Clearing cheques via Barclays, advice needed

standingupformyself

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Hubby declared himself bankrupt last year, he was discharged within 9 months as all the problems were straight forward.

We had to open a bank account again quickly one of the options open to us was a basic account with Barclays, Opened it, absolutely fine. My gripe is though, it takes ONE DAY LONGER to clear a cheque through that account than Barclays normal current account. WHY?

Hubby is self employed, and usually gets paid by cheque, last weeks cheque was paid too late on the Friday to pay it into the bank, so we paid it in on Monday afternoon. I cannot be totally sure of the time, the bank tells me today that it must have been after 4pm, I dispute that but cannot proove it. Anyway, suffice to say my cheque was not processed until the next day (I did not realise this at the time, was parked on double yellows outside the bank whilst my daughter ran in to pay the cheque in) n In a nutshell, because of 2 bank holidays, cheque being processed the next working day, and because this particular account takes a day longer to clear cheques, the cheque that I paid in on MONDAY 3RD APRIL will not clear until THURSDAY 12TH APRIL.

If the banks are now "answerable" to their penalty charges, are they answerable to other things? such as why it takes a day longer to clear a cheque in that account.... It seems to me they pick on the vulnerable, we didnt want that basic account, we HAD to have it..

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

Guest NATTIE

Technically yes but you can access the funds through the ATM on Tuesday. On the time the bank should be able to confirm the exact time it was paid in but that does seem a bit odd.

My gripe is though, it takes ONE DAY LONGER to clear a cheque through that account than Barclays normal current account. WHY?

So that they make more profit.

They invest your money in the overnight stock markets.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Technically yes but you can access the funds through the ATM on Tuesday. On the time the bank should be able to confirm the exact time it was paid in but that does seem a bit odd.

Nattie? Why Tuesday, if the cheque is due to clear on Thursday.... Sorry to bump this thread again, but very curious !!! Thanks for all your help and advice.

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?