok folks going to file SC at court today, fingers crossed.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

I put this part at the bottom regarding jurisdiction, some feedback please before I toddle off to court later this morning would be great:D ,

"This is a consumer contract and therefore XXXXX Sheriff Court has juridiction."

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

that is correct about jurisdiction

Thanks texel

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

I would mention that the bank you are claining from has a branch in xxxx (place your claiming from) and thats why it falls under their jurisdiction :D

Actually according to Perth Sheriff Court all you need to say is that"this is a consumer contract therefore ____court has jurisdiction" ( saves a bit of typing):)

I would mention that the bank you are claining from has a branch in xxxx (place your claiming from) and thats why it falls under their jurisdiction :D

Actually Jaybabes this is against Capital One who don't have branches locally so that statement doesn't really apply to this.

Update, couldn't file my claim today, forgot about a direct debit coming off tomorrow, just have to wait until Friday.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE