• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ali v natwest **WON**

alimehmet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would this help? It has the relevant acts, sections thereof and the appropriate bits of NatWest terms and conditions.

I am having brain overload here. I have my AQ(N150) and there are various letters on this site that are being encouraged to be sent to the judge along with my completed N150. I also have received a letter from Cobbetts informing me of their Defence and Request for Information, which i know they should have, as I sent it registered post to Natwest. Now what is the best course of action here, as I find your letter very information and basically cancels out any CPR18.

I was thinking of just resending to Cobbetts via the courts, rather than direct, Prelim letter, LBA and spreadsheet. Is your letter sufficient? Or do I do a CPR18 Letter to Court, along with a Draft of Particulars?

Hi, Ali

1. Is your claim for over £5K?

2. The draft order you can find in the 'new strategy for Allocation Questionnaire' thread is pretty good, if you're small claims.

3. Did you send the full info to Nat West with your claim - or did you go MCOL? If the latter, then cut through the crap - send the spreadsheets and all info straight to Cobbetts. I know they should have it, because you've sent it to NatWest, but it seems they're inundated.

4. Unfortunately, StoneLaughter is correct: they're sending the same old standard crap out every time.

5. By all means submit your own CPR Part 18 request. I'm drawing one up myself to send them and will post it on my main thread. feel free to make use of it (on a strictly non-commercial basis!)

6. Communicate directly with Cobbetts and copy the court in, if necessary (responses to inadequate offers and normal correspondence needn't be copied), except when you have to reply to the courts, when the process should be reversed. My very, very strong recommendation is that you use Special Delivery: it guarantees next-working-day delivery and has to be signed for. Recorded/registered have a much longer time scale and you may not know if there's been a problem for weeks.

7. Enjoy yourself as much as you can! Read lots - especially - successful threads.

Best wishes

W

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Westy,

When you send that reply above to Cobb defence, do you

1) send a copy to the court as well?

2) submit it on a form or just as a letter?

3) If just as a letter, do you put Particulars of claim on the heading as one has already been sent in, or put 'reply to cobblers defence ( or summat else?)

Hi, Destiny

I sent the original to the Court and copied-in Cobbetts.

I submitted it as a letter and in the form of a response and draft order (as they hadn't addressed the claim). What I missed out from the draft order was reference to CPR Part 16, whcih covers what should be in the defence. that may be why I didn't get my strike-out.

I put 'reply' at the top.

have a look at my main thread for the details.

Hope that helps

Westy

Westy

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

That's OK.

You can get to any posts, and any threads started by anyone, by clicking on their tag to the left of the box. Scroll down the screen until you see, on the left hand side of the frame 'see more posts by this member' and 'see all threads started by this member'. Click on that one and it will be come self-explanatory.

My main thread is here:

(http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/38229-natwesttookmymoney-natwest.html)

As a matter of interest, if you read through it all you will see me progress from cacking myself to the smooth, suave and sophisticated CAGer you see before you now!

:D:D:D

Westy

Westy

Hi, Ali

1. Is your claim for over £5K?

2. The draft order you can find in the 'new strategy for Allocation Questionnaire' thread is pretty good, if you're small claims.

3. Did you send the full info to Nat West with your claim - or did you go MCOL? If the latter, then cut through the crap - send the spreadsheets and all info straight to Cobbetts. I know they should have it, because you've sent it to NatWest, but it seems they're inundated.

4. Unfortunately, StoneLaughter is correct: they're sending the same old standard crap out every time.

5. By all means submit your own CPR Part 18 request. I'm drawing one up myself to send them and will post it on my main thread. feel free to make use of it (on a strictly non-commercial basis!)

6. Communicate directly with Cobbetts and copy the court in, if necessary (responses to inadequate offers and normal correspondence needn't be copied), except when you have to reply to the courts, when the process should be reversed. My very, very strong recommendation is that you use Special Delivery: it guarantees next-working-day delivery and has to be signed for. Recorded/registered have a much longer time scale and you may not know if there's been a problem for weeks.

7. Enjoy yourself as much as you can! Read lots - especially - successful threads.

Best wishes

W

hi Westy

1. Yes, approx £12K

2. Yep read and got some good guidance from it

3. Resending direct to Cobbletts and also sending copies to the court

4. Yes I see they are - and its good that more people on here are also seeing the same letter being dished our by Cobbetts,as it gives encouragement to keep going

5. I have also drawn up my own, you can see it under Letter to Court Requesting CPR18 thread

6. Totally agree with you

7. Oh I cant stop laughing at the tactics the banks and Cobbetts are taking, amazes me how they try to scare people off, but dont realise its actually encouraging more litigation claims against them

Thanks for your kind words and will keep you informed of my progress. I know that with the size of my claim, Cobbetts will defend it more vigorously.

cheers

W

I, too, am approaching £12K. So we're in similar situations.

As for defending vigorously - no sign of that, yet. If they fail to file an adequate defence, I'd strongly recommend you apply for the defence to be struck out under CPR16 (I'm pretty sure it is) and 27 - likely to fail in court. Do it early and do it hard.

W

Westy

Aye, that's the one.

W

Westy

• 2 weeks later...
I, too, am approaching £12K. So we're in similar situations.

As for defending vigorously - no sign of that, yet. If they fail to file an adequate defence, I'd strongly recommend you apply for the defence to be struck out under CPR16 (I'm pretty sure it is) and 27 - likely to fail in court. Do it early and do it hard.

W

Defence has submitted their AQ, which is now with the judge for his consideration - squeeky bum time - as I dont know what the judge will do, I am worried that I havent covered all the bases and that the judge will strike out in favour of the defence. If he does is there any way to have my case reconsidered?

Defence has submitted their AQ, which is now with the judge for his consideration - squeeky bum time - as I dont know what the judge will do, I am worried that I havent covered all the bases and that the judge will strike out in favour of the defence. If he does is there any way to have my case reconsidered?

Yes - resubmit a new case with a good POC and a good response to the defence. However it's extremely unlikely that he'll just strike it out, he'll ask you for more info by a certain deadline and if that's not forthcoming THEN he'll strike out.

• 1 month later...
Thats fantastic Ali, CONGRATULATIONS.

Did you have a court date!

DS

Thanks for the kind words

No - didnt get that far

I did have an Order for Directions put in place when I submitted my AQ. When I received the formal Order from courts I submitted my evidence within 14 days.

Congratulations:D

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Thanks for the kind words

No - didnt get that far

I did have an Order for Directions put in place when I submitted my AQ. When I received the formal Order from courts I submitted my evidence within 14 days.

Ali, I am at a similar stage, both Barclays and GM have failed to respond to directions given by the district judge and the consequence was that their defence would be struck out and Judgment given. Therefore, I have requested Judgement in accordance with the order, and I am just waiting for the Courts now as they are snowed under. In any event my court date for both is 30th April.

So did Nat west just contact you or did you contact them and give them a push!! and did your directions give a judgement if they did not comply.

DS

Bloody hell, 12K! Well done! Have a great holiday. CONGRATS!

Natwest - DPA sent / prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/75363-bump-crapwest.html#post656651

Barclaycard - DPA sent

MSDW - DPA sent

GE Capital - Prelim sent http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/72853-mr-bump-frasercard.html#post629618

RBS bank - DPA sent

RBS card - DPA sent

Student Loans Co - pending

Egg - DPA pending http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/egg/79992-bump-humpty-dumpty.html#post707138

Ali, I am at a similar stage, both Barclays and GM have failed to respond to directions given by the district judge and the consequence was that their defence would be struck out and Judgment given. Therefore, I have requested Judgement in accordance with the order, and I am just waiting for the Courts now as they are snowed under. In any event my court date for both is 30th April.

So did Nat west just contact you or did you contact them and give them a push!! and did your directions give a judgement if they did not comply.

DS

Hi DS

I made no contact with Natwest, I followed all the correct procedures, upon which, after the Order for Directions was made, I responded with all the evidence which was requested, and sent full copies, including letters to the court about Cobbetts behaviour, to Cobbetts.

I received a cheque literally after 2 weeks I submitted my court bundle to the courts, so I didnt even get so far as a court date. I have now completed my Notice of Discontinuance and sent back to the courts and Cobbetts.

Cobbetts in their settlement letter made it conditional that I enter a confidentially agreement and that I dont pursue any further charges. I spoke with Cobbetts over the phone yesterday and stated that these 2 conditions are unacceptable to me, they have sent me an email detailing that they wont pursue the breach of confidentially and that i can pursue further claims.

I have read a few negative emails about Cobbetts, but in my experience with them, they have been quite diligent and forthright in their approach. In some respects you have to feel quite sorry for them, as they dont know whats hit them, and they are being inundated with all these claims.

Anyway good luck to you all, i am now focussing my attention on my fiances claim, so you will still see me about and feel free to PM.

cheers

Ali