Credit card charges

speedo101

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I sent a letter to FD claiming back the fees on my credit card and I included the recent £12 charges. FD have sent an offer saying that they won't consider the £12 charges as they are in line with the OFT ruling. Has anybody successfully claimed from FD including any more recent charges after the OFT ruling.

Thanks Speedo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there

I sent a letter to FD claiming back the fees on my credit card and I included the recent £12 charges. FD have sent an offer saying that they won't consider the £12 charges as they are in line with the OFT ruling. Has anybody successfully claimed from FD including any more recent charges after the OFT ruling.

Thanks Speedo

Yes I have, you can still reclaim the £12 as this is not a true reflection of the actual costs. They will repay this amount as well. The OFT report only set this threshold at which the will take action against the bank.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

Hi there

Thanks for your reply Livelylad I was almost sure that was the case but just wanted to check. When you wrote your rejection letter did you mention the disputed charges or just ignore them and ask for the full amount again.

Thanks Speedo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi there

Thanks for your reply Livelylad I was almost sure that was the case but just wanted to check. When you wrote your rejection letter did you mention the disputed charges or just ignore them and ask for the full amount again.

Thanks Speedo

Ask for the full amount again.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.

Hi there

I have now received a reply to the letter that I sent asking for the full amount in which they have said that they are sorry that I remain dissatisfied and again offering me the reduced amount.One paragraph from the letter reads:

Given that we reduced our penalty fees in line with the OFT enquiry, we consider our offer to refund the charges you incurred prior to the reduction to be fair and reasonable. As such our original offer remains. I enclose a further declaration for your consideration.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Speedo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What stage are you at speedo? It is common for the credit card companies to use this as a defence. However, the OFT do not make the law and the charges are still unfair. You can still proceed with your claim and get the whole lot back as livelylad has posted previously.

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

To quote the OFT report on credit card charges:

"We regard the setting of the threshold as a provisional practical measure to move the market towards compliance. We should make it quite clear that we are not inviting the banks to align their charges at such a threshold figure [i.e. £12] We are not proposing that default fees should be equivalent to the threshold, and a court will certainly not consider that a default fee is fair just because it is below the threshold."

Guide to claiming back your bank charges

Most of your questions can be answered by following this link.

Hi there

As I said before I was sure that was the case but it is nice to have it confirmed. I think that I may put your quote from the OFT in my rejection letter this time and see if that helps them to make a "goodwill gesture"

Thanks Speedo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]