Paypal - They've been paid and we're not pals!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sold a camera on ebay last year.

I went to withdraw the money from my paypal account and put in my bank details.

Paypal said 'You cannot enter these bank details as they are being used by another paypal account holder'.

Or words to that effect.

I dont know anyone I would give my bank details to, and don't give authority out to any other people.

Anyway after countless phone calls and emails, two months passed, and a letter to Paypal Europe, they gave me my bank account back.

A month later I bought a cheap photographic light softener from Germany on ebay. I went to pay, and put my switch card details on to Paypal.

You've guessed it, I cant use my switch card as its being used by another Paypal account user.

I have rang and emailed them to let them know.

The thing is if i get a new card it will have the same number across the middle, which is my bank account and sort code number.

Paypal have now locked up my switch card from all users including me and sent me a denial of any wrongdoing.

I still cant use Paypal.

I wrote to the data protection registrar (Commissioner for Information) and they are investigating.

I have since got a new switch card, same number across the middle, different issue and security code.

When I enter it into Paypal,it says that it is also being used by another Paypal account holder. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I had a very similar problem with paypal, and I can't use my card on any other accounts, ie, my husbands ebay account because my card is registered to my ebay account, anyway, I wrote a stinking letter to paypal and they credited my account with £50 and removed my card details...or so I thought, my card is still registered with paypal, but I can log onto my hubby's ebay account and pay for things using my paypal address.

Did that make sense?

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

Just a suggestion to all PayPal users. I would suggest using a credit card only on paypal. To cover yourselves against the risk of fraudulent users taking your money, withdrawing it from paypal and then not sending the goods. Nothing Paypal can do as they've taken the money.

If you use a credit card, you can chargeback the amount to paypal via the credit company.

Matt

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton.

Advice offered by MattyH is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt. Please research any information I have offered, as I will not be held liable for any incorrect advice i've given you.

<--------- If my advice has helped, please tip my scales. 8)

For Further advice come into the Chat Room: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/chat/flashchat.php

FAQ's : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Step By Step Instructions ; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like they listened to you.

I am single and am in no way connected with any other person who I would give my bank details to.

If they freeze my details so no-one can use my bank account or switch card I lose out.

During one of my 20 minute conversations with Paypal they did allow me to overhear that the bank details were with a German sounding companies email address (I wondered if it was somewhere I had bought camera equipment from), and the switch card was allocated to a woman with an English sounding name.

I don't suppose these people know they have access to these strange accounts.

I wrote to Paypal saying I didn't care as long as they let me use MY bank and switch card for MY Paypal account.

They then wrote their final response.

Their final response detailed each time I had added or removed a bank or card details from my Paypal account.

It does not mention anyone elses Paypal account.

It is only when the final response from Paypal comes through that you are recommended to write to the Information Commissioner.

That was my last step.

A number of people on Ebay forums have found that not all credit card companies will do chargebacks from PayPal, because they view PayPal as a third party or intermediary.

Personally I use PayPal only to pay for goods on Ebay. I gave up accepting it as a payment method some time ago - it provides no protection for sellers, the fees are very steep and the customer service is non-existent.

A number of people on Ebay forums have found that not all credit card companies will do chargebacks from PayPal, because they view PayPal as a third party or intermediary.

Personally I use PayPal only to pay for goods on Ebay. I gave up accepting it as a payment method some time ago - it provides no protection for sellers, the fees are very steep and the customer service is non-existent.

Agree with you totally there ScarletPimpernal! ;)

:DABBEY-WON! £1,359.34

:confused:CAPITAL ONE WON £1,523.27+£39court fees.

Hey everyone,

Had same thing as seller and buyer....purchased item from germany...3 months later no item after emailing seller. All replies in German....lol

Didn't make my life easy...had to use online translator....lol

Paypal ruled in my favour and refunded me....then 1 week later asked me for money back as seller had supplied proof of posting.....(Not Delivery) as required under UK consumer law...I believe it is upto the seller to prove delivery??

I also sold a few items and had buyers claim non delivery, even though I had signed recorded delivey proof.....Paypal ruled for the buyers and I lost money and goods....

Paypal do not care....they take your money and then refuse to deal with anything....

I used to like them......Now I avoid them and Ebay alike....being owned by ebay doesn't help......lol

Good luck

Russ

Not sure how the seller being in Germany would affect things. If it were here in the UK, then under trading regulations (someone will undoubtedly step in with the correct piece of legislation - possibly Supply Of Goods And Services Act) the seller is responsible for the item until the buyer has taken delivery of the goods. If RM lose your item in the post, that's for the seller to sort out (particularly as they, and not you, will be in line for compensation).

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I've had problems with PayPal in the past where I sent an item to a buyer and he claimed that he didn't receive it so I had my PayPal account suspended pending investigation.

He wanted his money refunding and it was only a few pounds but I was adamant that I wasn't going to let him beat me. His address on Ebay was different to the one on PayPal and different to the one on the electoral register. I'm guessing he buys items on Ebay, pays for them asking for them to be sent to one of his three addresses (whom friends and family probably live at) and then claims they never arrived because he gives another address as place of residence.

I sent all this 'evidence' to PayPal and Ebay and he dropped the claim. He's no longer a registered user on Ebay but I bet he's set up another account with a different address.

I NEVER use PayPal if I can help it.

Whilst doing a bit of research I found the following site which tells of thousands(?) of other horror stories.

PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system!

Unfortunately, they're not governed by the Banking Code so they can do as they please with our money. If you've got money in the account I guess they earn interest on it and can close the accounts whenever they feel like it. :mad:

Credit Cards

Mint - £100 claimed :-)

Capital One - £60 claimed :-)

Bank Accounts

Barclays - SAR sent 05/02/07

All my PayPal payments come out by direct debit now.

Would hope its alot safer.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

I've had problems with PayPal in the past where I sent an item to a buyer and he claimed that he didn't receive it so I had my PayPal account suspended pending investigation.

He wanted his money refunding and it was only a few pounds but I was adamant that I wasn't going to let him beat me.

It's not a game - if I'd bought an item which hadn't arrived, I'd want my money back too.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It's not a game - if I'd bought an item which hadn't arrived, I'd want my money back too.

Yeah but if you read the rest of the post it becomes clear the buyer HAD received the item. PayPal find for the buyer almost every time, no matter WHAT evidence you send them.

Yeah but if you read the rest of the post it becomes clear the buyer HAD received the item. PayPal find for the buyer almost every time, no matter WHAT evidence you send them.

All I can see is speculation. The only thing PayPal would be interested in is evidence to say the item had been delivered.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

All I can see is speculation. The only thing PayPal would be interested in is evidence to say the item had been delivered.

I think this might be true. Tried to claim for an exercise bike that turned up damaged (could not have happened in transit and feedback weeks later suggested mine was not the only case). I was quite happy to return the bike - once they refunded me enough to do so, but paypal found in favour of the seller.

I'm surprised you feel you should have received a refund whilst still being in benefit of the goods. Since PP would guarantee to refund you, you bore no risk, other than the inconvenience of paying for the items return. If you had done this, you would have received your refund.

I know quite well that it's not a game but I didn't believe they hadn't recieved the item. You've got to remember that not everyone out there is honest and there's always people willing to try and get whatever they can out of you.

Unfortunately, they chose 1st class postage so all I had was proof of postage (I've not bothered listing anything since as it's not worth the hassle anymore, although if I did I'd make sure the only option was recorded). I was confused and tried to help when they said they hadn't got it and I asked them to confirm their delivery address. When they gave a different one to the one they'd originally stated I became suspicious and looked into it a bit further. As I said before, I then found that they had three different addresses to their name (one with Ebay, a different one with PayPal and another on the electoral register - all in London though) and that I had sent it to one of them.

I assume the guy had a [problem] set up with his mates and was doing it to get items for free by saying they hadn't arrived. Told PayPal this and he instantly dropped the complaint which made me think that I was right. He said in his claim that I'd not made contact with him which was a lie (I'd emailed him three times before I sent the item and he'd replied twice) so why was I to think anything else he said was the truth.

I was mistaken when I said that he'd closed his Ebay account - he's made the feedback private so you can't see what people have said about him.

If you check out the site I mentioned, you'll see why I was a bit wary. I've read loads of cases of people having confirmed that they've received the item and then telling PayPal that they haven't/ denying that they've received it. Then, even with recorded delivery PayPal don't seem that interested. That's why I knew that I'd have to prove my case to them. I wanted to make a point to the buyer that he couldn't get away with it everytime.

I'm not saying all people are like this (there are some fantastic buyers and sellers on Ebay) but there's always a risk involved when dealing with unknown buyers/ sellers over the internet because as always there's the few that spoil it for the rest of us.

Credit Cards

Bank Accounts

I'm not saying all people are like this (there are some fantastic buyers and sellers on Ebay) but there's always a risk involved when dealing with unknown buyers/ sellers over the internet because as always there's the few that spoil it for the rest of us.

Agreed - that's why you have to protect yourself. By using Paypal you agree to send all items by Recorded Delivery as a minimum, if you don't do this then they can't help you - the buyer says they haven't received the goods, they have no reason to doubt them. You state yourself that you don't even know for definite that it was some kind of a [problem].

Incidentally, you state it was the buyer who chose First Class postage, but they wouldn't have been able to choose this option had you not made it available.

If I was a buyer and I had the option to choose between First Class or First Class Recorded, I would naturally go for the cheaper option of ordinary First Class - it's in the sellers benefit, not mine, to use Recorded Delivery.

If I was selling and using Paypal I wouldn't make the option available, it would be Recorded or Special, depending on the item's value. No other options. Not that I would be using Paypal anyway as it's too expensive for my liking, but that's a different story altogether! :-)

If I was a buyer and I had the option to choose between First Class or First Class Recorded, I would naturally go for the cheaper option of ordinary First Class - it's in the sellers benefit, not mine, to use Recorded Delivery.

Not only that, but even if you choose not to pay for recorded all responsibility for the goods still remains with the seller. Plenty of listings say otherwise - they are wrong.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I'd never had any problems before but had always asked people to pay by cheque in the past. I thought I'd give PayPal a go for the more recent items and I'd had no problems with it until this item. I'd always offered several postage options in the past so the buyer could choose what they wanted, but believe me I've learnt my lesson now.

Maybe it wasn't a [problem] and it got lost in the post but the more likely theory was that they buy cheap items and get them sent to one of their registered addresses and then say they haven't received them to get freebies. Most people won't fight for a few pounds but unfortunately for them, I'm a stubborn so and so (and I have to have the last say) :p and the guy dropped the issue as soon as I pointed out to PayPal that I had been in contact with the guy, and that he had three different addresses.

I certainly won't be selling to buyers with less than 10 feedback or private feedback in the future, and I agree with you completely about PayPal! :)

Sorry to chrisbrown01 for hijacking the thread - rant over, point made, I'll shut up now! :lol:

Credit Cards

Bank Accounts

Unfortunately, they chose 1st class postage so all I had was proof of postage (I've not bothered listing anything since as it's not worth the hassle anymore, although if I did I'd make sure the only option was recorded).

Just to warn you, I thought Recorded was a good idea until i bought an ipod at christmas. It was dumped outside my front door by postman and No signature obtained. It was raining as well.....

Need I say it was wrecked and Royal mail will only pay upto about £32....

so I lost a fortune.....

They stated to me that recorded doesn't guarentee delivery or even a signature......great service they offer....

Only guarenteed service is 'Special Delivery'.....

hope this helps....

Russ

You shouldn't lose a penny. It's the seller who used the wrong service, you should get your money back in full from the seller. What the seller receives from Royal Mail in compensation is a matter between them and shouldn't make any difference to you whatsoever.

Just to warn you, I thought Recorded was a good idea until i bought an ipod at christmas. It was dumped outside my front door by postman and No signature obtained. It was raining as well.....

so I lost a fortune.....

They stated to me that recorded doesn't guarentee delivery or even a signature......great service they offer....

Only guarenteed service is 'Special Delivery'.....

hope this helps....

Russ

I wonder if you have a valid claim against them for the damage. on the grounds it was caused by their negligence?

Tim

I wonder if you have a valid claim against them for the damage. on the grounds it was caused by their negligence?

See my previous post - only the sender would be able to make a claim.

But even the sender wouldn't be able to claim more than the £32 compenation - Royal Mail are exempt from liability due to negligence, as covered under Section 89 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

Interesting story....

My son sold a laptop on ebay. two main bids one from an obvious [problem] agent and one from a guy down south. the [problem] agent won it but no money arrived etc.etc. sold it to the guy down south with second chance offer. OK fine.

guy down south turns out to be a complete assh*le, it seems he is a dealer/reseller and moaned to ebay / paypal about condition of laptop. laptop was described ok few minor scratches, some wear, fully working etc.

It seems when he got it he dismantled it and was moaning about crumbs and muck UNDER the keyboard. In my opinion once you buy something on ebay, unless it varies from the description by a large margin your stuck with it. once you take it to pieces its yours full stop. anyway i'm rambling

he complained to paypal. paypal froze sons account! went into dispute mode

Paypal found in favour of buyer and buyer had to return laptop.

we recieved laptop with a key missing :mad: ........now the good bit

he didnt tell paypal he'd sent it back in time so paypal refunded US the money

we end up with laptop and money. UNFAIR yes but a good result for us.

He had every opportunity to ask questions, ask for photo's, read description. and even resolve it amicably, but NO he took the other path!

It could have been the other way. the laptop was virtually unsellable with a broken keyboard.

see also PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system!

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D