Credit card surcharge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a question regarding credit card surcharges. I booked my holiday

in February and paid the deposit with my switch card. There is £1670 to pay in a few days and

I've now found out that there is a 3% credit card surcharge! That's £50. This wasn't mentioned in

the holiday company's terms and conditions, on the invoice or on the phone. Can I dispute it?? I can pay by cheque or debit card but I'm more comfortable paying my credit card firstly because I collect BA Airmiles air miles and secondly I have the extra insurance with my credit card.

Any ideas please?

• 3 weeks later...

It does seem quite usual that the companies charge for credit card don't think they would have for a debit card. I don't think your entitled to a refund but I imagine if you explained you weren't told and it isn't fair because of this.

Perhaps if you say you will phone up your card company and request a charge back as technically you have bought something without being told all the charges and would have paid by debit card or cash.

Help me to help others!

I'd very surprised if you could dispute it. I bet they will have it written somewhere.

I think that since you have the possibility to pay with your debit card and avoid the surcharge (and subsequent hassle), it may be worth considering.

CC fees are the norm I'm afraid, though 3% does seem steep. Most companies charge 1.5 - 2%.

The reason they charge is because the bank they use will charge them for each transaction they put through on cc, debit cards are charged slightly differently by the banks and is very minimal, but shops are charged heavily for the use of credit cards.

The agent can use discretion as to whether to charge you or not. You can try the nicely nicely approach and expl that credit is the only way you can afford to pay and that the fee is high and you hadn't budgeted for it and see how you go!

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

Guest 10110001

Do check that the holiday company's cards merchant service agreement allows them to pass on their account charges to the consumer.

Most credit card transactions are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which protects the consumer from fees being charged in this way. Merchants such as Holiday Companies and airlines can apply for a variation of terms if they can show their profit margins are extremely low.

Bailiffs for example, do not usually have this provision as their fees are prescribed by the DCA yet they change credit card fees on a regulated transaction. In this case you can reclaim the whole amount paid to a bailiff under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (a chargeback) on the grounds of making a misrepresentation, or seeking to mislead the consumer that such a provision exists.