tomtom gps issues

gbjadyy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok, i purchased a tomtom 910 from currys around a month ago and after 2 days it refused to switch on (faulty) so took it back for a replacement which was duely given although i was offered only the display model in replacement (they said they did not have any further stock) i was not really impressed by having the ex display model when i had paid for a new one but needed it quick so reluctantly accepted but this has been working fine so far.

2 weeks ago i bought an rds tmc reciever from amazon to get free trafic info through the tomtom but this has NEVER worked ( i paid extra postage as i wanted this quick next day)

now i am not impressed with the tomtom products at all although i would be happy to keep them if problems are resolved, i contacted tomtom and for over a week i wass fobbed off with pathic emails pointing me to FAQ's and also saying i should take it up with the mercent seller.

i am aware i could get replacement from amazon but i feel the problem lies with tomtom as it is there products that are failing, i have since phoned them and they have agreed to have the rds for repair although this could take around 10 days before i see anything back, and i have now become aware there are hundreds if not thousands of people having problems with this same rds reciever and it seems the product does not live upto its intended purpose, I totally blame tomtom for my problems and have informed them of this.

now my question is

I paid for extra postage for next day delivery to get the product quickly but it has never worked on a product that now appears to be circulating the market that has know design issues.

should i stand back and accept i paid extra for something thats never worked and should i ask for compensation for the timescale it takes to resolve the problem????

i have recently found refererences to people having similer issues with the same product and even the replacemnts they get dont work !!!!

also can anyone tell me if curries should have offered a part refund on the tomtom 910 as they asked me to accept an ex dispaly model as an exchange for a faulty model they had sold to me???

If there was a difference in value they could have given you a small reimbursement, but to be honest Currys could just say that they would have sold the display model at the same price (I've bought a hoover from them which was a display model and the last in stock and I tried to haggle but ended up paying the same). Provided the condition was as new, I doubt you could push this really.

With regard to the receiver, if this is faulty you will need to take this up with Amazon, if you act quickly you should still be able to reject it and claim a full refund for this product as it is not of satisfactory quality or fit for the purpose and therefore does not comply with the Sale of Goods Act.

It's Amazon as the retailer who are liable under this Act. You could of course go back to Tomtom under any manufacturers' guarantee but this would be bound entirely by any terms and conditions that they set and you could have an effect on your statutory rights against Amazon if you choose to accept repairs or replacements from the manufacturer.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

the reason i prefere to put blame on tomtom though is because after finding out more this appears to be a problem with these devices not working anyway (not necessarly faulty as such but are not manufactured to perform the required duty), and i want to get toi the bottom of the problem with tomtom, i.e. i want them to admit they are distributing items for sale that are clearly not fit for purpose (the refund side does not worry me really as i feel if they a hard up for £45 they could ask for it, but obviousley totom are a multi million pound industry and i want to know why they have not withdrawn these items from ssale when they are constantly bombarded with complaints from people like myself that buy them and then discover they do not work, It now appears there is a revised model that is supposed to be released but when i asked tomtom about this the guy on the phone said " i am not aware of this" but some pople have said they have confirmation from tomtom that they will recieve replacements but tomtom are telling me there are no replacements!!!

i am very frustrated over this and have quoted sale of goods act to them but they always ignore that comment and continue to fob off, like i said before they have agreed to have the item for "repair" but i am convinced that the replacement will not work either due to the fact that these recivers are now known not to work correctly in the uk

it appears they work quite well in some euro countries but here there nothing short of useles even though tomtom advertise these as being suitable for the uk and they sell to the uk aswell as supply merchants in the uk

You can't quote the Sale of Goods Act to Tomtom, that only applies against the retailer. If you choose to pursue Tomtom, you will have to read their manufacturers' warranty and abide by their terms and conditions. And be aware that you may affect your future rights under SoGA if you do so.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I have a tomtom go 510 I bought in August last year. I had issues with it right from the start(it kept turning on and off of its own accord), kept getiing fobbed off by tom tom, same as you, so I took it back to Comet who sent it off for repair. I picked it up 3 weeks later and less than 2 minutes from the store I realised it had gone off again. I went back to the store, they called tomtom and was told it was the docking staion. tomtom sent a new docking station (six weeks later) so I put this in the car and it still has the same problem. I took it back to comet who sent it for repair and now they think its the docking station (again) and have asked that I take this in to be sent away (I thought tomtom would have one of their own). It seems like tomtom are just trying to fob people off rather than put problems right.

My advice is steer clear of tomtom

• 2 months later...

I purchased a TomTom Go710 at the Beginning of May 2007.

I began using the device immeadiately to travel too and from work, which the device managed quite well, except the positioning of some POI was wholey inaccurate, such as a McDonalds over 1 mile from the actual postion, or a Speed Camera alert showing as 40mph where the actual speed was 30mph.

However, it wasnt until after the returns policy for the store that I had purchased it from had lapsed, had I discovered how out of date the unit was in terms of the maps.

For example a couple of major motorways of the UK are still showing the roads as they were 3 year ago!!! and some A Roads are badly wrong.

My issue with TomTom was that as a product that I purchased in May, I should upon first registration of the product be eligible for a free update of the Maps to the most recent version, and there after pay for any updates (99 euros). However I wasnt eligible for such an update, it has become apparant that my maps are 3 versions out of date.

I have contacted TomTom by Email and postal mail about this issue and others, and I have had no response.

Then randomly one day I get an email from TomTom about my letter, however after a little examination, I find that the letter referred to was by another customer with my same name, but regarding a TomTom Rider.

I have attempted to correct the error again via email but I have also tried via phone with no luck...

Im now at my wits end and really dont think the TomTom Go 710 is worth anywhere near the £300 TomTom are charging for it.

How do I persue this matter?

I personally feel as if the device is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

At this point im contemplating legal action against TomTom.

Does anyone else feel as strongly about this as I do?

I had a go 510. It kept turning itself on and off. I got a refund a couple of weeks ago.

You say that your maps are a few versions out of date. I dont think this matters as the current maps are crap as well. Driving in Falmouth, Cornwall was a nightmare, it kept wanting me to turn up one way streets the wrong way, I asked the people where I was lodging and they told me they had been 'no entry' since they had lived there (19 years), and there was a road in exeter that moved 7 years ago, luckily I knew how to get to it.

It regularly shows speed cameras at wrong speed and its useless trying to contact Tomtom, once they have your money they lose all interest in you. Customer support is non existant.

I now have a Garmin and it is much better, I will be trying it out in Spain next month, I would not have tried this with tomtom

mine took around 10 weeks to resolve with tomtom and then 1 week later the car charger packed up (dramatically with loads of smoke and almost fire), i contacted tomtom about this and told them i was willing to hand over the charger to the mainstream media for full testing and tv reporting due to the danger of this problem if they did not act quickly, along with them being made resonsible for any damge to my cars wiring (luckily this survived the problem)

strangly enough a new one was sent by courior the same day!!!!

• 8 months later...

with regard to the TMC traffic reciever, I believe this effects all 910's and tmc. its down to v7 software.

I am having a similar battle with tomtom 4months+

can you let me know how you resolved it?

Thanks

Mike