Does CCA apply to Sole Trader

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I operate a business as a sole trader and am in dispute with a company over a magazine ad I paid for by monthly instalemnts over twelve months. Because I have not paid the final instalment I have had a letter from Moorcroft DCA threatening court action and all sorts of nasty things (baliffs etc) if I dont pay up. Can I request a copy if the credit agreement under the CCA if I am a sole trader? I am disputing the debt because the advert did not run its full course in the magazine.

If I cant use the CCA can anyone advise how I can deal with moorcorft?

Hi, I'd imagine this is not a large amount of money we are referring to here if it is for one payment of an annual advertisment. Something like yellow pages ? Personally, I'd tell Moorcroft theres a dispute and and deal with the advertising company direct. If there is a genuine dispute I am sure the advertising company will recognise the issue you had with them and come to a compromise. I do not think the CCA would be any help to you because it is a business issue not a consumer issue even though you are a sole trader.

I'd recommend talking first to the ad company, and tell moorcroft you will not be dealing with them. Most companies will come to a compromise. I had this with YP ages ago and satisfied the debt with an offer bringing it to a sensible conclusion.

The CCA regulates Consumer Contracts, be careful if the agreement is in your name as a trader, you will probably not be covered.

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

Thanks for that Andrew, I will write to Moorcroft. The amount is £129 so not a great deal but the advertising company have ignored my last two letters to them.

Phone them ( the advertising company), speak to their credit control department and say you want to settle this once and for all and can they make a decision or put you onto someone that can - you'll get it settled. They'll just inform Moorcroft it's been written off or settled, tell them you are not prepared to talk to morons at Moorcroft who know nothing about the account. They'll understand what you mean. Good luck