Vonage....hidden exit charge - is it lawful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Signed up with Vonage three months ago for what looked like a good deal - £5.99 a month including unlimited landline calls to the UK and Ireland.

Hidden in the detail was the connection charges, delivery of the 'free' adaptor. But I got over that.

The real issues began when we started using the product. Connection to international calls invariably had either echo or it just dropped out.

So after two months of persisting and trying all the solutions offered on the site, and after the adaptor failed to have any power, I thought I'd give them the elbow.

Started off by talking to a patronising American guy who insisted on calling me 'young man' and kept asking me to relax and slow down......kiss my n*ts! I told him the device had persistent echo and that today there was no power in it. The cheeky s*d then asked me how it had echo when it had no power grrrrrr, eventually he got the a*se and said 'ok, ok, I'll send you a replacement unit' and hung up.

Apparently it will cost me the princely sum of £23.99 to disconnect.

So I either persisit with them taking money from my card or give them more money to leave......is this disconnection unfair / unlawful or is it a service?????????

Dub the Angry:-x

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First Direct - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 29/12/06

Statements recieved 15/1/07 - >£3000 owed

Prelim sent 16.01.07

Partial offer received 01.02.2007

LBA and letter rejecting paltry offer sent 02.02.2007

MCOL filed mid Feb 07

AQ 26th March

BoS - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 29/12/06

Statements received 1.02.2007 - Prelim sent 02.02.2007

• 6 months later...

*bump*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First Direct - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 29/12/06

Statements recieved 15/1/07 - >£3000 owed

Prelim sent 16.01.07

Partial offer received 01.02.2007

LBA and letter rejecting paltry offer sent 02.02.2007

MCOL filed mid Feb 07

AQ 26th March

BoS - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 29/12/06

Statements received 1.02.2007 - Prelim sent 02.02.2007

The disconnection fee is there in their t & c's

Would you recover that by selling the adaptor on ebay? Is it configurable to try with a different voip provider?

(I bought a different adapter to use draytel)

Not sure how you would get on arguing that they have provided a **** service - SOG act covers it I should think. Is the disconnection fee to cover the cost of the box? Would offering to return it help?

Bit tricky stopping credit card mandates too - credit card is likely to pay up, but you might be able to claim that back, especially if you tell the credit card company in advance what you are doing & why

More questions than answers I'm afraid

Grumpy

They've always had this charge, but the problems with dropped calls and echo isn;t down to them in most cases. If you're BB connection is slow, due either to your own usage, or the contention rate of others, you get really dreadful service. The problem is also in the upload (not download) speed which causes breakup of your side of the call and it is the box adding the echo so you are made to think your line is still active/connected.

I've used a few VOIP providers, and the service quality is seldom under the control of the carrier, but your connection alone. Before you pay money to cancel, complain to your BB supplier about slow connection speeds, as their action may resolve your issue.