MBNA/Link

Pandora_nini

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, this is my first post here.... have spent ages reading through, and noticed that others have had issues with MBNA and Link. I have struggled with MBNA for the last two years, trying to reach some kind of agreement with them, and not really getting anywhere. Finally agreed (ie I agreed to a repayment plan that I could afford), and then they promptly sold the debt to Link without any notice to me. More than half of my debt arises from unfair penalty charges and interest on those charges, and I want to challenge MBNA and claim these back. Link, however are calling me wanting me to pay the whole debt off, and are being quite nasty with it. Can anyone give me any advice on this:

- should I agree a monthly repayment plan with Link whilst I tackle MBNA

- are there any rules or regulations that Link need to stick to that I can quote back at them

- can I insist that I only deal with them in writing

- I don't want to be pushed into a situation with Link that is unfair or prejudices my claim with MBNA

- feeling very stressed about the whole situation, and am being bullied by them, so if anyone can give me any advice/support on how to handle this situation? I'd be very grateful.

Sorry it's so long for my first post.

So glad to have found somewhere to find real and useful information.

Thanks

• Haha 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pandora.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Always remember, that you're never alone on this site.

To get the best help and advice on your problems, you would be better posting in the General Debt forum.

Click on the following link......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/

Good luck.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi pandora nini, i would suggest sending link a CCA request saying THE ACCOUNT IS IN DISPUTE and you are in the process of sorting it out with MBNA.

Send MBNA a SAR this will let you see what charges have been added to that account and check your credit file for any adverse information in regards to this as there may be a case to have it removed, Start a thread in the debt forum as ROO suggests.

Hope this helps

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hello, this is my first post here.... have spent ages reading through, and noticed that others have had issues with MBNA and Link. I have struggled with MBNA for the last two years, trying to reach some kind of agreement with them, and not really getting anywhere. Finally agreed (ie I agreed to a repayment plan that I could afford), and then they promptly sold the debt to Link without any notice to me. More than half of my debt arises from unfair penalty charges and interest on those charges, and I want to challenge MBNA and claim these back. Link, however are calling me wanting me to pay the whole debt off, and are being quite nasty with it. Can anyone give me any advice on this:

- should I agree a monthly repayment plan with Link whilst I tackle MBNA

- are there any rules or regulations that Link need to stick to that I can quote back at them

- can I insist that I only deal with them in writing

- I don't want to be pushed into a situation with Link that is unfair or prejudices my claim with MBNA

- feeling very stressed about the whole situation, and am being bullied by them, so if anyone can give me any advice/support on how to handle this situation? I'd be very grateful.

Sorry it's so long for my first post.

So glad to have found somewhere to find real and useful information.

Thanks

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Could I firstly say, with absolutely no disrespect to Rooster, I personally think you are better sticking here (although another thread somewhere else can never hurt), it's just that your story is identical to all of ours so we can offer a lot of advice here!

The very same happened to me, agreed a plan, promptly sold, you might like to have a read through my (very long but at times entertaining!) thread MBNA Nightmare! which can be seen a few threads down.

I would do the following :

Issue an Subject Access Request to both MBNA and Link but be sure to include ID with your requests or they will use it as an excuse to delay. This will provide you with all the information you require on your account and be sure to ask for a copy of the Deed of Assignment and a true copy of the Default notice as they are slap happy about issuing these giving you zero chance to rectify the situation or come to an agreement.

Secondly, I would issue a CCA 1974 letter to Link. You will find this letter in the templates library (it is Letter N). You need to include a payment of £1.00. The purpose of this is to immediately place the account in dispute and to ask them to provide you with a true copy of the executed agreement. This is a rather complicated issue but the jist of it is that if they cannot provide you with this, they will have trouble enforcing the debt. You have to allow them 12 + 30 days to comply with this request, after this, the ball is in your court. The fact remains that MBNA are VERY lax with paperwork and it will be interesting to see what they have actually provided to Link. Probably not a lot in our experience.

You must also write to link and confirm that you are unwilling to enter into any telephone conversations with them and you insist that everything is kept in writing. There is also a telephone harassment letter in the templates if they persist. When they ring, put the phone down or challenge them to identify themselves. You don't have to speak to these people so don't give them the chance, you are in control! Last resort, get a big old whistle and blow it down the phone when they ring. Please do make sure it is them first!

Once MBNA complies with your SAR, then you can add up your charges and we can all help you with that if there are any problems. Refund of these will no doubt significantly reduce the debt. Bear in mind that any refund will be passed to Link.

Now, my advice is to get these things underway and then we can take it from there.

No doubt a lot of my learned friends will jump on with more suggestions or to say that mine are fine for now.

My last piece of advice is to go to bed, have a proper sleep, stop worrying about these muppets and the fact you have posted here means you have taken control and you are in the driving seat. I promise you will get loads of support from all of us.

Any questions, just ask, but please don't stress about it and I can't stress this enough and if you read my thread you will see what a difference this makes!

Anyway, keep us posted on everything and onwards and upwards we go!

Regards,

Corn x:)

• Haha 2

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hello, am sending Link the CCA letter on Saturday (no blooming post tomorrow!). Do I need to send an SAR letter - I have copies of all my statements, so can calculate the unfair charges myself from these - or do I need it for any other reason? Also, if the debt has been assigned to Link has it been automatically defaulted? I was thinking about sending MBNA a CCA letter as well, is that right? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for your help.

Help someone, please can I have some urgent advice from you - Link Financial are hassling me at work - but not regarding me, regarding my partner, I have refused to discuss anything other than my issues with them, and have advised them to call me at home tonight - I can't deal with this at work, too busy, and too stressed here. The idiot keeps just asking me the same question, in a very nasty way, does XXXX live there, is he a home owner, etc, etc, and will not give up - I got so annoyed just now, I hung up. Surely it is none of my busines, and they don't have the right to ask me about anyone. Can I have some advice asap from everyone? It's really nasty, and I am feeling very upset. Thanks

Help someone, please can I have some urgent advice from you - Link Financial are hassling me at work - but not regarding me, regarding my partner, I have refused to discuss anything other than my issues with them, and have advised them to call me at home tonight - I can't deal with this at work, too busy, and too stressed here. The idiot keeps just asking me the same question, in a very nasty way, does XXXX live there, is he a home owner, etc, etc, and will not give up - I got so annoyed just now, I hung up. Surely it is none of my busines, and they don't have the right to ask me about anyone. Can I have some advice asap from everyone? It's really nasty, and I am feeling very upset. Thanks

Hello Pandora, they really are bloody idiots. They have no right to discuss anything about your Partner on the phone to you. That is a breach of the Data Protection Act. Tell them that. I would just put the phone down or tell them you are calling the Police. Or tell them you don't know who they are talking about. Just keep saying "who"? I personally wouldn't enter into any sort of conversation with them at all. You must write the telephone harassment letter and make it absolutely clear they are not to call you at work (or at home for that matter). You really need to keep everything in writing. Regarding your home number, would it be impossible to change it or to do call blocking?

Regarding your previous question (which I missed for some reason), if you don't need to SAR because you have all the letters, save yourself the £10.00 but do issue CCA's to both MBNA and Link to be absolutely sure.

Don't worry, this can be sorted out.....

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Thanks Cornucopia, I appreciate the support. I will be sending the CCA's off tomorrow via recorded delivery as well as an harrassment letter.

I need a big glass of wine!

Just a quick question - if I do speak to them about my financial situation, do you think I should offer the same amount that I originally agreed to with MBNA, or should I pay this to MBNA? I just know they are going to hassle me tomorrow, before I can get the telephone harrassment letter in the post. Not sure what the right course of action is - fully accept that I need to pay my actual debt off, but not the excess charges, etc, and don't want to make the wrong decision in terms of who to pay (sorry am suffering from brain failure with the stress of it all).

Thanks once again.

Thanks Cornucopia, I appreciate the support. I will be sending the CCA's off tomorrow via recorded delivery as well as an harrassment letter.

I need a big glass of wine!

Just a quick question - if I do speak to them about my financial situation, do you think I should offer the same amount that I originally agreed to with MBNA, or should I pay this to MBNA? I just know they are going to hassle me tomorrow, before I can get the telephone harrassment letter in the post. Not sure what the right course of action is - fully accept that I need to pay my actual debt off, but not the excess charges, etc, and don't want to make the wrong decision in terms of who to pay (sorry am suffering from brain failure with the stress of it all).

Thanks once again.

Pandora! You poor girl! Get that glass or wine and have a breather.....

I wouldn't speak to them at all, really I wouldn't, keep absolutely everything in writing end of. Continue with your claim against MBNA, how much are we talking here? Remember that you can claim contractual interest too. How much will the refund reduce the debt? Remember too that once you issue the CCA to Link, they can't harass you full stop, they can do nothing until you have been provided with a true copy of the executed agreement.

If this all gets too much, I suggest you contact somebody like the Consumer Credit Counselling Service or Payplan, they can take the whole thing over for you and deal with the idiots direct.

Remember that if Link and MBNA cannot comply with the CCA request, they will have problems enforcing the debt anyway. How long have you had the card?

Sorry for all the random questions, just trying to build up a picture!!

Regards,

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hello Cornucopia - thanks for your reply, I just sent you a message as well regarding incorrect account details (!!), hope you don't mind. Am requesting the other half gets in several cases of wine to help me resolve this headache. (Mind you my baby might not be keen!)

I have had the card around 5 years, and I think (haven't managed to pull out all statements) that it is around £2000 plus in excess charges, excluding any interest. I was just reading through all my correspondence to MBNA regarding this and they just have never helped/answered/resolved anything - it makes me sick!

I really appreciate your advice, thanks

:)

Hello Cornucopia - thanks for your reply, I just sent you a message as well regarding incorrect account details (!!), hope you don't mind. Am requesting the other half gets in several cases of wine to help me resolve this headache. (Mind you my baby might not be keen!)

I have had the card around 5 years, and I think (haven't managed to pull out all statements) that it is around £2000 plus in excess charges, excluding any interest. I was just reading through all my correspondence to MBNA regarding this and they just have never helped/answered/resolved anything - it makes me sick!

I really appreciate your advice, thanks

Have PM'd you back.:)

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi, does anyone know of Link Financial's physical address, I have a PO Box for them, which is no good given that I need to send the CCA and Harrassment letter to them recorded delivery?

Tried phoning them to get it today and they would only give me their PO Box address.

Thanks

Hi, does anyone know of Link Financial's physical address, I have a PO Box for them, which is no good given that I need to send the CCA and Harrassment letter to them recorded delivery?

Tried phoning them to get it today and they would only give me their PO Box address.

Thanks

Hello P!

A PO Box is fine for recorded/special. Goldfish's for example is a PO and I have never had problems sending recorded to them.

Post away..........!!!:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I sent my prelim and LBA to mbna's po box by recorded delivery with no problems.

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue]Barclays bank[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]- £1260.00[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][B]Settled for £1774.20 - [COLOR=#ff00ff]7th June 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][U][COLOR=red]MBNA - £1994.46 - [/COLOR][COLOR=red]inc contractual int[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][B]Settled for £2024.00 - [COLOR=magenta]16th April 2007[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=indigo][B]First Direct - £1147.00[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=#4b0082][COLOR=indigo]Settled for £1147.00 -[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff00ff]1st May [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]2007[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green][B][U]Capital One - £802.83 - inc contractual int[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=#008000]Prelim sent - [COLOR=#ff00ff]28th March 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I] [I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]LBA sent - [COLOR=magenta]19th April 2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

Hello... posted CCAs to Link and MBNA yesterday, and SAR to MBNA today, so will see what happens.

Spoke to Link yesterday, need to make a payment either to them or MBNA to show that I am actually willing to try to resolve the outstanding debt that I actually owe. First question out of this idiots mouth was "does xxxx live there or not" and kept repeating it. I advised that I was only prepared to discuss my account and my details, and if he persisted in questioning me in such a hostile and aggressive manner about someone else then I would hang up, he promptly repeated his question, so I hung up. However, he did say to me (in a particularly nasty way) that they had dealt with me, would be hearing from their legal team as I had made no effort to contact them - no reply to my letter from them then, and would be placing a charge over my home (which is in my sole name)

Can anyone give me any advise on this? Part of me wants to write to them to explain that I have been more than willing to discuss my case with them but have been subjected to abusive treatment, and have written to them, with no response, at least so if it did go to court I could prove that I did try to resolve, or should I shut up and let them get on with it? Not sure what to do.

Totally enjoyed hanging up on them, hope they phone again, just so I can practice!

I have started another thread, regarding Link on a different matter, and would appreciate it if any of you have time to read it and advise on it?

Thanks

Hello... posted CCAs to Link and MBNA yesterday, and SAR to MBNA today, so will see what happens.

Spoke to Link yesterday, need to make a payment either to them or MBNA to show that I am actually willing to try to resolve the outstanding debt that I actually owe. First question out of this idiots mouth was "does xxxx live there or not" and kept repeating it. I advised that I was only prepared to discuss my account and my details, and if he persisted in questioning me in such a hostile and aggressive manner about someone else then I would hang up, he promptly repeated his question, so I hung up. However, he did say to me (in a particularly nasty way) that they had dealt with me, would be hearing from their legal team as I had made no effort to contact them - no reply to my letter from them then, and would be placing a charge over my home (which is in my sole name)

Can anyone give me any advise on this? Part of me wants to write to them to explain that I have been more than willing to discuss my case with them but have been subjected to abusive treatment, and have written to them, with no response, at least so if it did go to court I could prove that I did try to resolve, or should I shut up and let them get on with it? Not sure what to do.

Totally enjoyed hanging up on them, hope they phone again, just so I can practice!

I have started another thread, regarding Link on a different matter, and would appreciate it if any of you have time to read it and advise on it?

Thanks

Pandora, as I said to you, debt not in your name, no charging order, end of, whatever they say. Ignore, ignore, ignore and LAUGH OUT LOUD at the very suggestion. Don't write, don't call, don't do anything, you've sent your letters. Enjoy the practice and follow this link which has given us the biggest giggle in ages and has some sound advice too....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/81445-competition-best-way-get.html

You know what to do!!!

xxxxx

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi Cornucopia, I have a debt in my name which is this MBNA thing, and it's t his debt the guy mentioned would be subject to a charge over my house. The OH's debt is years old, and they couldn't touch my house for this.

Have posted a separate thread on this other issue....

Will follow the link....

Thanks

Hi Cornucopia, I have a debt in my name which is this MBNA thing, and it's t his debt the guy mentioned would be subject to a charge over my house. The OH's debt is years old, and they couldn't touch my house for this.

Will follow the link....

Thanks

They CANNOT put a charge on your house for somebody else's debt, lets make that clear, no matter if you are together or not and if the debt is out of the statute of limitations well they are..........I want to swear but I won' t because I am a lovely, well mannered mother of one!!;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Will follow the link....

Thanks

Just read your post again and gave you completely duff advice!!! I am sorry I thought you said they were after YOU for a debt your partner had. You have issued your SAR and your CCA, the worse they can do is take you to court for a charging order. You can prove the account is in dispute and is largely consisting of charges, also you don't know the result of the CCA thing yet. Any action by them can be adjourned on the basis that you are not in possession of all the information. If they were to secure a charging order, it would mean that you would be have to pay the debt back in full on the sale of your property (haven't we been here before with this discussion;)). Also, you can put together a decent defence, you would obviously have to appear, so don't ignore or assume with any court related papers that arrive. It is not necessarily so that the Judge would grant a charging order given that so much of the debt consists of charges and CI. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it, see what they provide first. Lack of CCA means oh dear me so let's see...........xx

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Pandora nini

MBNA are a waste of space, dont worry about them. I have just hacked them off big time with an offer of £1.00 naturally a letter of refusal arrived today. Now the fun starts... will keep you posted.

Cashin

Just read your post again and gave you completely duff advice!!! I am sorry I thought you said they were after YOU for a debt your partner had. You have issued your SAR and your CCA, the worse they can do is take you to court for a charging order. You can prove the account is in dispute and is largely consisting of charges, also you don't know the result of the CCA thing yet. Any action by them can be adjourned on the basis that you are not in possession of all the information. If they were to secure a charging order, it would mean that you would be have to pay the debt back in full on the sale of your property (haven't we been here before with this discussion;)). Also, you can put together a decent defence, you would obviously have to appear, so don't ignore or assume with any court related papers that arrive. It is not necessarily so that the Judge would grant a charging order given that so much of the debt consists of charges and CI. Lets cross that bridge when we come to it, see what they provide first. Lack of CCA means oh dear me so let's see...........xx

Thanks Corn... just read up on the HMRC site about charging orders - it's scary - I really don't want that. I haven't made any payments to MBNA since the agreement at the end of January - I asked them to confirm standing order details to me to enable me to make payments - perhaps I should have sent them a cheque?? Should I send them a cheque with a letter stating that this is as per our agreement? Aaaarghh, how did I get into this mess?

Anyway, am off to bed.... thanks for replying.

Speak soon

x

Thanks Corn... just read up on the HMRC site about charging orders - it's scary - I really don't want that. I haven't made any payments to MBNA since the agreement at the end of January - I asked them to confirm standing order details to me to enable me to make payments - perhaps I should have sent them a cheque?? Should I send them a cheque with a letter stating that this is as per our agreement? Aaaarghh, how did I get into this mess?

Anyway, am off to bed.... thanks for replying.

Speak soon

x

Don't worry about what you haven't got to deal with at the moment.

You could write MBNA a letter stating the facts, ie : you made an agreement and they reneged on it. You asked them for SO details, they didn't provide. They didn't default you in the correct and lawful manner therefore subsequent actions are illegal. Send them nothing. Wait and see what happens with your SAR and CCA. They have screwed this not you. Make sure all your paperwork shows you have made every effort to resolve this and they have been the sticking point. This will reflect on you in Court. Anything like this is a way off yet, if at all. Please don't panic and you got into this mess like everybody else.....circumstance.

Now, where was that lovely positive Pandora that I heard from last night? Get her back will you?!!

Sweet dreams!

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hello all,

Sent MBNA a CCA request which was delivered from the Royal Mail office on 12/4/07, but no POD signature, does this matter - am assuming not.

Also sent Link a CCA request, arrived 12/4/07, signed for, and have the signed POD, they sent me a letter, dated 12/4/07 saying I had made no attempt to contact them to resolve the matter - what rubbish - told them I would be happy to speak to them, and when they did bother to phone me at the alloted time, they then started being agressive and abusive, wanting to know about someone else who may or may not live at my address, and had no interest in discussing my case. Have threatened taking legal action with a view to a charge on my property. They also have not acknowledged my letter which was sent the same day they first wrote to me to tell me that they were the joyous owners of my alleged debt to MBNA!

Should I write a sternly worded letter to them saying I had been more than happy to discuss and come to a mutual agreement on this - had requested in my very first letter to them that all correspondence on this had to be in writing. What should I do - any ideas?

Corn, if you read this and you don't mind, if I do write to Link re the above, can I run the letter past you first?

Thanks everyone

x