• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

inthedark Vs Nationwide***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I thought I would add my details of my claim against the Nationwide.

I have just received my 'Notice of Issue' from Northhampton County Court (MCOL).

Claim was issued 2nd April and served on 7th April, Nationwide have until 21st April to reply.

I am claiming for £1862.50 in charges and £347.59 in interest, a total of £2210.09.

The charges relate to returned DD charges and Cheque Card Misues Fee from January 2002.

I have two months of data missing as I used my own copies of statements I have kept, Nationwide wanted to charge me £5.50 per statement.

It was not until I looked into this further I realised it should be a standard £10.00 fee to retrive all of my previous statements, sigh.

OK, I'm now in the queue!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the banks insist of the £5 per statement fee?

Maybe they feel that some poor unsuspecting mug will pay them and then they can use the additional money raised this way to offset what they are having to pay out.

Dead sneeky they are

Let me know how you get on as I have a claim via MCOL with Nationwide that they have until the 26th April to defend.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

Hi, PPMAN159,

I will try and keep this thread up to date.

I'm in the process of finalising my 'Parachute' account with Alliance and Leicester as recommended by moneysavingexpert.com, trouble is I wish to keep my overdraft the same value, which at the moment is proving a little tricky.

It seems as though Nationwide are taking the view of closing accounts for all customers who claim for this, surely this is not good?

hi inthedark, nw did not close my account when i claimed but they did tell me to behave :rolleyes: or they would look again at my account, seems they have done a u-turn on this policy x

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07

Hi lori1,

hi inthedark, nw did not close my account when i claimed but they did tell me to behave :rolleyes: or they would look again at my account, seems they have done a u-turn on this policy x

I think I will still keep the account open but not use it.

How can they say behave after they rob us blind!

I must admit to being narked with Nationwide as I have been with them, well forever, in the early days they were great but over the last few years they are very unhelpful.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, received "Notice that Acknowledgment of Service has been filed" last Saturday (14th April).

This now means Nationwide "now has 28 days from the date of service of the claim form to file a defence" as quoted on the Acknowledgment of Service document, so I'm now looking at the 5th May for the end of the 28 days and then I assume Nationwide will throw other obstacles in the way?

MCOL/Nationwide must be on the ball though, as the date of the A. of S. document was signed (well typed) on 4th April @ 15:44, two days after I had filled in the MCOL details.

I notice with dismay that the "I intend to defend all of this claim" box has had an X entered into it.

don't worry in the dark, it is the same for all of us, hopefully you wont have to wait too long best of luck.x

Hi lori1,

Reading through more threads on this site I can see I'm not alone.

It's just frustrating though.

The thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/81147-mcol-filed-28days-now.html

does explain what has happened to others after the 28 days have expired and is very useful.

Hey inthedark, right behind you!!! mine mcol was served on the 10th April so my 28 days expires on mon 7th May! have u started to collate your court bundle or do we wait to see what Nationwides intentions are and give them the 28 days!?!

Keep me informed on how you get on!

Thanks

Ozz

Hi Ozzwold,

No I haven't started to collate the court bundle although most of the stuff is ready to hand.

After looking through a few posts on this site it always seems as if the banks do pay up even if it is 3 or 4 days after the 28 day deadline, not sure how the shareholders or, if like Nationwide there are no shareholders just us 'users', can let this happen?

If a bank or building society decides not to respond to our initial requests for repayment or to take it further, then they have to pay the extra court fees. Surely, after they never seem to win, the shareholders or 'users' can object to the banks incurring more fees?

If they pay up in the first instance then they wouldn't have so much to pay out?

But like you I'm now waiting to see what happens next, hopefully I will get my over paid fees back, with out having to resort to the next step.

Cheers,

inthedark

At the end of day ITD I do not think that the banks give a stuff about the additional costs.

They will just find new ways to get more cash out of us and,you see, this time next year when they report the 2007 profits I bet that they will be higher than 2006.

So the additional cost probably does not even enter into their heads and I bet that the solicotors are not going to get them to pay out early-they have too much at stage money wise.

PPMAN159

I can see how this whole issue of us claiming for unfair charges is not actually losing anybody any money.

The banks' solicitors make money

The courts make money

We get our money back!

The banks' lose some money? Not too sure about this! Initially yes, but in the end we will pay for it by possibly this idea of removing the free banking we have in this country, sigh it's all a money maker for the banks and people who work for or around them.

Perhaps that is what I should do, become a banker....no perhaps not!

hi folks, looks like there's a few of us going against NW all at the same time so it'll be good to keep in touch. NW filed acknowledgement of my claim with MCOL today so they have 28 days from now.

Not done anything about a court bundle yet, need to do some more reading on the site regarding what goes into it first!

Andy

Hi xjrandy,

I would recommend having a good look through this site and it's forums first.

There are loads of people in the same boat as us and they have documented their exploits in the forums.

I'm nearing the '28 days later' stage which seems to be more like '30 or 31 days later' before Nationwide give any response but it looks as though all who have claimed are getting their money back, let's hope we are not an exception!

BTW there is a great story about the baliffs going into another bank's branch and taking some computers http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs/58208-baliff-has-taken-banks.html on page two there is even a link to the Daily Mail's report on it.

Well worth a read just to gen up a bit on the actual process if it goes that far.

Cheers,

inthedark

OK, just had a little read on the 'claiming past 6 years' thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/80486-claiming-beyond-6-yrs.html#post712882

Has anyone asked this question of the Nationwide?

I admit to not being the best client a bank could have as I'm not brilliant with money (maybe that should be THE best client in the charges I have paid over the years?!?).

I have been with the Nationwide since 1984, I shudder to think how much money I could claim for, I'm not kidding this would be serious money, surley Nationwide can not pay out for this amount of time? There must be some sort of limit?

Hi Guys!

Reading your thread with interest. Don't worry about court bundles, just sit and wait for the money to come in! It probably won't be on day 28 or 29 but soon after that.

As regards claiming back before six years ago I am considering it. Has anybody else tried it with Nationwide yet?

I am a bit sad and have kept a lot of my statements. From looking at those it seems that they only started these unfair charges from about July 1992. I was charged £837.50 from then up to October 2000, so worth claiming, especially after adding the 8% interest!

Hi pitters,

I'd be very interested if you did claim past the 6 year barrier as I would like to do the same.

Like you I've kept most of my statements but will have to spend some time digging the older ones out. I'm very tempted to send off the SAR as I used my saved statements to claim this time.

I'll watch your thread with interest.

woop woop guys, that sounds very interesting! I used to have a lot of money (back in the day) but always went over my agreed overdraft...why let me go to £800 if my overdraft was only £400??? surely by letting me they are agreeing? well £10 every month since i was 21 will difinately add up.

XJR andy have you sent a schedule of your charges to the court? I have sent this and im thinking i now have to send a copy to the banks solicitor as they 'intent to defend' mhuh whatever!

Ozz

The reason that they let you go £400 over your limit is that they can money out of it.

good advise to XJR-send a copy of the charges to the solicitor just to be on the safe side.

PPMAN159

Cheers PP Done to be safe - I just basically just amended the letter to the courts giving the schedule, is this correct? I used the address podsted by lively lad http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/74992-nationwide-contact-information.html

It was the swindon address, but just realised i made it to dear sir madam, rather than Mr Bacon, will that be a problem? It's got all my account info and claim number, plus schedule and obviously the amount i want back.

Ozz

XJR andy have you sent a schedule of your charges to the court? I have sent this and im thinking i now have to send a copy to the banks solicitor as they 'intent to defend' mhuh whatever!

Ozz

Hey Ozz

I've not sent a schedule off yet, NW have only "acknowledged" my claim at the moment they haven't said whether they will defend or not (I'm assuming they will though from reading other threads) I'll get one sent off in a few days though.

Andy

I would like to claim for over 6 years worth but I will wait and see what happens with my current claim of under 6 years worth.

So far I haven't sent any additional letters/correspondance other than my initial claim which was refused by Nationwide, so I started the court procedure, as yet I have not sent anything extra to the court (MCOL) or my local County Court or to Nationwide or Mr Bacon.

Should I send my spreadsheet of charges to Mr Bacon and/or the Court, or just sit and wait until it actually goes to court?

hi inthedark, yes you should send two copies of your schedule of charges to mcol to be forwarded with your claim you should send along with this cover letter:

The Court Manager

Money Claim Online

Northampton County Court

21-27 St Katherine’s Street

Northampton

NN1 2LH

(DATE)

Dear Sir/Madam

(YOU) –v- (BANK)

Claim No: ********

I have requested the issue of a County Court claim via the Moneyclaim online service, details as above.

Please find enclosed a schedule of the money taken from me by the defendant bank by way of charges, along with interest claimed at the annual rate of 8% pursuant to section 69 of the County Court Act. The interest in addition to the amount in charges equates to the total amount of my claim, namely £(AMOUNT).

I respectfully request that the enclosed schedule should be attached with the particulars of my claim.

Yours Faithfully

(YOU)

• Haha 1