Watchdog tonight - "I'll send in the bailiffs"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Anyone see tonights watchdog with some company trying to claim money and the phone recording of him threatening to "send the bailiffs round" before moving on to what sounded like direct physical threats.

What a nasty piece of work....

I was disappointed that the programme didn't reassure people and make things clear to viewers saying something like.

"By the way, they can't simply 'send in the bailiffs' anyway. They have to go to County Court first... etc. etc.."

I phoned in to a late night radio programme a while back which was having a 'debt' hour. One older lady had rung up really distressed about a DCA letter she had received and was petrified that bailiffs were coming round to 'beat her door down'. Her debt was between £500-600. The 'expert' (from a very well known website) didn't reassure her about the difference between DCAs and bailiffs. He then went on to recommend she declared herself bankrupt! I was so incensed I called in to the show, got on and put the point across about bailiffs. As soon as I went on to question his advice regarding the bankruptcy, I was cut off! It was so infuriating to hear him giving out incorrect or unsound advice about claiming back charges (he said you can't claim the full amount from credit card charges; that you should include interest in your first letter; be prepared to face the banks in court) He told several people to consider bankrupcy without hearing their full stories / debts. He was using the programme as a big plug for his site. The hour got such a large number of seemingly desperate people calling in, it made me sooo mad to hear such poor advice.

:mad: :mad:

(Rant over.. and relaaaax!)

PS I would have given this site a plug if I'd stayed on that long - perhaps he knew that!! ;)

"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of something.

They know that there is a power somewhere so organised, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it."

Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States.

Change the US for the U K... do you think he meant CAG?! :wink:

I phoned in to a late night radio programme a while back which was having a 'debt' hour. One older lady had rung up really distressed about a DCA letter she had received and was petrified that bailiffs were coming round to 'beat her door down'. Her debt was between £500-600. The 'expert' (from a very well known website) didn't reassure her about the difference between DCAs and bailiffs. He then went on to recommend she declared herself bankrupt! I was so incensed I called in to the show, got on and put the point across about bailiffs. As soon as I went on to question his advice regarding the bankruptcy, I was cut off! It was so infuriating to hear him giving out incorrect or unsound advice about claiming back charges (he said you can't claim the full amount from credit card charges; that you should include interest in your first letter; be prepared to face the banks in court) He told several people to consider bankrupcy without hearing their full stories / debts. He was using the programme as a big plug for his site. The hour got such a large number of seemingly desperate people calling in, it made me sooo mad to hear such poor advice.

PS I would have given this site a plug if I'd stayed on that long - perhaps he knew that!! ;)

I think there is a kind of conspiracy not to give out full information - at present they can only really be totally effective by distorting the truth and frightening people into believeing their claims.

god MFL is doing more harm than good :mad: this is terrible. :eek:

Guest ian cognito

There was a couple of things about Watchdog last night that wound me up, that horrendous phonecall and the 'company's' actions (SHG Products if they ring you) had been reported to TS (or OFT) and it was confirmed they did not own either the contracts or the debts to St Helens Glass, so why were the receivers then allowed to sell the debts on to them???

Secondly they once again covered bank charges - or rather a NWNF company (40% fee) then again referred to the letters on their website but no mention that other support websites exist and help (even real time chat help) is available for those worried by taking on the banks??? looking after their own interests rather than the consumer perhaps???

god MFL is doing more harm than good :mad: this is terrible. :eek:

It was DW

"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of something.

They know that there is a power somewhere so organised, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it."

Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States.

Change the US for the U K... do you think he meant CAG?! :wink: