AVON Cosmetics - Help Please!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

I hope someone may be able to help me.

About a month ago I had a nasty reaction to a facial wash which I purchased off Avon.

The long and short of it is that for over a week my face was very sore and dry.

I sent the product back through my agent and then filled in a form detailing what happened.

They have written to me offering me £10 to go towards the cost of purchasing washes to help it heal.

I wrote back saying it was an insult - however they are still only offering the £10.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

Thanks.

Mamma Caz :p

"Round 'em up, put 'em in a field and Bomb the B******ds"

Particularised Claim 05/10/06

AQ filed 14/09/06

Defenced filed 05/09/06

MCOL served by 05/08/06

Thanks but only if you pay it all let 17/07/06

Offer let received 12/07/06

Letter before Action 04/07/2006

Barclays - Letter of Intent 16/06/2006

Classic Confidence Settled 13/10/06

Classic Confidence LBA 18/09/06

Classic Confidence 1st claim let sent 30/08/06

Classic Confidence - Data Protection Act let 03/08/06

You were allergic to the face wash. How is that their fault? It's obviously generally safe else they would not be selling it in the first place. Cosmetic products are also required to provide all allergen information on the packaging. I'd say you were lucky to be offered the £10 good will gesture.

I'd suggest checking the ingredients to find out what you could be allergic to so you can avoid it in the future.

Doompixie, how do you know that Mamma-Caz is allergic to the facewash? There are loads of reasons why the reaction might have happened, some of which might be Avon's fault. And even if it was an allergic reaction, reading the list of ingredients is unlikely to help. How is she going to tell which one she is allergic to?

By looking up common allergens. And true, I don't know for sure it was an allergic reaction, but it sounds likely. There are very strict regulations concerning the manufacture of cosmetics, it's unlikely that something mysteriously went wrong.

I could be wrong, but the lack of information in the above post leads me to believe this is the case, and I doubt you would legally get anywhere without specific details on what caused the reaction. But what do I know? :p

I had a nasty reaction to a massage oil a few months ago which left me with a very uncomfortable rash down my back for 2 weeks, including my birthday. Annoying, yes, but my first thought was to avoid the stuff, not sue the company who bottled it.

Just seems like a bit of a trigger happy response to an unfortunate event. Sorry if this isn't the case, but you should leave more details to ensure accurate and useful advice :)

I wasn't looking to sue, and yes perhaps I should have given some more info, all I was looking for was some advice about how to get little more from them to cover the cost of the products I had to use to soothe my skin.

I am not stupid enough to use an item again if it causes inflammation.

Sorry that no-one was able to help, only rant!!

AQ filed 14/09/06

Defenced filed 05/09/06

MCOL served by 05/08/06

If the scenario is as Doompixie says, and I suspect this would be the case, they've not done anything wrong and presumably the ingredients including allergens were on the label of the product as they should be. It isn't their fault that you were allergic to the product, so they don't have to pay you anything. I'd thank them for the £10 offer and take it, if I were you.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

To draw a line under this -

I normally have no problems so therefore before using the product I would not have known which chemical was to cause a reaction.

I am going to continue using Avon products, but not for my face.

Its a shame that the only responses I have received have been constructive criticism and not constructive advice.

AQ filed 14/09/06

Defenced filed 05/09/06

MCOL served by 05/08/06

My constructive advice was not to take it further as legally it is very unlikely you would be entitled to anything. It's not criticism at all :)

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Gosh,

I have really sensitive skin and a lot of products make my skin flare up!

But mostly its trial and error, and yes sometimes I have bought expensive make up which I can,t wear, but I alaways think "well I can't use that one again".

I wouldn't blame the product or manufacturer(even if labelled hypoallergenic).

I just have weird skin!!!!!!

£10.00 was very generous.I

Was the product an avocado based one? If so it's probably that. I just recently discovered my avocado allergy in the story described above and in researching found it's not uncommon. Especially if you have previously had allergic reactions to latex.

Probably unhelpful, but just in case :)

£10.00 was very generous.I

Very generous! They do not have to give you a penny. The beauty industry tends to be self regulated, if you buy some thing and have a reaction to it then the general opinion would be dont buy it again. The only time you have even a small hope of come back is if you brought the product in a Salon or Spa and it was recommended to you by a therapist

To avoid recation in the future you could go to your doctor and get a allergy test.

Just out of curiosity how long after you used the product did your skin flare up? What did the flare up look like?

• 5 years later...

Hello

I have had a really nasty allergic reaction to Avon make up remover wipes! I don't usually use Avon products but I was staying at my sisters on Monday and used her make up remover wipes at around 11pm. The next day my face was very red and very itch and hot so I took an antihistamine when I got home that next day but by today (Wednesday) my face looks like I've been 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. So bad I had to go to the Doctors, so now have steroids and more antihistamines!! I won't be going near any Avon products again!!

No point in fighting for more than £10 you won't get it as it's a very slim chance that you or I would be allergic we are in a very small percentage of people who are unfortunate enough to react.

I am allergic to Body shop stuff to I must just be unfortunate to have skin which is sensitive to certain chemicals in the products.

Hope you are ok now.

Inge