• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TIATIA V NATIONWIDE (Scottish but claiming in England)

tiatia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Just going to post my first letter asking for my charges back. Wish me luck.

I live in Scotland but my claim is for £4000 with the interest added on so will be claiming via the english courts.

If anyone has any tips about this please let me know as I must admit I am a bit nervous.

One question at the moment though if anyone can help - at the moment my letters have my scottish address on them. Do I only need to use the english address for the MCOL?

hi tiatia, good luck i too live in scotland and i recently won my claim with nationwide ( just under 4k) and i used mcol, i used my aunts address and this was fine, much better than the paltry 750 we can claim up here!! my aunt only received two letters for me and she scanned them up to me then sent them on........ best of luck with your claim, let me know how you are going to do it. x

PLEASE HELP OTHERS, WHEN YOU WIN YOUR CLAIM GIVE A LITTLE BACK

Nationwide **WON**- £3,880.00 14/03/07

Nationwide Claim 2 LBA sent 13/03/07

Hi Tiatia....I live in Scotland, but as I don't have an English address I can use, I will befiling my claim in Berwick upon Tweed, the nearest English County Court. You can do it all by post (unless the bank defends, and you actually have to appear in court there, but this is unlikely.

Hi Lori and Libby....thanks for replying.

I haven't quite decided how I am going to do it yet just that I am going through the english courts because of the amount,but hopefully everyone with their insight will be abe to help. I,m off on hols this week and next so basicaly trying to read up and get everything prepared as I intend to fight all the way!

I have used my own adress on my first letter and will use my own address on my letter before action. This is when I make the decision re the courts.

1. Do I now use a friends address in England and do it mcol or do I use my own address and find the first court over the border in England nearest to me? Either way because of the amount I am prepared to go in person if they wish me to appear. Any advice appreciated.

Lori, you said your aunt only received 2 letters, are you able to say what these were for?

Libby, my first charge was in Jan 02 so I am claiming from then.

hi again tiatia, yes the letters my aunt received on my behalf were the acknowledgment of service and then the notice of issue, i found this way very straighforward, however i must point out that there is a chance it could have been moved to a local court which could possibly have been in northampton, i too would have gladly went down there for a few days, best of luck and let us know what you decide to do. enjoy your hols!! x

Hi all, just a question if anyone has an answer.

I am claiming off a joint account but I am claiming independently in my own name. If there were more charges that could be claimed because I missed some out could my husband then claim these independently at the end of my claim?

if you have missed them out just add them on now....you haven't filed at court yet and this should be fine..............the worry would be that you were stopped later for already claiming.although i'm not sure about this........hopefully someone will come along and clarify. x

thanks Lori

I feel a bit stupid now because on my letter I claimed for £3400 of charges. Even though I thought I had read everything I was a bit confused and didn't realise I could claim for cheque card misuse fee and unauthorised overdraft fee. This would then take it up to near the £5000 mark excluding any interest. When you say "the worry woud be that you were stopped later for already claiming" did you mean in relation to a second claim? do you think I should know redraft a new letter and start again or just send a letter stating I had missed these out and they are to be added on and keep to my original timescale?

help much appreciated anyone. thanks

Hi Tiatia,

Not to worry. You will be fine the total amount can be submitted at court bundle stage, including all of these other charges.

You will have to compile a full list for your spread sheet and the new total for the court,The bank will check the amount.

I did pretty much the same with Halifax and their total was more than I had asked for.

Good Luck,

Happyolddog.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update. Nationwide did not respond to my first letter!

Sent off LBA on 26 April. I updated on it the charges we were claiming so it amounts to over £4000 now. As I had put the interest on the last letter(my mistake) I left it out this time but stated that I would claim interest if it went further ie they did not pay me back my charges.

I am going to do it by MCOL - am I right in saying that I can start filling this out on the computer in preparation for them not replying to the LBA?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Tiatia....Don't know too much about MCOL (Lori will keep you right on that).I filed my son's claim (about £1900 all in) at Berwick and Morpeth County Court, and it was deemed served yesterday, so here we go. I didn't have an address I could use in England, so it was the only way to go. My son and I are quite prepared to travel to Berwick if it reaches court, having had some lovely weekends there at the Holiday Centre! The good thing about doing it direct with the court, is you send 3 copies of N1 and schedule of charges at the time, and the court takes care of distributing them for you, unlike MCOL. If you want the address of the court in Berwick just let me know. Good luck,

HI Tiatia, and yes your right you can fill it out in preperation, you can save your work on mcol and be ready to hit the submit button as soon as the LBA time is up, be sure to check that they have recieved your LBA if you sent by recorded delivery you will be able to access this information using the track and trace facility on the royal mail website. best of luck to both you and libby xx

I hope you do, any worries just post them xx

Hi, Nationwide have now replied to our second letter with standard reply.

Have started to fill in and prepare my MCOL so just have a few questions if anyone can help.

I know some may sound silly but I found it quite scary!

1.Lori1 if you are out there or anyone who lives in scotland but claimed in england

In claimants details - There is a box for REFERENCE DETAILS for the service address which is my own reference that will appear on the claim form sent to the defendent - any suggestions as to what I should put in here?

2. I presume the defendant was an organisation -Yes? and no second defendant-Yes. I don,t send it to Charles Bacon as an individual- no

3. I used the nationwide registerd address from this website- they came back with Nationwide Bldg Soc, Nationwide House, Pipers Way, Swindon, SN3 1TA. I stuck with the one on this website, is that ok?

4.On the POC it states "the defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches - I am not claiming overdraft interest so should I take the interest bit out?

On the POc no 7 it states Costs allowed by the court - is this the court costs.

5.It is a joint account and we both have the same authority on it. Mcol only allows for one name as claimaint. I,ve done it in my name. Is it needed for me to put my husbands name on it anywhere in the Poc's or state that this claim is for both of us?. I am a little concerned because they never replied to our first letter in my name only but replied to our joint letter so would prefer to be prepared.

6. Could I start preparing my spreadsheets now and then update them by updating the date?

Hope anyone out there can answer my questions and reassure me and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Tiatia...Michael Browne has an excellent post called GETTING MCOL RIGHT posted on 4/03/2007. (I don't know how to do a link to it, sorry) Lori will probably know all the answers to your questions, but this post makes it very clear what to do......good luck

Hiya,

Don't know much about MCOL or claiming in Scotland, but I can do links:

Getting MCOL Right

K.

Kelly

Settled: Nationwide £372.55

Before you do anything read this:

Guide to Reclaiming Bank Charges

Most questions can be answered by checking out these links:

Frequently Asked Questions

Step by step instructions

Letter Templates

And don't forget to use the search facility! Chances are your question has already been answered on another thread. Good luck

Update - Filed MCOL today the 13 May 2005. £120.00 is a lot of money but hopefully all worthwhile. Tomorrow I send off 2 copies of charges with covering letter (next day special delivery) to MCOL.

I keep thinking I,ve done something wrong but I suppose thats natural!

• 2 weeks later...

well done guys you seem to be doing very well, hopefully we will all have our money soon!!