style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have debts from when I used to live at parents house.

All my letters still go there and I collect them usually every couple of weeks as I no longer live there.

Am staying with a partner but am not registered as living there and get no mail sent there.

Really all I am wondering is

1) Can bailiffs take my parents stuff even though I don't live there.

2) If I register myself as homeless will this stop Q1.

3) If i somehow register myself with the council as homeless, but staying somewhere will this affect my debt management plan with banks etc.

Oh do you now i think my head might explode, basiccally can someone give my a way of making sure bailiffs don't end up taking my parents stuff.

Any help appreciated.

They would need to show you dont live there, which the best thing to use is the council tax bill as it shows who lives there.

But as you have all your mail still going there,and you are not registered as living elsewhere, so i presume your name will be on their council tax bill.

Also the fact that that is the address all your crorrespondance goes to, is why they would presume you live there.

Do your parents know of your financial situation?

Someone with a bit more expertise in these matters will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Sorry to clarify a little.

recently left the armed forces, although mail goes to mums I am not on any council tax bills or registered as living at mums. Have nothing of value at mums either.

Wondered if there is a way of registering as homeless or something this may put of bailiff. (or is this too much hassle)

Am staying with girlfriend at moment but who nows how long that will last.

Guest ChloeJane

Hi Daunted,

No they cannot take things of your parents by law as it is your debt.

To stop them calling at your parents, I suggest that you get your parents to write a letter and fax a copy of the council tax bill showing you don't live there. In addition write a letter stating that they only collect the mail on your behalf and forward it on and that you left home and joined the forces and they are unsure where you are based.

Make sure the letter states that they know the law and they ask kindly that further threats of harrasment of visits once this letter is received will be taken seriously and reported to the council as harrasment.

This needs to be done quickly and as soon as possible so the Bailiff does not keep calling.

Registering as homeless will have little effect or benefit. If you are on benefits then you can pay the debt off at a much lower rate out of this.

The debt still needs to be paid so if you can add it in to others on a debt management plan or even pay the council small bits per month then this will be a good start. Even £10 a month off the debt shows intent to manage the money outstanding.

Guest Herbie

You do not say which debts you are worried about.

Ordinary DCA's have no authority to be able to enter your home and take goods. Only certificated bailiffs would be able to do this.

The debts that they can enforce will be unpaid Council Tax, Child Support arrears, unpaid Parking tickets and fines from the Magistrates Courts. Being from the armed forces, I would doubt that you have arrears with Inland Revenue.

If your debts are to banks, credit card, loans etc, you have nothing to worry about about bailiffs coming to your parents home. BUT you MUST keep in touch with them.

All creditors that we deal with are more than willing to accept nominal repayments if you are able to provide a detailed Income & Expenditure.

Cant offer any further advice unless I know which type of debt you are worried about.

They would need to show you dont live there, which the best thing to use is the council tax bill as it shows who lives there.

But as you have all your mail still going there,and you are not registered as living elsewhere, so i presume your name will be on their council tax bill.

Also the fact that that is the address all your crorrespondance goes to, is why they would presume you live there.

Do your parents know of your financial situation?

Someone with a bit more expertise in these matters will no doubt point you in the right direction.

I am not sure if all councils do list all persons who live at the address on the council tax bill. I know my local council only has the name of the person who pays the council tax bill. It does not tell you who else lives at the address. I am sure this is the same for most councils. Let me know if it is different.

My council has it in both names as we are jointly liable for the account.

Perhaps this happens where a property is jointly owned?

Surely, no one is suggesting that some Councils list every resident? What about families who have alot of relatives / older children living with them? - surely they cannot ALL be listed?

Guest ChloeJane

As joint tenants and joint liability yes it has both names.

It carries over from Poll Tax - per individual so the understanding is that those listed are those liable.

Assumed that it links back to poll tax.?

Mine has both residents on it.

I was previously a single occupant but when new partner came in, discount removed and her name added to bill.

House is not in joint names and tenancy not shared.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Mine has both residents on it.

I was previously a single occupant but when new partner came in, discount removed and her name added to bill.

House is not in joint names and tenancy not shared.

This must vary from area to area then. Others should check with neighbours and see what the principle is in their area.

C'mon people........ it's going well off topic here, lets just try to answer the questions, not get side tracked and speculate about other stuff....... he never mentioned it was anything to do with council tax.

Hi,

I have debts from when I used to live at parents house.

All my letters still go there and I collect them usually every couple of weeks as I no longer live there.

Am staying with a partner but am not registered as living there and get no mail sent there.

Really all I am wondering is

1) Can bailiffs take my parents stuff even though I don't live there.

NO, but your parents need to prove to them that you don't, otherwise they'll just keep coming and racking up the charges

2) If I register myself as homeless will this stop Q1.

NO, not until your parents prove you don't live there.

3) If i somehow register myself with the council as homeless, but staying somewhere will this affect my debt management plan with banks etc.

Someone else will be able to answer this, but I would doubt it.

Oh do you now i think my head might explode, basiccally can someone give my a way of making sure bailiffs don't end up taking my parents stuff.

See the answer to 1 & 2 above.

Any help appreciated.

I would suggest that your parents should write in the first instance to the bailiffs, telling them you don't live there and that they are not to call again, If they continue to call then they could have a claim for harassment.

In any case, as long as they NEVER let them in the house there's absolutely jack schit they can do:D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Daunted,

Can yo uconfirm what the debts are for, and if the baliffs have actually visited or threatened to visit.

If it baliffs and not an ordinary DCA, then can you give some details of the court order and what you agreed to pay.

AFAIK council tax will name as many as you register - ie if there were 4 people liable then up to 4 could be registered. The persons named on he bill are liable for the debt, not the people living there, so not everyone is registered. For example when I had an au pair living with me I had to drop my 25% single person discount, but did not have to name her on the bill, and therfore only I was liable.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.