BAZNEW1 Vs Barclays and Barclaycard

Guest baznew1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6042 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest baznew1

Hello All.

I have just returned from the Post office here in the States.

Sent out Registered Letters to Barclays and Barclaycard with enclosed 10 Quid cheques for DPA with SAR note.

Cost me $ 21.00 but worth the gamble I thought.

The good thing is that they have to sign a special card that gets sent back to me too.

It takes about a week to get to the UK because this type of letter can only go under "lock and Key". Also you get a tracking number for web checking.

So their clock will start ticking from the date I see they received it.

From now on I'll be reading up as much as possible on site.

I'll keep you posted.

good luck to everyone and thanks for the advice Bookworm.

Laters Baz

Guest baznew1

I will Caz.

One, They charge $39 dollars here. but they have these snidey tricks like posting a larger cheque to just make you over draw, then post as many smaller items , even though they were made earlier than the larger stuff. So you end up getting 2 or 3 charges.

Then you go down to the branch and they just remove some of them if youre lucky, its just one big [problem].

I'm looking into the laws here to see if this stuff will apply too. I'd love it if there is.

Anyhow, I'll let everyone know what goes on

all the best

• 4 weeks later...
Guest baznew1

OK I now have confirmation that Barclays AND Barclaycard received my SAR' s on 13th April 2007.

I've just sent an e-mail to Krista at Churchill place reminding her that her department have now only until May to respond.

I've even been good enough to offer re-imbursement for additional postage should they need it,,,,BLESS EM.

But that I will be claiming this sum back should I make any claim in court against them.

I'll let you know, what she says. Bless her cotton socks.

As an aside, I had some charges made on my American account over here $108 dollars. The buggers refused to refund when my wife went down to the branch.

So I went down all polite, like.

I asked if they were tied to Bank of America, because that is how they operate by posting a large debit first then smaller ones after so you get charged more often.

The manager said no they dont "Its just a policy so that people can pay their mortgages and dont default"

(Codswallop).

In her next breath, she said all charges were refunded right there and then.

I imagine its because I'm so extremely charming and handsome that they refunded.

So my American quest is now underway too. This will be on a separate thread in case theres some ex-pats on here.

I just got to read up on their charging system here first.

Good luck all

• 4 weeks later...
Guest baznew1

OK, just today got back the Barclaycard statements, with what I assume is the standard "here are your statements from 2004, blah blah the rest is on microfilm which takes 6 weeks to process, we do not consider microfilm statements to fall within data protection etc, but as goodwill gesture we are happy to provide".

They received my letter on 13 April 07. They sent out their letter on 16 May 07 ( they love to keep you waiting dont they?) so 33 days, OK they are safe so far.

Now do I send them a template letter after the 40 days is up for the remaining info, which I am sure has a lot more relevant charges on it. ( theyve been charging 12 pounds per late charge since 2004).

Also, I sent Barclays the same letter on the same day, but didnt get a return receipt, so I'm assuming it wasnt accepted at Churchill place. The F******rs might know it takes the US postal service up to 60 days to track letters (dammit).

Is it best for me to now contact local branch via phone fax etc to get my statements or say to head office they received letter the same time as Barclaycard?

Its a real pain.

• 1 month later...

Good luck with your claim, and you are welcome to my letter templates if you wish! You may decide not to claim for the "Unauthorised Overdraft" rate depending on the outcome of my claim, but I am going to see it through either way.

Be carefull also, as you will need to make an MCOL application using the UK system, and will need a UK address to do so. Also be prepared to catch a flight over if you need to!

Good luck, I will follow your thread with interest (pardon the pun!)

Boba

Guest baznew1

Thanks Boba

I'll use my parents address when the time comes.

I'm wondering if I could claim flights due to the fact that Barclays settle just before court, Maybe I could add it to the schedule of charges. (LOL free trip to Blighty, is it raining?)

Guest baznew1

i was also planning on claiming the additions charges as well on a seperate schedule. I saw something similar on CAG but cant find it, anyone know where it is?

i was also planning on claiming the additions charges as well on a seperate schedule. I saw something similar on CAG but cant find it, anyone know where it is?

You can't claim the additions charges unless you were misold the service. As this is a fee for a service, not a penalty charge.

• 2 months later...
Guest baznew1

Heres an update.

I complained about additions, got a letter back saying they would look into it.

So I sent another letter stating I want additions removed.

Got letter today from customer relations in Leicester and a full refund of 620 pounds.

They couldn't find record of me asking for the service, (I didnt ask for it).

At least its a start.

Now all I have to do is is start the claim for charges when I return to Blighty next month.

I'm looking forward to this.

Heres an update.

I complained about additions, got a letter back saying they would look into it.

So I sent another letter stating I want additions removed.

Got letter today from customer relations in Leicester and a full refund of 620 pounds.

They couldn't find record of me asking for the service, (I didnt ask for it).

At least its a start.

Now all I have to do is is start the claim for charges when I return to Blighty next month.

I'm looking forward to this.

hi,baz,just started the additions complaint,what else did you put in letter asking for removal.take it you didnt give them the time they asked for to look into it.tez

Guest baznew1

Hello Tezl

heres my letter, you can use it if you wish.

Dear Sir / Madam

I am in receipt of your letter dated July 2007.

In your letter you “assume” that I was happy to be charged for a service I did not request.

Let me make it perfectly clear to you that I am in no way, whatsoever, happy with such a “service”.

Please remove it immediately.

Also, I request that the charges you levied on my account due to going over my agreed overdraft because of the Additions charges be refunded to the account.

Additionally, unless you can supply me with adequate documentation that clearly shows I requested this “service” from your bank, I require ALL charges for such service refunded immediately.

If the charges are refunded, then I will take no further action, either by way of Financial Ombudsman Service or court.

Please note that I deem this account to be in dispute and request that no charges or interest be added to it until this matter is resolved.

Finally, this issue is in no way related to any of the provisions set out in your leaflet entitled “Unauthorised Overdraft Charges Court Action” and as such, will be dealt with seperately.

Sincerely

One thing, make sure you do not sign the letter, maybe I'm paranoid but they could always copy it and say you signed for something.

It seems to be generally the rule of thumb when dealing with Barclays.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

nice one tezl... will be def. looking into my additions (plus) accounts (x2).. I vaguely remember my husband taking phone call when they 'upgraded' our joint account... and telling him we would get a connect card each ... he got one and I never did despite asking in local branch, so when I paid money into joint account, I could never get it back out via a cash machine! This is the account I am claiming the penalty charges on and had forgotton all about the fact that I was never issued with a debit card!

hehe.. and there he was peacefully asleep...

I think I used the breakdown service once though but could say that was on the other account... worth a try though will compose letter and post when strike over