Barclays closes my accounts no reason given

tb22309

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received the following letter from Barclays:

Dear..

About your accounts

Account numbers.... Sort Codes...

Unfortunately, we now need to give you formal notice, that 1 month from todays date- at the close of business on .....- your accounts with us will be closed and our contracts ended.

It is therefore important that you withdraw any outstanding credit balance from the account before the closure date, and make alternative arrangements for your banking straightaway.

You should note that after your account has been closed, no further standing orders will be paid, and any cheques or direct debits presented for payment will be dishonoured with the answer "Account Closed". You should advise any third party that may make payments to your accounts of your alternative bank details. We will take reasonable steps to return to the sender any payments sent to you after your account has been closed, however we cannot guarentee the return of such funds.

Please note that if we received any request for a status report about you and your account, we will reply that we regret we are unable to express an opinion.

1) Can I find out why the accounts were closed, can they do this? I also received a termination notice on the accounts.

2) Due to there being agreed overdrafts totalling £ 1921.93 combined on these three account, and they were not paid off within 1 month it was passed to a debt collection agency this was settled immediately, and a default entered on my file. No default notice was sent to me. Can I do anything about this?

Thanks so much!

Hello

Thank you, no I am not reclaiming charges, the amount of the agreed overdrafts were paid off, I just want to know why they have closed the accounts, and to try and get them to remove the default

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Firstly, I think you should get a copy of your credit report to see if they have put a Default on it and secondly, I would write to Barclays and ask them why they have closed your accounts.

OK I will try and write to Barclays, though they have said: Please note that if we receive any request for a status report about you and your account, we will reply that we regret that we are unable to express an opinion.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

I would assume by that that they mean if they are asked about the status of your accounts by others and not you.

I would also send them an SAR letter to find out what's happened.

I would assume by that that they mean if they are asked about the status of your accounts by others and not you.

I would also send them an SAR letter to find out what's happened.

Thank you! What is an SAR letter?

Can I do this even though the accounts are now closed?

When I write to Barclays about why they closed the accounts down, do they have a legal right to let me know why they did so?

Many thanks

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Can I do this even though the accounts are now closed?

Yes, you can.

When I write to Barclays about why they closed the accounts down, do they have a legal right to let me know why they did so?

Many thanks

Have a read of this, it may help issue 48 - banking: when a firm decides to close a customer's account

I received the first letter on the 10th August 2006. Two of the letters gave 1 months notice( the personal and one business), the other 1 weeks notice.(the other business) One was a personal account, the other two business accounts. I have just found out about the default