Newbie asking for advice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post so hello to everyone first of all. I have been reading the forums for weeks after being referred from the MSE site and would appreciate some help and advice as I am a bit bamboozled.

My husband and I had a few bank accounts with the RBS which are now all closed following severe financial difficulties and we are 1 year into a DMP with the CCCS.

The RBS s****** us royally over the redemption of our mortgage and we have been advised to sue them but thats another story!

We have accumulated a lot of charges over the past 3 years on our joint and individual accounts, also my husband's business accounts.

Using the template from the Govan law centre, I asked the RBS for 5 yrs bank statements on Feb 19. Statements for our Joint Account ONLY arrived 3 weeks later (in a tatty split envelope!).

I waited until the 40 days were up and then requested the rest of the statements on March 29th.

I have totalled the charges on the joint account and they come to £900.

The problem I have is that, on the statements there are 2 different ways of detailing the charges and I don't know what they mean! I am almost sure that each charge is for exceeding our overdraft limit but I don't know if they are for returned DDs or bounced cheques.

If I write to the RBS asking for the charges to be refunded, can I just list the charges as they are written on the statements with the dates or do I have to list what each charge is for?

I really don't want to speak to anyone on the phone as it causes me such anxiety and I am recovering from major surgery. My husband is too ill.

Also. I have Power of Attorney for my Mother. Prior to my father's death in 2003, they ran up huge amounts in bank charges when my mother got caught up in the lottery scams that target elderly people. Can I reclaim these charges on her behalf even though the account was a joint one at the time?

Thankyou anyone who has made it to the end of this post and can offer any assistance.

This is my first post so hello to everyone first of all. I have been reading the forums for weeks after being referred from the MSE site and would appreciate some help and advice as I am a bit bamboozled.

My husband and I had a few bank accounts with the RBS which are now all closed following severe financial difficulties and we are 1 year into a DMP with the CCCS.

The RBS s****** us royally over the redemption of our mortgage and we have been advised to sue them but thats another story!

We have accumulated a lot of charges over the past 3 years on our joint and individual accounts, also my husband's business accounts.

Using the template from the Govan law centre, I asked the RBS for 5 yrs bank statements on Feb 19. Statements for our Joint Account ONLY arrived 3 weeks later (in a tatty split envelope!).

I waited until the 40 days were up and then requested the rest of the statements on March 29th.

I have totalled the charges on the joint account and they come to £900.

The problem I have is that, on the statements there are 2 different ways of detailing the charges and I don't know what they mean! I am almost sure that each charge is for exceeding our overdraft limit but I don't know if they are for returned DDs or bounced cheques.

If I write to the RBS asking for the charges to be refunded, can I just list the charges as they are written on the statements with the dates or do I have to list what each charge is for?

I really don't want to speak to anyone on the phone as it causes me such anxiety and I am recovering from major surgery. My husband is too ill.

Also. I have Power of Attorney for my Mother. Prior to my father's death in 2003, they ran up huge amounts in bank charges when my mother got caught up in the lottery scams that target elderly people. Can I reclaim these charges on her behalf even though the account was a joint one at the time?

Thankyou anyone who has made it to the end of this post and can offer any assistance.

Hi dont take this as gospel I think the answer would be yes you can claim for your mother though you may need to copy Power of attorney to the bank again. You could go to local branch for explanation of charges description on statement.

good luck dpick:evil:

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

you can request the charges be refunded regardless if you know what they are for are not. If it goes to court the statement saying charge on it is evidence enough in itself and the bank would have to defend it saying if they are actually for something different.

Also the easiest thing to do would be put your mothers name on the bottom of her letter rather than mess about saying youve got permission. You can still represent her easily enough and if you say you are acting on someone elses behalf it tends to delay things a bit.

Emma