style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

i am having problems with chandlers, they have sent through 2 letters with different ref numbers on for the same council tax bill, so in effect charging me twice for last years council tax. i have been to the council who called them, chandlers said they were sending one back to the council,this is the correct one with the correct reference number on, but they are still chasing me for the non existant one, i cant seem to get anyone to listen let alone understand,

they say next time they will be around with a van, i have not let them in and will not let them in.

i have been to connect.chandlers.ltd.uk put in the correct number name etc and up pops my details, when trying with the incorrect it tells me no account was found and log in failed.

how can i get them to stop chasing me for a non existant account???

Guest ChloeJane

Hi Lacy,

Write a letter to them clearly outlining what you have said here.

In your letter state that the council has been in touch with them as have you but they are continually making threats of harrasment with letters knowing that there is only one account.

Write that unless the letters and harrasment stop immediately you will seek further legal advice for civil harrasment as you have clearly dealt with the matter and it is their failed administration processes that is causing you concern and anguish.

Copy the letter to the council adding your concern that this behaviour from their contractors is intimidation and harrasment that they are responsible for and could they please ensure that the matter has been dealt with accordingly.

By giving responsability to the contractors and to the council you are making both be responsible for action and a reply if it is in writing.

Hope this helps.

I also have had problems with Chandlers. I contacted National Debt Line to complain enquire if what the Bailiff was saying to me was correct. He told me that he could come back and remove my goods whist I was at work, and leave the locksmith to deal with the door. National debt line told me that they can never enter like this unless a peacful entry has been made in the past. They advised I report them to the Law Enforcement Agency (kind of an onbudsman for bailiffs) Isent a copy to them and also to Hackney Council about the company they were using. They soon changed their tune. NEVER open the door, tell them to get back into their car and when you see them doing this, then you can go outside to talk to them (if you wish) Eventually your debt will go back to Hackney Council anyway.

NEVER open the door, tell them to get back into their car and when you see them doing this, then you can go outside to talk to them (if you wish)

Be wary when doing this - there may be TWO bailiffs and one may be hiding.

• 2 weeks later...

hi soory its taken so long to get back to you ,thanks for the advise, i have yet again been to the council today 17/4/07, as they have been round yet again and have dumped £210 on the bill what for im not quite sure possibly because he turned up in a van , i said to him im not paying for a non existant bill and explained i had tried to gain access to the account on line to which it says no such ref number, he called his office the lady |the lady said that the number had expired, what ever that is supposed to mean in bailiff terms, either it exists or it doesnt !! he suggested i get in contact with the council and he will be back after 12 tommorrow.

so back i went , i tried to explain myself to the lady there, stating as above the 2 bills, she said one was cancelled but the other was still outstanding , so explained i could not access thier web site with the number given , she called them to be told it was just a glitch in thier system, it seems to have been a glitch since they first sent me the letter!! and suggested i tried again in the morning,

im exasperated, ive had to hide my car as he saw me drive off in it, my children are distressed at the thought of losing thier things

i dont deny i owe for my council tax and have tried on line to make payment, will they eventually send it back to the council??

i am a single parent, am i deemed vunerable because of this? i am also on housing benefit but get no council tax benefit

any further advise would greatly be appreciated

i also forgot to add i am curently in an IVA to which chandlers were made aware of when one of thier baliffs called , he took my insolvency practioners business address and phone number , i was lead to believe that they would get in touch with him and things would be sorted that way

• 1 year later...

I am so glad that I am not the only one with this problem.

I dont know what to do. I have received letters from them threatening to remove goods. The first time they turned up they stuck £500 of charges onto my account. I have written to them and asked for some arrangement for these to be reduced as I was actually in hospital having given birth 2 hours earlier!!! No repsonse. I have also asked for info to try and access my account online but no repsonse to my letters or emails.

They have been round a number of times 5 or 6 now and I just refuse to answer the door or talk to them.

I have spoken to my council (Rother District Council) to try and see if they could help but they werent bothered with helping, they just said I needed to accept their payment terms. Is aid not possible. I was offering £30 a week but they wanted £70. Once I told the council that I have tried so hard to sort something out and wanted it sorting asap as I was heavily pregnant ( Due in 5 days of the call), then he changed his tone and said if I didnt accept the payment they were after they would put me in prison!!!!

I have now reached the end of my tether. I though after 3 visits there were ment to thorw it bck to the council!

Also when they first came round and wacked on all the charges, they also levied a car, which wasnt mine and I need to try and sort out. The car was not taxed and was told by my landlord that I was in breach of my tenancy agreement and have to get it removed, so when I phoned chandlers they said yes just get rid of it it is of no use to us and would cost me more for them to get rid of it!!! But hang on they have charged me £43 fort he privilidge!!!!

I wont even go to them when they are walking away as I have often thought about them hiding as you can hide round the corner and can eaily gain access that way. They sometimes even park there van in the next road so I dont know its them knocking on the door.

It has been really depressing as in all the hot weather we have been having I have had to keep all windows and doors closed accept for a sunday and I dont feel thats right... just so they cant get in!!!! Its not fair on the kids either cause all they want to do is play in the garden!!