Jump to content

Mortgage arrears


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I've recently gone through a divorce. My ex wife left the marital home and found herself rented accomodation. I found myself left with bank loans/credit card bills/maintenance, etc. I approached the A&L after talking to friends and asked if I could transfer the mortgage to an interest only repayment until the house was sold. My property at the time was for sale at 280k. The A&L agreed that I could change th interest only and gave me illustration figures saving me some £200 per month. They said they would transfer only after my ex wife and I signing a consent form as the mortgage was in a joint name. My ex wife refused to sign the form. A&L told me that without both signatures I would have to pay the full mortgage amount. Faced with being in a position of being unable to pay the mortgage I cancelled the direct debit and sent the&L a cheque every month to cover the interest only, accompanied every month by a letter explaining my circumstances.My hous took over a year to sell at 200k. I have recieved numerous letters from the A&L over that period insisting that I pay the arrears, some letters have been charged at £30 each, some £80 each. I have a statement which gives a total of these charges at £900 plus. Am i entitled to claim this back seeing as in my opinion I paid the interest and the A&L have had the "arrears" when my mortgage was redeemed.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,


Welcome to the forum.


I've moved your thread to the mortgage forum so that you can get more specialist help :)


You'll find the mortgage forum as a sub forum off of the forum entitled 'other institutions'.


Yes you can claim these charges back, although if it was a joint mortgage you may need to get your ex's consent to do so.


First off do a SAR to get your statements back. There is a template letter in the 'bank templates library'.


The rest of the templates you need are in the stickies at the top of this forum.


All the best



Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...