ANY IDEAS.........Please

AbbeyShambles

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This puts the "goodwill" gestures from Abbey into perspective doesn't it. Do they know what goodwill is? :mad:

Fear not! All you need to do, is open another account with another bank & put £30 in it (the fee for a court claim under £1,000).

Claim back all the charges that they have taken so far & charge them contractual interest on it, for Abbey this is 28.7% apr. Then, when they settle (and they will), put £30 back into the new account. Then keep taking them to court & reclaiming any new charges & charge them interest until the balance is nil, then close the account. This will work out very expensive for Abbey, and very satisfying for you.

• Haha 1

Hi, just to add to this, you must start by reading the FAQs and Step-by-Step guide to claiming the charges back. Then you have to work out the total of the charges which Abbey have taken from you. If you haven't got all your statements, send them an SAR (Subject Action Request) [template on this site]. FWIW, I would think twice about claiming "contractual interest" at 28.7%. Regards, Mad Nick

• Haha 1

Abbey £8370 settled 17 Apr 07

Mad Nick - wise words. Claiming contractual interest makes the job considerably more complicated and is much more likely to lead to a battle. It is not always guaranteed either. Some banks, even with a judgement against them including CI will pay charges + CCA interest and apply for a stay to argue the CI. If you're new at this and have never sued someone before I'd take the easy road which is basic charges + interest and then the 8% CCA interest as and when it gets to the court stage. Start from square 1 on the CAG, read the FAQ's, have a look at some of the other Abbey threads and read how other people are getting on and when you're ready, start your own thread so others can help you. If you have any questions, post them on here and someone will always jump in. Good luck.

• Haha 1

Abbeyshambles

As suggested earlier open another account and think carefully before going for contractual Interest as it is a lot more involved than just getting your charges back, do as nick suggested and read the step by step guides and the faqs. I believe that if you are out of work you could be exempt from paying court fees, if not and you cannot afford the court fees then perhaps the fsa route could help as you don't pay for anything that way {it takes about two months i believe going the fsa route}.

It might help if you send the abbey a letter saying you are disputing the account, this way they should put the account on hold, in the letter put something along the lines of why you are disputing the account such as unfair charges etc.

regards pmahonc

• Haha 1

As stated above, don't worry too much about the 14 days, just get a letter off to them stating that you are currently in the process of making a complaint regarding the charges that have been levied to your account over the past 6 years and, for that reason, consider the account to be in dispute. You could also suggest that once a mutually acceptable agreement to your complaint has been found, you will be more than happy to discuss re-payment of the outstanding monies. If (or should I say when) you are successful with your complaint, Abbey will pay what they owe you into your account. If there is still a balance to pay you can enter into negotiation with Abbey and determine a "reasonable" level of re-payment. They can't just insist you pay it all back in one go. You can't pay what you don't have.

It is important, in my opinion, to keep Abbey informed of your proposed course of action. It would appear that they are sabre-rattling a bit with you which they shouldn't do so you need to show them that you are serious.

As regards "What are my chances?" - if you've been buzzing around this forum for 4 months you should have reached the conclusion that there aren't too many losers around here. In fact....make that NONE!

You'll be fine, go for it.

• 3 weeks later...