Jump to content

council tax band unfairly priced in 1991

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

i did a bit of research and discovered that most of the houses of the same size in my street where over banded in 1991, they are all the same band for the same size and type but were priced 3,000 under the current band group when first banded in 1991.

Should I write a letter of unfair banding to the local council, with the prices and reasons for my claims?

does anyone know much about this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

no there are many instances when you can challenge the council tax banding:


1. If part of your property has been demolished (for example a garage or an extension). But if the demolition is the first stage of works to create a new extension, then the valuation band cannot be altered.


2. If your property has been adapted to make it suitable for use by a physically disabled person.


3. If there have been physical changes in your area which could affect the value of your property.


4. If your property has been converted into flats.


5. If you have bought a property, or been granted a lease on a property for seven years or more, and the property's value has been increased because it was extended by the previous occupier.


6. If your property becomes, or ceases to be, a "composite" property. A composite property is one which contains both domestic and non-domestic property, such as a shop or public house with living accommodation.


7. If there is an increase or decrease in the extent of that part of a composite property used for domestic purposes (for example, a domestic living room is converted for use as an extension to the bar area in a public house).


8. If you have received a notice from the Listing Officer advising you that he/she has altered the entry for your property in the Council Tax Valuation List, you have six months to make a proposal if you do not agree with the change.


9. If the Valuation Tribunal or High Court has made a decision relevant to your property, you may make a proposal, within six months of the date of that decision, to claim that the Listing Officer has not reflected that decision in the valuation band of your property.


10. If you become a new Council Taxpayer for a dwelling, you have a period of six months within which to challenge the valuation band of your property. You may do this as long as the Valuation Tribunal or High Court has not previously considered a challenge by a previous occupier on the same facts.


11. If you are a landlord, who is not the Council Taxpayer, and the tenancy of your property is for less than six months, you can also challenge the valuation band of the property in cases 1 - 10 above.


12. You can also make a proposal to enter your property in the valuation list if it is not shown; for example a newly built dwelling or a conversion.


13. You can also make a proposal to delete a property from the valuation list if it no longer exists or if you think it should no longer be liable for Council Tax.

(from here)


If you don't fall into one of the above scenarios, then you can still challenge your band - The Listings Office has a duty to ensure all bands are correct, so it should investigate your representations and alter the Valuation List if it believes it's required. (see here)


To do this simply write a letter stating, "I believe the council tax banding list is incorrect, as my house is in the wrong band, and I ask that it is corrected."


A full guide to the process can be found here





Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...